Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
ncatva

2014 Keystone Cougar 337FLS

I'm looking to purchase a 2014 Keystone Cougar 337FLS private party deal.

I was just wondering if anyone could help out with the pros and cons of this model and floor plane..

Is there know areas to pay special attention to when I go back for the 2nd walk though and look over any know chassis issues on these units I know its on a libbert frame and built to the Keystone specks.

Looking forward to hear your input Thank you

I hope this is posted in the right area I searched the forum and came up with a 337fls section but didn't see anything in regards to this nor did I see a way to post a new tread to the 337fls section.
ncatva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

If the floor plan works for YOU, then it’s a good one. Take your time and have the seller show you that everything works. There is a PDI check sheet on the forum you can download and print out. Private sales can get you a better price, but unless you take the time to check everything it can be a bigger expense than you ever figured.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
ncatva

Thank you for reply

The floor plan is one that I really like I feel these plans make it more like home. I'm just new to the 5th wheel class and I see so many stories about the libberts chassis's in the pin box areas. Now I know you don't here everything in these stories like on the overload it all the time changed out the the hitch to a differnt design or to a goose design. I already on spending some time with the owner going over everything and making sure everything is in good working order.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The issues with Lippert’s frame and the pin box aren’t that common. Since the trailer is used, you have options on what type of hitch system you want to use that won’t void the frame warranty. Do you know what pin box it has now? What are you going to use to tow it with?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncatva View Post
Thank you for reply

The floor plan is one that I really like I feel these plans make it more like home. I'm just new to the 5th wheel class and I see so many stories about the libberts chassis's in the pin box areas. Now I know you don't here everything in these stories like on the overload it all the time changed out the the hitch to a differnt design or to a goose design. I already on spending some time with the owner going over everything and making sure everything is in good working order.
Lippert builds about 95% of all fifth wheel chassis for the entire RV industry. There are a couple of "small, luxury custom RV builders that construct their own chassis, but all the rest, from Forest River, THOR, Fleetwood (the biggest manufacturers) all use Lippert chassis...

Honestly, from about 2010 to present, I don't believe you can buy a "modest or moderately priced fifth wheel that isn't constructed on a Lippert chassis.

So, essentially, you'll either have to "live with Lippert" or not own a fifth wheel.

As for your concern about "superstructure frame cracks", of the half million or so fifth wheels built from about 2000 to current, you can likely count the number of people who have reported cracks to be in the "less than 1/10 of 1 percent"... I'd suspect that on a 2014 Cougar fifth wheel, unless it's sat immobile since it was built, if there's a problem with superstructure cracking, it'll be visible in the lower roadside front corner of the upper slide opening. If you don't see a crack there or signs of a crack, then it's probable that there's no cracking potential to worry about. These things don't typically go for 6 or 7 years, then suddenly develop a "long reported and discussed, illusionary problem... In other words, if it's a 2014 and it's not showing signs of a crack, chances are it's not going to develop one right after you buy it....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
ncatva

chuckster57
I do not know the type / model of hitch other then the owner said they have not changed anything on the unit since they bought new and hat its been a great unit issues free. They have put around 20,000 miles on it going Minnesota south Dakota' Wisconsin and then back here to NY. Ram 2500 6.7 with a B&W 20K
Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
ncatva

JRTJH

Yea I know lippert is used in 95 -97% of RV's so it tuff to find a unit with out unless you go with a Northwoods,Norco,Luxe and one or two others. I didn't see any signs of crack on the front wall or around any of the slides.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:39 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncatva View Post
JRTJH

Yea I know lippert is used in 95 -97% of RV's so it tuff to find a unit with out unless you go with a Northwoods,Norco,Luxe and one or two others. I didn't see any signs of crack on the front wall or around any of the slides.

Might want to rule out Norco for a 5th wheel.

"Just spoke with BAL/NORCO technician in Elkhart, IN. My concerns/instincts about jacking the NORCO NXG frame were correct. He told me that many users mistakenly treat this frame like other I-beam and box channel chassis, and it is a "mistake" to do so. The frame is designed for ultralights, and it is designed very differently from traditional coach frames. Therefore, it requires some special handling."

Luxe....shell out some major cash.

Northwoods I'm not sure about. They used to make trailers too small for me but looks like they're growing them. How good are the frames as they try to grow them...??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Cracks aren't common in any location other than the pinbox and the forward bedroom slide. While there can be a crack almost anywhere, those two locations are where almost all cracks occur.

You can check for pinbox cracks by hitching the trailer to the tow vehicle, use the landing gear to lift the pinbox/hitch several inches (don't try to lift the truck off the ground, just take the weight off the hitch). Measure the pinbox/frame distance. Then raise the landing gear to put all the pinbox weight on the hitch and remeasure the pinbox/frame distance. It should not be significantly different. If it is, there's an issue with the superstructure/pinbox welds/frame.

Then, (as you've already done) check for cracks in the corners of the slides. If you don't see any, I wouldn't worry too much about the frame integrity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:09 AM   #10
ncatva

JRTJH

They are the only location I'm aware of for cracking also, I will do the Measuring of the pinbox/frame to see what we have for distances movement. The only other thin That I know of and have seen is twisting at the Suspension equalizer. I would be changing the equalizer system out to a MORryde LRE4000 an adding the MORryde X Factor crossmember kit if I can do so with out disturbing the underbelly.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:20 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

You can do that suspension upgrade without disturbing the underbelly material. I have installed a few, it can be a bit time consuming but well worth the effort.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #12
ncatva

chuckster57

I knew the MORryde LRE4000 wouldn't be a issues to do for I have done accouple upgrades with the 3000 it was just the MoRryde X Factor that I wasn't sure on. Yes they can take some time to get done and done right defiantly worth the time and money

Tags
cougar, keystone