Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
bobnelms

Mini Split Ductless AC Upgrade?

Hi all,

I have a 37 foot Cougar 5th wheel with 2 Dometic AC units. My wife and I love our RC, but I CANNOT STAND THE AC NOISE ANY MORE!!!

I can't even imagine how these manufacturers can install these loud beasts. The main AC unit is ducted, but still much too loud for talking with each other -- and forget the TV. The bedroom AC unit is NOT ducted. No way could anyone sleep in that noise.

So I recently started seeing advertisements about the Mini-Split AC units -- where the Compressor and Condenser would be mounted at the rear of the RC -- and then one or two wall units (where evaporator resides) would site inside.

Almost NO NOISE AT ALL.

Have any of you made this upgrade -- and if so, how did it go?
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Tbos

That is how they cool the tiny homes that are all over now.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I have no experience with the unit you refer to but...

Our main ducted AC makes noise but not so much that we can't watch TV so I'm at a loss there. Ours is a Dometic 15k. Our bedroom is a non ducted Dometic Penguin II which IS loud. We like the "loud" because I am a light sleeper and most noises that you can hear thru a trailer wall will wake me; and it takes me an hour an a half to go back to sleep - so, we like loud. That wasn't always the case. When we got married going on 52 years ago DW didn't like the noise either, now she can't sleep without it. Guess it all began when I was young - I didn't have a bedroom so my "sleeping" place was a cot. I chose to put it under the refrigerated air window unit. Now THAT was noisy and trained me well I guess.

I do understand the noise bothering others though and think a lot of the newer units are coming with "low noise" AC variations. The unit refer to might take care of the problem but as I said, I don't know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #4
Sulphur1

Took the noisy Dometic off the roof our Cougar HC & installed a Mitsubishi Electric dual split (2kW head unit in b/rm & 3.6kW in living area. Runs all day when boondocking in 90F + Aussie summer on 400aH Lithium & 1.9kW solar using approx. 1.1kW power (-as long as the sun's up!) to maintain 70F. In eco mode power use will come down to 800W or less on main head unit. Solar panels doing most of the electrical input. Very quiet set to Heat for sleeping on cold nights connected to mains.
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:06 AM   #5
bobnelms

Thanks Sulfur1. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here. I'm talking about a unit where the condenser and compressor are located in a unit outside (a rectangular unit approximately 2 feet by 3 feet by 8 inches) -- and then the evaporator and fan units are located inside -- usually hung on a wall. They are ductless units. Is this what you are talking about -- and if so, what is the model number?
Old 05-31-2019, 04:03 AM   #6
Sulphur1

That's correct bobnelms. I'm in Australia & installed it a few years ago - took the Dometic off the roof & replaced it with a Maxxair vent fan.
"MXZ-2D52VA - 2 head/5.2 kW
For economical operation and to enhance both interior and exterior aesthetics, the MXZ-2D52VA outdoor unit can be connected to two indoor units in a number of different model combinations.
Features
• 5.2 kW cooling / 6.1 heating capacity
• Connect up to two indoor units to one outdoor unit "
It was the smallest multi split available from this manufacturer - works great on heat or cool. You should have similar in the US
Old 05-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur1 View Post
That's correct bobnelms. I'm in Australia & installed it a few years ago - took the Dometic off the roof & replaced it with a Maxxair vent fan.
"MXZ-2D52VA - 2 head/5.2 kW
For economical operation and to enhance both interior and exterior aesthetics, the MXZ-2D52VA outdoor unit can be connected to two indoor units in a number of different model combinations.
Features
•5.2 kW cooling / 6.1 heating capacity
•Connect up to two indoor units to one outdoor unit "
It was the smallest multi split available from this manufacturer - works great on heat or cool. You should have similar in the US

Have any pictures of your setup?
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
Sulphur1

I'll be down where it's stored next (this) week & take some. Will have to work out how to add to post then!
Old 06-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
Hi all,

I have a 37 foot Cougar 5th wheel with 2 Dometic AC units. My wife and I love our RC, but I CANNOT STAND THE AC NOISE ANY MORE!!!

I can't even imagine how these manufacturers can install these loud beasts. The main AC unit is ducted, but still much too loud for talking with each other -- and forget the TV. The bedroom AC unit is NOT ducted. No way could anyone sleep in that noise.

So I recently started seeing advertisements about the Mini-Split AC units -- where the Compressor and Condenser would be mounted at the rear of the RC -- and then one or two wall units (where evaporator resides) would site inside.

Almost NO NOISE AT ALL.

Have any of you made this upgrade -- and if so, how did it go?
My 2017 Cougar 30RLI was the same-unducted in the bedroom and a noisy ducted in the living area. The bedroom had A/C ducts but little air came through them (just like the furnace duct in the bedroom floor, all show, no flow).
So, we bought a new 5th wheel from a different manufacturer. Same air conditioners-Coleman, but ducting that works and a higher ceiling and both A/Cs share the duct work. We have not yet needed the bedroom (front) A/C as the ducting is more efficient than our former Cougar.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
larryflew

Have read a lot of good reviews on Wacko noise reducers lately.

https://wackoproducts.com/
Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
larryflew

Have read some great reviews about Wacko noise reduction add ons lately.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
fulltilt

Hi Bobnelms
Ducted AC is only true if both the return side & the supply side is ducted...you are getting return air noise...to eliminate it you have to cap the return grille in your living room & move it to both sides of the ceiling near the walls, like the newer Montana's. Noise travels in a straight line, until you baffle it or turn it. Ductless AC was never designed to travel down roads threaded fittings & screw terminals as such. Not sure on the R410 refrigerant either, during down periods it may chemically separate. Now you are totally confused right !
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #13
sgrol

I have installed 3 mini split units at my home. 1 ton unit in master BR, 1 ton in office and 1.5 ton in upstairs bedroom. These are in addition to my central units. The mini splits are whisper quiet and super efficient. Have been wanting to install in TH but not sure how I would plumb the units. The inside evaporator has to have a drain line routed somewhere outside. Freon tubing and electrical also has to be routed to them from the outside condenser unit.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
ranch.manager

watched several videos on the Wacko. looks like restricted airflow to me. would love to hear from those who have it installed about the impact on air flow
ranch.manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #15
Sulphur1

Some pics of the Mitsubishi Electric dual split in our 2011 Cougar HC:
The rear compressor box door is normally closed with compressor heat exchanger air being drawn in from a chute in the underside coreplast and exhausted through the round grill (covered for winter).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_130135.jpg
Views:	1270
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	22209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_125044.jpg
Views:	5073
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	22210   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_130029.jpg
Views:	1917
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	22211   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_125256.jpg
Views:	4046
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	22212  
Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #16
sgrol

Nice! How did you run the freon lines and condensate drains?
Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #17
TandE

Mini Split Ductless AC Upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur1 View Post
Some pics of the Mitsubishi Electric dual split in our 2011 Cougar HC:

The rear compressor box door is normally closed with compressor heat exchanger air being drawn in from a chute in the underside coreplast and exhausted through the round grill (covered for winter).

That’s a very clean install I wish I had room to install one on mine. I kinda do but would have to give up storage space. Might have to explore this more. How did you wire it up?

Off topic but where did you get the boxes for the taillights?
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
Sulphur1

Freon lines (they are quite small) run with normal domestic insulated piping held in place with styrene foam (aerosol) to prevent vibration. Drain lines also domestic a/c running through electrical conduit bends to keep shape. Removed section of wall ply (lots of staples!) in bathroom to run lines, electrical & drain inside wall for main room unit. Bedroom ones run in plastic a/c ducting normally used outside of house (see LHS of window). Dropped underside coreplast to run lines, etc from one end to the other. Did not have to use anti-vibration mounts as no noise or vibration when getting to sleep. Easy install!
Old 06-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #19
Sulphur1

TandE - Used some room behind rear kitchen cupboard to keep outside unit box small. Some just mount on rear bar. Wired up in accordance with transportable building regulations in Australia - cabling in plastic conduit, outdoor unit isolating switch and dedicated circuit breaker. A friend made the fibreglass boxes for the tail lights.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:50 AM   #20
bobnelms

Sulphur1,

What did you do with the two holes in the ceiling left by the removal of the 2 roof-top ACs? That is, how did you plug those holes?

Tags
upgrade