Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
sleeepr

Mattress topper, or complete exchange

New TT and ready to go for the first real trip next month. Mattress (cheap short queen) isn't that bad, but could be a whole lot better. Wondering what anyone thought about getting a 2.5 to 4 inch memory foam topper vs. new mattress?
sleeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First thing we did before we even did our first night. Had one in our previous fiver, and knew going into the new one it would be needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Some RV mattresses are actually "pretty good" and then some are nothing more than a 4" slab of cheap foam while others are a "minimum quality" innerspring wrapped in 1/2" of that same cheap foam.

What you get in a Summerland is very likely to be the cheapest mattress available from the "lowest bid contractor". It won't be the best mattress Keystone can find, that's for sure. Now, along with that, some people can sleep on the floor and wake up refreshed and feeling great while some can't get a good night's rest, even on the best mattress available. So, what works for one may be the "pits" for another and what even the pickiest owner finds acceptable may not work for you.

I'd suggest that since you already own the mattress, try it out, see how it sleeps, if you like it, great, if you don't, then consider your options. Depending on how you sleep, you'll know whether adding a topper will help or whether there's nothing to help and you'll need to start from scratch with a new and better mattress.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
sleeepr

Again, thanks to you folks for quick response. John's point is well taken. We did a night at local CG to make sure we were able to set things up right, and it wasn't too bad. I've looked on Amazon, find a number of toppers. Does anyone have recommendations pro or con, specific things to look for or avoid? Thanks.
sleeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
busterbrown

I gaurantee you that your Springdale will be the most unforgiving mattress you'll ever lay on. About all trailers in a budget/ultralight class of coaches will be equipped with "budget" mattresses. Just go to any RV show and lie down on the main bedroom's mattress of "XYZ" budget coach. They all feel about the same and require toppers if you want a good night's sleep. If space is allowed, you can always upgrade to a full-size queen (60×80) with a mattress of your choice.

FWIW, We (wife and I) "upgraded" to a mid-grade memory foam mattress (purchased on Amazon) for our S&B bed. It replaced a very expensive, premium Simmons Beautyrest after just 4 years. Never thought I would ever think a "boxed" foam mattress would perform better than a Premium inner spring mattress. But it has and at a fraction of the price. We currently have a 4" topper on the "cardboard" OEM mattress. It's okay, definitely an improvement. We may upgrade to a full foam mattress next season.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
Desert185

We tried a foam topper from Costco and we find it to be pretty comfortable. The final option, should that not work, was to purchase a mattress from Tuft and Needle like we did for the house. So far, the topper works well.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
gearhead

I went around the corner to WalMart and bought a 2" topper. If you use fitted sheets you probably could get a topper too thick to get the sheets on. I think I paid about $80 for ours. Works good.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
Tbos

I have 2 2" toppers on ours. I now sleep better on it than Info the one in the house.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
bfisher003

A couple of years ago we bought a new trailer and used the new mattress for about two trips before putting a 4" topper on it. That only helped for awhile. In the middle of an extensive trip out West later that year we stopped at a CW and bought and installed a new good mattress on the spot and put our topper on it. It was very comfy. The next spring we traded that trailer in in a bigger one and had the dealer swap the mattress and topper into the new trailer, putting the brand new OEM mattress into the trades in trailer. We sleep great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Our trailer had a "good" mattress in it when we bought it. It was a "upgraded" camper mattress. It slept "OK" but DW and I both have problems if we don't have a good mattress.

Bought a topper thinking that would be the answer - it helped but didn't provide the results we were wanting. Ended up buying a new home style queen (ours is 60x80") and it has been great. If you go that route I will warn you that the one that felt perfect in the store turned out to be too hard in the RV due to the platform or ? We exchanged it for the next plusher style and are very happy now.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Nuke

We are with bfisher003. We tried the topper; it worked for a while. We got "disgusted" with the setup and while on a trip, replaced the mattress with a good one. Didn't want to throw the topper away, so we added it to make it even better (kinda like a double pillow top).

It is pretty aggravating to buy a new rig and get such a cheap mattress. I'm sure they do it for weight advertisement and price. The mattress on our Rockwood MiniLight was SUPERB compared to our 30ripr. Wish we had swapped when we upgraded trailers...

Camper now sleeps as good as (better knowing we're camping!) our house.

Live and learn!
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
Mandolin

We bought a 3" foam topper for our "mattress" (which is about as hard as a boxspring) and it is comfy but can be hot. In hotter weather, I just bring along an extra sheet and sleep on top of all the covers.

At some point I might spring for a good quality latex mattress like the one at home but that one was expensive
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #13
bobbecky

Our rig came with a poor excuse for a mattress, so added a quality topper that worked reasonably well for several years (we fulltime). A little over a year ago we finally were near a small custom mattress manufacturer who made us a latex foam mattress, RV king with the radius corners the same thickness and size as the original, and made it so it could be flipped also. We sleep great now, and should have done this a couple years earlier.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
CrazyCain

I also use 2 2" toppers from the Walmart on the queen in our Hideout! Work's great, nice and comfortable.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #15
Tonym

Mattress

We tried everything that we read on the forum. We purchased foam toppers an upgraded RV mattress before going to a custom mattress shop and had a mattress custom made. For the little bit of extra money, it is well worth having the inner springs and harder side walls. We were lucky that it was not too thick because we have an egress window at the head of the bed and it will not obstruct the exit if needed.
Well worth the extra money for a great night sleep.
Tonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
NorskeBob

We put 3' memory foam on ours - big improvement.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
Desert185

An important key to making a topper work for you is to use it with a mattress pad on top of it. Much more comfortable.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
Melbornj

We slept okay on out mattress. Then one day I walked into a random camping world and they had some toppers on clearance so I bought one. Best money I have spent! I spent years in the Navy and can sleep anywhere any time on anyhting. The wife on the other had is much more rested and a happier person in the morning!
Melbornj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #19
Cheryl

We were able to find the short queen topper on Amazon Canada and find it quite comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #20
dblanch57

We are on our third trailer and we have tried adding toppers and I even once bought a cheap air mattress to sleep on. I figure that we sleep 1/3 of the time we are camping and if I can't sleep I am not very much fun. We bought a sleep number for the camper (full size queen). First time out, I slept all night like a baby.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress