Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
jamesmc321

Outside Access

ok, so I have hunted around for a while and cannot find any posts where someone has added an outside door (access door) to their camper..

I have a Summerland with the U shaped dinette in the slide and we never use the back bench storage because it is a PITA to get too... thinking it would make a perfect storage compartment for access outside.

Any thoughts / ideas?

thanks!
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

As long as there isn't any wiring, I don't see any problem. Unfortunately your not going to find any wiring diagrams showing how any wires are routed.

If there is a 110V outlet in the dinette, then you need to see if the power is brought up from the front or rear. Other than that measure 3 times before you cut.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:15 AM   #3
jamesmc321

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As long as there isn't any wiring, I don't see any problem. Unfortunately your not going to find any wiring diagrams showing how any wires are routed.

If there is a 110V outlet in the dinette, then you need to see if the power is brought up from the front or rear. Other than that measure 3 times before you cut.
luckily no 110, just the lights

thanks!
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would disconnect the battery before cutting. If you do hit any wiring, rerouting isn't that difficult.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
TallEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmc321 View Post
ok, so I have hunted around for a while and cannot find any posts where someone has added an outside door (access door) to their camper..

I have a Summerland with the U shaped dinette in the slide and we never use the back bench storage because it is a PITA to get too... thinking it would make a perfect storage compartment for access outside.

Any thoughts / ideas?

thanks!
I have a Laredo 303TG with the U dinette and had the same thought. If there was outside access the storage would be so much more useful. I am not brave enough to take a saw to my trailer though.
TallEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
Ram189

My Dad did this on an older Prowler we had.

He got crowded in a construction zone in the rain at night and ended up hitting one of the old flashing sawbuck type barricades with corner of trailer. It flipped up and stuffed a leg right into the side of the trailer.
We pulled it out and taped the hole shut. Got home and decided it would be a great spot for an access door since it was under the dinette seat.

A lot of careful work and plenty of patience and it looked factory when all was said and done.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
UsTwo

On a previous camper I had I was wanting a window in the front kitchen. I had asked our RV dealer if that was possible.. His answer... Oh yea, you can get a template for a window or a storage door for just about anything... Never did put that window in..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote