Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
brittsnbirds

Driveway Living!!

My wife and I decided to freshen up our house this fall. She told me to either freshen it up or we were moving into town. I don't know about the rest of you but living in the country with trees all around and great neighbors on acreage is awesome. Plus I don't have to pay storage fees for the Sprinter (269FWRLS) 5th wheel.

Well we bit the bullet and had the oak hardwood floors resurfaced as well as adding hardwood to the master bedroom. The master bath got an over hall as well as reconfigure the kitchen tops and cabinets. The project has run us a little longer than we thought but thanks for the Sprinter, I just plugged it in and we have a kozey 2nd home.

It amazes me time and again about how comfortable this thing is. We didn't get to use it as much this summer as we liked but are making up for it now. I think this is what we needed to build up our confidence to take some extended trips next summer.

I guess the reason for this post once I get this far into it is a BIG THANK YOU to Keystone for building this wonderful model (269FWRLS). My wife picked it out 3 years before we bought it and haven't been disappointed. Once the project is done we will move back into the big house. My wife made a comment that warmed my heart tonight. She said she would miss her little house. I told her anytime she needed an escape I'll fire up the furnace.

Thanks for listening.
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That's great to hear
it's nice to know your second home is just as far away as the yard, and even though ours didn't make it out of the backyard for 12 months it didn't mean it didn't get used. Looking at a different set of walls for a couple of days can have a real positive affect on ones psyche. Enjoy your newly renovated house, sounds wonderful.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
nellie1289

Similar story to this. I have a ton of family coming for the holidays and we will be popping the 336bhs into the driveway and suddenly we have a second wing to our house. I put a 50 amp plug in at the house so all around a great tool to have in your arsenal !
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:10 AM   #4
Pull Toy

Our 5er sits in the back yard between trips too.
it make it the perfect Guest House for weekend visitors.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
SkiSmuggs

We have driveway camped ourselves. DW says she would rather give up our S&B bedroom for house guests than to let them stay in HER treehouse!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I can relate to these posts. The RV is a great get away and for some reason I really like just getting in it and hanging out. We keep ours stored when not in use but for these holidays it's beside our house on our property next door. The kids won't be in until tonite and my wife is out of town with her mom in the hospital. I hooked it up and fired it up yesterday and me and pup spent the night in it vs the S&B. Slept like a rock! I'm looking forward to the next 3 or 4 days in it!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
PerryB

We lived in ours for 5 weeks when we went to Alaska. I would have been perfectly happy staying gone all summer. I was actually a bit sad to return home. Also lived in it (in the driveway) while we re-floored the house. Every couple months we take it out to the ranch (about 25 mi) and camp out for the weekend. I love having it.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #8
mikell

We have a farm about 20 miles away and we're out there nearly every weekend unless something major is going on.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:30 AM   #9
byrdr1

Great story.. I love living in the country and my wife wants us to remodel our house too.
Hardwoods would have to be installed through out the house and update the master bath and the kitchen(floors and new cabinets both areas)
So this would be our same thing.
Our camper is parked right beside the house under the RVport and has everything including the sewer hook ups.
So glad to hear this is working for you guys.
This would be a spring 2016 or 2017 project.
We have got to get that last child out of college first.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Whitewolf

We don't have AC in our house, so on those real warm evenings we sleep in the driveway where there is AC.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
omextreme

We had been thinking about a camper on and off for a few years, 2 years ago we had a house fire and were displaced for 8 months. I only wish we would have thought about buying a camper then. It would have made such a world of difference to have our "Own" place for that time. Heck had we had the 5th wheel we own now we might not have bothered rebuilding at all!

I cannot wait for the day we move to house not in a neighborhood that prohibits us from keeping our camper on our property. I would probably camp in it more then the house.
omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
CarbonFun

We recently spent 9 months in our Carbon 327 5th wheel while we built our new home. We were fortunate to be able to stay on our property (2.5 acers) during the build. So glad to be able to be a part of our build every day.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #13
theeyres

Re using the RV as a guest house: when we had company (at our former house where we could keep the trailer) WE went to the RV and let the guests use the house! We loved being able to get away and relax a little.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFun View Post
We recently spent 9 months in our Carbon 327 5th wheel while we built our new home. We were fortunate to be able to stay on our property (2.5 acers) during the build. So glad to be able to be a part of our build every day.

That looks rough. How did you manage?
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
CarbonFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
That looks rough. How did you manage?
Yea it was kinda tough...but I must say after nine months living in the trailer we were ready to get out. I'm sure it would be different if we were moving around place to place.

CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote