Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
C130

Exclamation RV industry in general

I've come to the conclusion that the RV industry is a one of a kind industry that somehow gets away with unbelievably crappy craftsmanship. I know of no other industry where they can get away with such crappy work and nothing is ever done about it and they keep selling units which is the whole reason they are able to continue business as usual.

When a buy pays over $70,000, sometimes upwards of $80,000-$90,000 for something and says "they all have the same issues and it's normal" something is seriously wrong. These 5th wheels or any of the other trailers are not complicated at all, it's corporate greed and lazy workers who don't give a crap about their job. I recently sold my Fuzion and I liked it but the previous owner got to work out the bugs in it the first year before I bought it. I've been researching most every top brand and yes, they are all the same; crappy and expected issues are normal. I'm having a hard time spending $70,000 plus for something I know most likely will have issues and then have to wait 2-3 months to have it fixed. Local dealers have terrible service department reputations and when I ask what I could expect as far as wait times I get unbelievable responses, 2-3 months to even get it in to their shop then parts ordering and repair time.

Another thing is a forum dedicated to a particular brand is way skewed in customer satisfaction in my opinion. Owners of any particular brand typically praise whatever they own and consider it "the best". I've been doing a lot of research on Grand Designs and may buy one but still undecided. The Grand Designs forum has very little activity or negativity and if one does say anything negative it seems to be frowned upon, kinda like most of the other forums dedicated to a particular brand. I can't imagine buying a $70,000 automobile and expecting to have issues and they would be considered normal and part of buying a new vehicle. Then, told I'd have to wait 2-3 months before I could get it in the shop, meanwhile I possibly could not even use the vehicle the entire time. It's time for the RV industry to be regulated. Almost forgot to discuss the whole "you didn't buy it here so we aren't going top look at it" fiasco.

So, is there anything that can or will be done about it? I know there are a lot of great dealers but there are way too many bad ones and if you happen to live by a bad dealer it's not a pleasant owners experience. I'm trying to figure out what to do, buy at the cheapest dealership available, or buy locally and pay $5,000-$10,000 more which isn't likely to happen.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
x96mnn

Search for Grand Designs in RV.net and you will find a few rants. Apparently due to the explosion in demand of their units their training of new employees is not up to their production output. Been a lot of complaints as of late!

I am not a fan of regulation, think if it happens lot of people will not be camping because the price and weight will go through the roof. Automotive industry is a clear example of that, paying a lot more for a car today even after inflation is removed. Also think 95% if not higher are satisfied with their product, why should that be changed for the 5% that is not?

You should check out black stone RVs! Custome frame, built really well, again price is higher and similar floor plans will be close to 2000pds more. You most likely have to deal with manufacturer as I have yet to see them on a lot. New Horrizons is another brand to check out.

I had a Keystone Sprinter, thought it was fantastic for the money. Had a black tank flush valve break and a staple through the waterline. Fixed under warranty and the dealer I bought it from.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
buckeyebobhockingcamper

rv industry

i worked for general motors for 30 years in a wheel bearing plant.its definately hard to see the lack of quality coming from indiana!i owned a 2014 montana high country 343rl and recently traded up to a 2015 310re.had 2 slideout floors replaced and some minor crap.now i have the 2015 and the main slideout floor is reeeeaaaaal bouncy,shower flooded bath first time out,i fixed that with silicone .the couch is screwed to floor with 2 little screws and an L mracket that pulled out first time we put 2 ,7 year olds in it(the front feet on couch dont meet floor(1/2 inch space) why there are no shelves in 30 inch high base cabinet i have no idea.love the king bed and larger shower ok im done except called today and got a september apptment,then they gotta call keystone and order parts,i leave for florida in late december.with the average rv er one year warranty is a joke e
specially with 6 months of winter
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

One solution, simply don't spend your money where you're not satisfied. If enough people do that, the public can (and will) force a change. But, keep in mind the preceding sentence started with a conjunction, "IF"..... we all know of many "if's" that coulda, shoulda, woulda.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Since I've started transporting, I've seen a lot more about this industry than I ever realized. The units are pushed out under fast production. There is a short window to get them on the lots and everyone is screaming for them. Once the season push is done they no longer want them because they'll sit on the lot through winter, and then the next model year is coming. The manufacturers put a lot on the dealers to fix small problems that may have been missed. There are some fantastic dealerships out there, but for the most part, I've been most impressed with Camping World. 2 years ago you wouldn't have gotten me to set foot in CW, I thought they were over hyped and over priced. The one thing I've seen with them, which surprised me as a large company in the industry, is great customer service. I did not buy my Alpine at CW, but they have never batted an eye or given me a hard time about getting warranty work competed. More in the industry could stand to learn from them. If/when I buy another RV, I'd have to get a heck of a deal and still think long and hard before I'd buy anywhere else.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You know, I guess you just have to get it straight in your head (for me).

RVs are like boats. They all have issues and things always seem to go wrong. Now I agree that the RV industry really needs to improve their quality control, but, on the other hand, when you are trying to build a little "boxed home on wheels" that can move over highways, terrible highways, mountain roads etc. and still keep the price in line with what the average person can pay..... what can you really expect? The RV that would meet my expectations for all of the quality and amenities that I would like would cost $500k...and then I would worry about it all the time and I would have to have a Mack truck to pull it.

As I've said in previous posts, the RV industry is what it is. Do you want an RV and experience what it has to offer or not? If so, then you have to deal with it because it isn't going to change....new owners are coming in by the droves and most are happy.

I bought my first new RV in many years in 2014. It was the best bumper pull made by Keystone. We were ecstatic and looking forward to lots of fun. Fast forward 18 months and here we are; the trailer has been in the shop as much or more than it's been in our possession. We've had lots of minor issues and some major - side skirts falling off, fenders falling off, coroplast torn off due to driving in rain...etc. Very upsetting and disappointing.

Here's the takeaway for me. I knew what to expect with an RV; and anyone buying one should know that too with due diligence. Although the dealer has had it more than I have, when I have it it provides so many experiences, and opportunities, that I would not have had otherwise that I just take it in stride.

I completely agree that what they turn out should have better quality; but after what I've said I'm not sure how they do that and meet price lines etc. What they are making are selling like hotcakes; we, as owners, need to understand the product and its limitations. When you invest? 70k in a trailer you have to know that 1) the construction is dubious, 2) you just poured your money down a hole, 3) it started depreciating the minute you signed and 4) the only thing you get from the RV is what you want to get from it; wonderful times; everlasting memories and fun that you can't get anywhere else, or: constant worrying about little issues; trying to fix stuff or ??

My mom died of emphysema drowning in her own liquid, my dad died from advanced Alzheimers not knowing any of his family. Both were terrible things. My son, 47, is dying from a heart condition. In the scheme of things, some minor issues with a "toy" don't hit my radar. If I don't have $70k to put into a toy and not worry about it....I need to buy stocks It is what it is. Understand it, assess what really matters, then go enjoy your investment? in your RV. Have fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I did not see the post about Camping World and feel I need to comment.

I bought our trailer at Camping World. It was in a transition because they had just bought it from a private party. The difference between the "owner" who was still running the show and the new GMs has been dramatic. The original owner really had the " this is my place and this is what we do....period" attitude and lasted about 3 months. Since then is has been nothing short of great. I had the pleasure of communicating with Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Good Sam and Camping World during some "miscommunications?) while purchasing. He is on the spot; responding to my email at 9pm; had the national VP of sales contact me the next day and they resolved my problems....right here...right now. I won't do business anywhere else.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #8
GrumpyG

I guess I was fortunate. My first RV buying experience was with Nexus RV in Elkhart. At the time they did Class B and C motorhomes. Nexus is strictly a Factory Direct manufacturer. No dealers to go through.

When I picked up my class C, there were some issues. I pointed them out and they fixed them. They worked on my camper for 3 days while I was at their factory. At night, they pulled the camper into their side lot with full hookups and I stayed there. Next morning they went back to work on it.

After I had it for a while I needed some more items worked on, some under warranty, some other things. I scheduled a trip to Elkhart and stayed there until they were done.

No such thing as dropping it off and picking it up months later.

I recently decided to downsize, sold my jeep toad, and bought a Keystone TT. I took my Class C back to Nexus and put it on consignment with them. If Nexus built travel trailers, I would go nowhere else. So far my Keystone has been great. My dealer has been great.

But there is nothing quite the same as a Factory Direct experience, especially if you don't mind returning to the factory. I am 500 miles from the Nexus factory and was glad to drive directly to the source.

As far as the consignment goes, I first contacted a local CW. That was a complete joke. CW does not do conventional consignment. They want you to agree on a price ahead of time. If they sell it, you get that price, no matter how much they sell it for. If you agree to $30K and they sell it for $50K, you get $30K. Legitimate consignment places will agree to a percentage of the final sale, or a fee plus a percentage of the final sale. And CW wants you to agree to a very low sale price.

CW is a ripoff. I don't care how many TV shows Marcus has. I would not buy a sewer hose from CW.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote