Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
RunnerDuck

What WDS Hitch To Buy

I just signed onto this forum as we are looking to buy a new Cougar 24SAWBE. We've been pulling a fifth wheel for many years and we want something smaller and easier to handle, hence the 24 Cougar Half-Ton.

First thing we'll need is a hitch. I've been surfing the thousand plus threads on this forum for quite some time trying to learn everything I can about the different hitch manufacturers. It seem like Equalizer is the most common one I've read about but I just read the latest Trailer Life magazine and they had several I was unaware of.

I thought the Camco "Eaz-Lift R6" was kind of interesting with the spring bars going on top. The Reese "Steadi-Flex" and Husky "Center Line HD" also read well.

The Cougar we are looking at weighs around 6,000 dry and 8,000 loaded. The hitch weight is around 650. We never travel with much water and always dump the black and gray tanks before we leave camp.

We'll be pulling it with our F250 V10 cab and a half with the long bed.

Any suggestions and recommendations as to good and bad experiences you've had would really be appreciated.
RunnerDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
TallEddie

I use the Reese dual cam with the round bars. Very happy, and no sway issues after setting it up properly. Dealer didn't get it right.

Was towing with an F150, and I was close to the weight limits, never had a sway issue at all.

Now I am towing with a F250, no sway.

In my opinion this the best reasonably priced hitch. I like the design because it doesn't rely on friction at all, and has been around for a while. It just works.

The Hensly and propride are probably the best, but you need some deep pockets.
TallEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
cblong

another one to look into is the andersen weight distribution hitch it uses chains, has built in sway control and they say you can easily back up with it still attached. the best part is all you need is a wrench to put it on with no heavy bars to lift. just an option but most all the hitches out there are good at what they do just pick one that fits your needs.

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
GaryWT

We have a 35 foot trailer with the same basic weights that you have. The tongue weight will increase from that 650 number. We have the equalizer 2 and love it, easy to use and it does a great job. Have been using it for 5 years.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
zuley

You made mention of the Husky Centreline hitch in your original post. That is the hitch that we use. Would I purchase another one? Ther jury is still out. The thing works great. There is no sway whatsoever but it is a real b**** to hook up and dsiconnect compared to my older style bar and chain WD hitch and it is considerably heavier. I'm sure this is a better hitch but... One thing that really frustrates me is that the truck and camper have to be in complete allignment with each other prior to disconnecting. Generally if we are backing into a site that I know the truck and TT will not be straight with each other I will disconnect the bars prior to backing in. This past trip I had to jack knife the camper into our site. After a couple of attempts proud as punch with myself I had it where my lovely wife wanted it only to find out I had forgotten to disconnect the bars prior. The air was a little on the blue side until I was able to get a few refreshments into myself.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
SLIMSHADIE

I have the reese dual cam, bought it from etrailer.com and setup myself. I went with the round bars because I don't have clearance issues and Ive read and heard trunion bars could wear out and pop off down the road. Ive had them 5 years and would buy them again. Also good reviews the Equalizer brand, seems to go hand and hand between these too.
Anderson seems to be 1 of the best but way to expensive for me....

Tongue weight can be upto 15% of the loaded trailer, so if even close to borderline on the bars, step up to the next size.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
audio1der

If you like to tinker, the Reese DCSC is a GREAT hitch setup. I love ours, but it does take some time to dial it in for your setup.
If you just want it to work, I have never read anything about the Equalizer system.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

We use the Equalizer and I really like it. You mentioned Camco and I would really look into that. My experience with their products tell me you get what you pay for; and from recollection I believe their products come from China (I could be wrong). Look long and hard. The Reese dual cam and the Equalizer seem to be pretty popular.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
GMcKenzie

I'm looking at the Blue Ox Sway Pro as being quiet and easy to hook up. But am not going far this year so have put it off to next year.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
buzzcop63

My unit when purchased came with a Pro Series V-5, Made in China, with round Spring Bars. Inexpensive, easy to attach and adjust, has given no problems and the truck and trailer tow as one. I am one of those slow pokes that run at 55 due to trailers China tires, consequently I have had tractor trailer rigs pass on both sides of me and no sway, have never experienced sway in the going on 4 years of towing my trailer.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #11
scott24

We bought a Husky Centerline TS. It's a great product and easy to use.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #12
barchak

I have a 1,400 pound tongue weight. Tried Eaz-lift with 1000 and 1400 bars. 1000 not enough and 1400 to hard to hookup (dangerous!). Tried Reese Dual Cam with 1400 bars and it damaged my trailer frame. It requires you to drill I into the frame in several locations. Actually came apart and bent frame on a long trip with 35mph cross winds. Installed Equalizer with 1000 bars in middle of trip. The 1000 was effective, but not rated for my tongue weight. I changed to the 1400 and it has been great. For Equalizer, you can't just change the bars, the head is specific to the weight and the 1400 head is larger. I am very happy with the current setup. The Equalizer is effective, easy to install, no drilling required, and easy to hookup. Also, Equalizer at the time was the only company with a 2.5 inch shank that fit my 2013 F-250. The Reese 2.5 inch shank does not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
I just signed onto this forum as we are looking to buy a new Cougar 24SAWBE. We've been pulling a fifth wheel for many years and we want something smaller and easier to handle, hence the 24 Cougar Half-Ton.

First thing we'll need is a hitch. I've been surfing the thousand plus threads on this forum for quite some time trying to learn everything I can about the different hitch manufacturers. It seem like Equalizer is the most common one I've read about but I just read the latest Trailer Life magazine and they had several I was unaware of.

I thought the Camco "Eaz-Lift R6" was kind of interesting with the spring bars going on top. The Reese "Steadi-Flex" and Husky "Center Line HD" also read well.

The Cougar we are looking at weighs around 6,000 dry and 8,000 loaded. The hitch weight is around 650. We never travel with much water and always dump the black and gray tanks before we leave camp.

We'll be pulling it with our F250 V10 cab and a half with the long bed.

Any suggestions and recommendations as to good and bad experiences you've had would really be appreciated.
If you are interested in a Reese system, I have one that is less then a year old, the entire kit is included,
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by barchak View Post
Also, Equalizer at the time was the only company with a 2.5 inch shank that fit my 2013 F-250. The Reese 2.5 inch shank does not work.
Wow- that's a lot of trial and error! May I ask what is different between the Reese and ES 2.5" shanks, just for the knowledge?
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
barchak

What WDS Hitch To Buy

As far as why it did not fit, the hole in the Reese shank did not line up vertically with the hitch holes in the receiver and the pin would not go in. As far as design, the Equalizer is two solid steel bars welded together and the Reese uses an I-beam forged construction. The Equalizer shank with the 14k head is a serious piece of metal.

Also, something to note if you have a 2.5 inch receiver and are using an insert to reduce to 2 inch the tow capacity of the receiver is also reduced significantly. Max tongue weight drops from 1850 to 1250 with the adapter. This is why I recommend using the 2.5 inch shank.

barchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
davemoore

I'm looking at the Reese Steadi-Flex, anyone have one of these? They look pretty cool and easy to install. https://www.amazon.com/Reese-66560-S...ds=steadi+flex
davemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
sconner

I have the Reese dual cam wd hitch. Works fantastic at wd as well as sway control. I've NEVER experienced sway. In my 2000 1500 Silverado or my new 16 Silverado 2500. Everything fits and lines up perfectly with the factory hitch. I tow a 32ft 2920BH TT.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #18
warsw

Blue Ox Sway Pro. Best WD hitch I have ever had. Works as advertised and you will not find a hitch as easy to set up.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #19
muddynoll

I have the Reese Strait Line dual cam and have used it for 5 years. Very easy to use. The cams eliminate sway and Keep the trailer in line with the tow vehicle when set up properly. I just bought a new camper and upgraded to a heavier Reese dual cam for it. I considered an Equalizer but couldn't find one in the weight class I needed. Both are excellent hitches and easy to use. I don't know about other brands because I have never used any of them or know anyone who does.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #20
theeyres

I think most of those that have been mentioned will work just fine. If you want an easier one that doesn't use the bars and all that, look at the Andersen. I'm not a spring chicken any more so decided to try it after having an Equal-i-zer. The Andersen works just as well and is much easier to put on and take off. Look at it closely...you will love it compared to all the heavy lifting and cinching of the others. With an electric tongue jack you hardly even have to use the wrench. It's a great hitch that doesn't get the recognition it should.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24sawbe, hitches, wds