Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
dwayneb236

Are Mods ever done?

I'm thinking I'm about done. My wife is happy with everything so far and I can't really think of anything else I need to do. So far I've done the following

*Changed the faucets in both indoor and outdoor kitchen. The plastic ones it came with were pretty much garbage.

*Added a locking door knob to bathroom. Not a big deal with just the wife and I but we have another couple that camp with us often and it will save any possible embarrassment.

*Added doors to the dinette seats to access the storage there easier. Really made it simple to put things in.

*Changed to LED lights. We don't boondock but I like the look and I was a bit disturbed by all the burn marks from the incandescent lights. They get hot.

*Added what I can only describe as a trough shelf that runs along the back side of the sink area as you walk in the trailer. Hard to describe but it's about 3 feet long, sticks out about 6 inches and is about 5 inches deep. We keep bug sprays, flashlights, doggie poop bags, pretty much a very convenient catchall.

*Added folding cup holders on either side of the love seat. There was no where to put beverages. These are very convenient and fold up out of the way.

*Added laundry access doors in the sides of our bed pedestal. Just lift up the bed, add a laundry bag to the hooks, and then you just life up the door and throw laundry in. One on each side.

*Added reading lights on either side of head of bed. Much easier to use than the centered lights right over head and not as disturbing to the better half when she's trying to sleep.

*Added under cabinet mount for toaster oven. It just slides in and out for travelling. It actually works great and does not get in the way of anything on the countertops.

*Added magnetic knife holder next to stove. Adds a touch of class.

*Added Oxygenics shower head. Great change.

*Put L shaped shelving in bathroom over toilet. Another great change in there. Really adds good storage.

*Added drawer to underside of dining table. My wife wanted it for cards and dominos and such.

*Added folding shelf in bathroom for extra counter space.

*Added shelving in the kitchen area cabinets. Put in a wire shelving and pullout drawer system under sink.

*Built spice rack into area over microwave.

All I can think of at the moment but it's pretty much the perfect trailer for us now.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
bobbecky

Had to laugh about this. Mods are never done, you are just in a slump. Given a little time, you will come to your senses and discover several more necessary mods, maybe like tile on the wall behind the cooktop, or towel bars in the bath.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
dwayneb236

Oh, I forgot one. Towel bar in bathroom.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
GaryWT

I guess I am lucky as some of your mods came with my trailer already. We did 3-4 mods when we bought the trailer 3 years ago. Something's like towel bar or paper towel holder are just needed, not really a mod unless you upgrade something that was there. Have not done anything since other than general maintenance things and have no plans for anything else. We love everything as is so again, guess we are lucky.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
koko

We have:
Put in large drawers in our booth area (best mod of all)
Put a shoe rack in place of one side of our under-bed storage
Opened up an empty cavity under our TV cabinet area big enough to hold
pots/pans/toaster (there are lots of voids in these trailers)
Put in various Command Hooks
Put puck lights in the cabinets
Replaced tongue jack with remote jack
Oxygenic shower head
Clear tinted entry door window (Edwin)
Springfield pedestal for table (newest mod and oh so important for us)
Bed lift kit for under-bed storage

Think we're finished - ha, ha!

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Bill & Deb

Remember when you run out of "Mods" for your trailer your spouse will make you do work around the house .

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
EricLynnAllison

My list is long, I'm always wanting to do more. My DW says it's time to stop until she sees something she'd like. So far:

Telescoping sewer drain
Electric cord reel
Water reel
battery cutoff
battery isolator
additional batteries
air compressor
air hose reel
garage air conditioner
paper towel holder
triglide 5th wheel hitch
garage cabinets
washer/dryer
lights in garage
High pressure propane auxilery connection
Steady fast arms.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Deb View Post
Remember when you run out of "Mods" for your trailer your spouse will make you do work around the house .

Bill
No, sorry, but that just isn't it. When you run out of mods you have to buy another RV and start all over!!!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
*Added folding cup holders on either side of the love seat. There was no where to put beverages. These are very convenient and fold up out of the way.
OK. I have to ask my stupid question for the night, which kind did you get? I've been pondering these all winter because that's my one pet peeve with our couch - no place to put my Pepsi. And I've found plastic ones and metal ones on Amazon, but can't find them in stores so I can't get my hands on one to flip open and closed. Are the plastic ones good, or metal ones enough better to justify getting them? And then I have to convince myself I can put holes in the walls because I get the feeling CommandStrips won't quite hold that...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:11 AM   #10
dwayneb236

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Maybe this link will work. They've worked great. Handle a variety of cup and bottle sizes and fold away. We are happy with them.

They come with double sided tape and 4 screws. I used the tape and 2 screws in each. They are extremely solid and the seem to be constructed ok. Feels like they can handle a good bit of weight.

Left side holder

And the ride side holder folded up. You can just see it at the top right.

And why are my pictures always massive. I always think I'm making them smaller and they turn out large...grrrrr.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #11
GaryWT

I get the idea of the cup holders but do people really spend that much time inside the trailer? Maybe people do, this weekend as we sat at the fire, we looked around and there were only 2-3 others with fires and no one else was around. Was everyone sitting inside on the couch? We have cup holders on our outdoor chairs which are under the awning or at the campfire. We go in the trailer at night to go to bed, that is about it. Just wondering.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #12
dwayneb236

That's why I love living in America. I can do what I want as long as no one else is hurt. Yeah, we do spend time in our trailer. We are about to take it for a week to Oklahoma City for the College Softball World Series. We spend a lot of times at the games. We also spend time seeing the sites, We spend time Kayaking. And after that's done, We like to relax in our trailer where it's cool and/or dry.
We also take it to lakes and parks where we fish, hike, kayak again, spend time around the fire, and you guessed it, spend time inside.
Works for us. I'll never condemn anyone for doing something different from what I do. Heck, I won't even bring it up. What's the point?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
vampress_me

Thank you dwayneb236. I appreciate the link and the pictures. Now, to order one and attach to the wall... But, that has to be better than cleaning up a sticky mess if my pop gets tipped over!

And a slightly different reason for why we sometimes spend time in our camper as well as outside around the fire and playing around. Our son has had 4 open heart surgeries. He can't handle very hot temps or cold, it's just the way his body is. So, we work around it and still have fun!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I get the idea of the cup holders but do people really spend that much time inside the trailer? Maybe people do, this weekend as we sat at the fire, we looked around and there were only 2-3 others with fires and no one else was around. Was everyone sitting inside on the couch? We have cup holders on our outdoor chairs which are under the awning or at the campfire. We go in the trailer at night to go to bed, that is about it. Just wondering.
There are certain times throughout the year that those of us "out west" (TX, NM, AZ, CA, NV, etc) don't have the option to "sit outside by the fire" [or even use a charcoal grill] due to high wind warnings, drought conditions & FIRE BANS! Sometimes we simply have to "go with the flow"... enjoy being outside for awhile & then retreat inside the RV to relax and enjoy our time away from the stick/brick house. Yup, cup holders are handy inside the RV too!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
dwayneb236

Ahhhh. Fire bans.. hate em, understand em but still hate em... The last few times we've camped they've been in affect. Nothing like sitting around a nice campfire, pretty fun if I remember correctly.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
GaryWT

Not saying cup holders are not good. I guess I was just thinking that here in New England we have been stuck inside with record snowfall for month and our first chance to camp and most stayed in their campers. Go figure.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:59 AM   #17
captbozy

Fire wood ban in Georgia

I love the cup holder install. I just bought my second bumper pull and still missed things. Ps. We have a "imported firewood "ban in state parks due to beetles. Firewood is expensive when Kiln dried.
captbozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #18
audio1der

For anyone with standard rod/curtain instead of glass doors, the extenda-shower is one of our most valued mods.
I like the ease and cleanliness of the 6" square PVC stinky snake holder underneath the RV; it often starts a conversation at the dumpsite with the camper next in line.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-finish/44143
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
robo

Nope mods are never done look at my mods in my sig line
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:48 AM   #20
lspajm

Can you all post some photos of your mods and how you secured some of them like the towel racks? The walls in our passport 3220bh are pretty flimsy. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote