Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #1
hdrolling

Insurance time!

Who's the latest and greatest company to get insurance through for my camper in 2015? I've been researching the internet and read good and bad about all the company's, but the rates hikes is what I'm worried about. I have a clean record and we are not full timers, just some weekends and the summer as my wife is a school counselor and has the summers off. My Dad has used Good Sam (GMAC) with his RV and had no issues but he hasn't RV'ed in a few years so looking for updates.
Thanks

Also I am a good Sam member and have the roadside assistance with them.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Sam (underwritten by various companies depending on the state of residence) and Progressive seem to have the most competitive pricing. There are some other's, but those two appear to be the largest insurers of RV's.

We had Good Sam (back when it was called Foremost RV Insurance) That's probably what your Dad had, and we never had issues. Currently, we have Progressive and our experience when the tree fell on our fifth wheel was excellent. Within 24 hours we had confirmation that the claim would be paid and within 72 hours we had all the figures, total cost, and a plan to repair with an appointment with the repair facility.

There are other companies as well, but I'm not familiar with them. Also, use caution when dealing with automobile insurers. Many of them will write a policy on an RV, but do not include "RV specific" coverage. In other words, limited contents coverage, no towing (even though it says it's included) or limited towing to "one vehicle only" which means your RV sits on the side of the road while they tow your truck.... There are other limitations, so ask questions, compare apples to apples and make sure you understand what is and more importantly, what isn't covered.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

When we bought our new 14 trailer last year I did a lot of research and calling trying to find out what might be the best insurance for the trailer. I went with Geico. They have a RV specific group that deals with them. Their coverages are pretty much equal to Good Sam and cheaper. If your RV is totaled Good Sam gives you a current year new replacement for the first 5 years, Geico is 7. With Good Sam you get a discount for not using the RV but it is specific and limits your use in my opinion. With Geico you tell them how much you're going to use it and they figure the premium, not when you're going to use it...or park it. I also have several vehicles with them plus my umbrella policy so that probably had a bearing on our rate.....it is very reasonable. They have vehicle recovery but I carry Good Sam Travel Assist and 3 other roadside policies so figure I should be able to take care of issues. I've never used any of them and hope if I'm diligent I never have to.....they are just for peace of mind.

The details above are from memory but I believe they are accurate.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
notanlines

We have had Geico for all of 40 years. Rates are fair, coverage is good. We had a double blowout on our trip to Florida resulting in a $8800 claim. They paid all but the deductible within a couple days. For what it is worth, Camping World in Fort Myers did the repairs on our Raptor and it truly does look like new.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
GmaPaTime

Second that on the Geico insurance. Their RV group is managed in Virginia Beach, VA and they have been very straight forward with what they will and will not do. Since we have all our vehicles with road side assist, home and umbrella coverage's through them, we did in fact receive some good discounts. All told, with damage, theft, roadside assist, towing and replacement coverage, we pay $140 year.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
hdrolling

I've been getting some decent quotes through the companies everyone has been listing, now trying to decide on the $250 or $500 deductible?

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

It all depends on what you want to pay monthly or what kind of bucks you're comfortable paying in the event of an accident. If you have one claim in 20 years you are far, far ahead paying for a larger deductible. When I was a married kid (thinking pre-20s) I thought the only way to go was the lowest deductible thinking it was good because I didn't have the money for a large outlay of cash. In retrospect, I could have saved a ton of money on the premiums if I had just gone with a larger deductible. Now I carry a 500-1000 deductible on everything.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
GaryWT

When we were seasonal and were not moving the trailer we had Foremost. When we tow, I just call my agent and she deals with the companies and the bank. I had Travelers for the truck and trailer but she just moved us to Safety.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote