Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #21
austex

Volcano II

Charcoal, wood or gas, all in one...

http://www.volcanogrills.com/collaps...ovegrills/1279
austex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright View Post
I cooked hamburgers on my new Q grill the other day and had to turn it on low to keep from burning them. I know it will cook a steak just fine but a little worried about using it to cook a roast or pulled pork as it doesn't want to go below about 350 degrees even on the lowest setting. I was hoping to use a wood smoke box and cook at 275 deg. but that may not be possible. Still a very well made grill. I just can't bring myself to pay $650.00 for a mini green egg.
The Q, like other options, does have it's limitations. For low temp cooking I use an electric, insulated smoker with a thermostat. I smoke ribs, etc. at 225F. It's a six hour process, but the results are incredible. Game hens and turkey (both stuffed) also cook well in the smoker.

I do burgers on the Q at high heat, 4 min on one side and 3 on the other for medium. Seems to work OK for us. When cooking chicken we turn the heat to the min setting and turn often. I tend to not do roasts on the Q. Burgers, brats, hot dogs, chicken, plank fish all work well. If you want to do roasts or pulled pork you might want to try doing them in a dutch oven on the Q or in a crock pot after searing them on the Q or other grill.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #23
Way Of Life

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhop View Post
I use the Weber Q series grill with the optional cart....
Love it!
Can't agree more. The Weber Q is the best.....
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks all for all the information.

The Weber Q 200 appears to be a much loved grill. I was worried about the btus and couldn't find one. I finally did, stuck in a display behind a displayed camper inside Camping World. The other Weber Qs I had seen had a single tube down the middle which worried me - it is the same as the one I have and want to replace. The Weber 200, which I thought was discontinued, has a double row burner which looks much, much better for cooking. So.....I had them sell me that one plus the Coleman Roadtrip LXE with the 20k btu burner. I'll see which one I like best and take it with me and leave the other one here for "future" reference.

Again, thanks for all the guidance. As one poster said there are zillions of these grills out there and it's nice to get to a short list quickly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #25
Campy

Started out with a Weber Q100 and now have moved up to the Q200 series. These are by far the best gas camping grills out there. We also have the cast iron griddle for it and it cooks bacon and eggs awesome. I also got the conversion to either use mine on 2lb. bottles or hook to the camper LP port.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #26
michael_h

I've had my Coleman 2 burner grill stove combination for 5 years now, I just stick it on the end of the picnic table and cook away. (I've only had to replace the regulator $20) The only thing I'd like to have outside my camper is a small refrig for drinks, the portable grill minimizes cleaning splattered grease from bacon or burgers.

http://www.coleman.com/product/2-bur...0#.VPkbXcI5BZg
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #27
Bbfd

Same here with the Q200. We often camp with another family so it gives enough surface to cook on. I am somewhat of a die hard charcoal guy but carrying around a Smoky Joe and all the supplies got old when I wanted to fire up the grill for a quick dinner. I just need to now do the LP conversion to my quick connect.
2014 Polaris Sportsman 550 Touring
Bbfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #28
Mr keystone

Don't regret not having an outside kitchen. They are great but unless you are hooked up to a full sevice site they have limitations. I do love the storage space I have seen in some.
We use a 5' table for "stuff" A 3' table (19.00 staples)to set a Costco Nexgrill bbq(125.00) removed regulater and installed quick connect to trailer propane, a coleman propane oven 149.00 paid 39.00 on sale canadian tire. A Coleman gas stove(had for 40yrs)
The bbq works great and cooks hot no problem charring those steaks. I also bought a grill top (20.00) for it so we can cook just about anything on It. We are currently boondocking on a permanent site and have yet to cook inside.
Take your time buying accesories of any kind and don't buy on impulse. Do A little research on what you want and wait till its on sale, everything eventually does.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #29
michael_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright View Post
I cooked hamburgers on my new Q grill the other day and had to turn it on low to keep from burning them. I know it will cook a steak just fine but a little worried about using it to cook a roast or pulled pork as it doesn't want to go below about 350 degrees even on the lowest setting. I was hoping to use a wood smoke box and cook at 275 deg. but that may not be possible. Still a very well made grill. I just can't bring myself to pay $650.00 for a mini green egg.

do your pork BBQ in a crock pot . . . you won't be sorry
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #30
Desert185

My bro-in-law recently bought an NXT or NXR stainless grill from Costco. We did some burgers and the inside was on fire with the lid closed. We didn't even try chicken the next day. Took it back to Costco and bought a Weber Q2200 on the way home. Now you're talking. He finally broke the code on what I had been saying. Education can be a difficult process...
Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #31
RockinEZ

Thermometer for Weber Baby Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwheel_09 View Post
Weber Baby Q with a folding cart[emoji3].
I also love my Weber Baby Q with the folding cart. It does not come with a grill thermometer. I bought a replacement grill thermometer from Home Depot, drilled a hole in the cover in the same spot the more expensive Q models have the thermometer and in 5 minutes I had a Baby Q with a grill thermometer. Great for knowing when it is up to temp, or when it is getting too hot. I have been using the Baby Q for about 7 years. Still looks and works perfectly. I use it with the hose accessory to a 5 gal tank. The Baby Q on high uses 8500 BTU/hr. A gallon of propane produces about 92,000 BTU/hr. A tank lasts a long time.
RockinEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #32
Cubscory

I just switched mine out to a Weber Q 2200, with the bumper mount. I modified it, so that it can be used at home as well (using Quick connects).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	8133  
Cubscory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #33
greengiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubscory View Post
I just switched mine out to a Weber Q 2200, with the bumper mount. I modified it, so that it can be used at home as well (using Quick connects).
Older thread, sorry, but I'm hunting down gas grill info via search function.
I have a 6-7 year old, Celano, stainless grill that came with my old R-vision TT in 2008. After a week of searching the web, I can't find out if the company even exists or how to get parts. I just need the heat shield/flavor bar/grease pan at the moment. Even if I replace that part, I'm not sure how much longer I can get out of this grill, so hence the potential upgrade.

Cubscory, it looks like you went with the bumper mount kit to attach to the weber via 'billsbumperq'. I'm having trouble finding it on their site, and on another forum someone mentioned its around $280, is that somewhat accurate? Does anyone else have a weber mounted to the bumper?

Webers seem to be very highly ranked around here, and my brother in law has had a Q200 for years and it has always performed well. Debating whether I'm going to spend the money this year or get by using my 10 year old weber 'go anywhere' (I think the go anywhere is in a much lower class than the q series) that sits in the shed most of the time.
Thanks
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #34
crash

Just changed over and ordered a coleman roadtrip lxe,just came in the mail,SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE if I would have known this thing weights as much as a VW BUG I would have ordered a smaller one ,Just my 2 cents.Oh well gonna make the best of it anyway.Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	8729
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

The Roadtrip weighs as much as a VW bus?? I think mine weighs 50lbs (probably less) in the carrying case and a bottle of propane. I just break it down, put it in the case, roll it to the back of the truck, sit wheels on tailgate and roll into place in the bed............ Pretty painless and you can't beat the built in stand, 20k burners or the available carrying case IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #36
Cubscory

Greengiant-

Here is the link.

http://billsbumperq.com/store/#!/Tra...376/category=0
Cubscory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #37
Whitewolf

At home I use a Weber charcoal grill. Camping I use and have always really liked a Q200. Since I use a charcoal at home, I've decided to use a charcoal camping, so I ordered a Jumbo Smokey Joe.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #38
hankaye

Howdy All;

Think I posted some time back in another thread about this
that I went and modified a 32qt. stock pot to fit on my Smoky Joe
Silver so that I can smoke some critter meat. I got the idea here;
http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?74...i-WSM-Project&
So far I've done several Pork Shoulder roasts (blade in), the largest
was just a tad under 10 lbs. Great for the covered dish events
that happen here. I can also place a 6 qt. Dutch oven in it to bake
something.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #39
Desert185

Hank:

That's an interesting site. I'm a Weber fan and had never seen that. I like the idea of using a dutch oven with it.

We smoke all year and found it more difficult during the NV winters to control the temp reliably, so we bought a Cookshack electric smoker with a thermostat. Since it is insulated, it maintains the correct temperature during the entire smoking period (six hours at 225dF for three racks of baby backs, in our case. Just short of falling off the bone).

Sadly, with the exception of the price, the newer versions of Cookshack have gone cheap. We have a friend with a Cookshack clone called Smokin' Tex that is of good quality and is less expensive. Sportsman Warehouse carries them.

I've thought of taking the smoker with us, but I wonder if smoking for any length of time would bother folks in a typically crowded park. What has been your experience on that? Probably wouldn't be a problem at some of the remote NV desert sites we hit with friends, but those more urban "city-fied", high-density parks might be an issue.

Just trying to get along, and not always successful. You never know who isn't going to like what you're doing. Sometimes, trailering reminds me of apartment living when I was much younger. The occasional list of park can't do's is a bit onerous.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #40
hankaye

Desert185, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Hank:

That's an interesting site. I'm a Weber fan and had never seen that. I like the idea of using a dutch oven with it.

We smoke all year and found it more difficult during the NV winters to control the temp reliably, so we bought a Cookshack electric smoker with a thermostat. Since it is insulated, it maintains the correct temperature during the entire smoking period (six hours at 225dF for three racks of baby backs, in our case. Just short of falling off the bone).

Sadly, with the exception of the price, the newer versions of Cookshack have gone cheap. We have a friend with a Cookshack clone called Smokin' Tex that is of good quality and is less expensive. Sportsman Warehouse carries them.

I've thought of taking the smoker with us, but I wonder if smoking for any length of time would bother folks in a typically crowded park. What has been your experience on that? Probably wouldn't be a problem at some of the remote NV desert sites we hit with friends, but those more urban "city-fied", high-density parks might be an issue.

Just trying to get along, and not always successful. You never know who isn't going to like what you're doing. Sometimes, trailering reminds me of apartment living when I was much younger. The occasional list of park can't do's is a bit onerous.

I don't use it as often as I might want to due to smoke issues, but when
it comes to doing one for the covered dish affairs no one seems to mind.
I do it up the day before and it sort of gets everyone's appetites whetted.
I do enjoy a sizable fan-club . Speaking of fans, might be able to use one
to send the offensive (?), odors in a non offending direction.

I also purchased some of the Craycorte cast iron grill inserts (beautiful
grill marks and I think helps the flavor), to help as a heat-sink.
Everything except the SJ will fit inside the stock pot for travel. I just find
that the bottom edge gets a tad grimy so you'll need to have something
to set it on or cover it with. As a full-timer and a long term-er I just leave
mine sitting at the foot of the picnic table.

hankaye

PS. OR ... you can buy one of these;
http://www.weber.com/grills/series/s...moker-14/specs

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote