Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
j.Cubed

Pulling the trigger, any opinions????

So first time TT purchase and we've literally been looking for about 2-3 years. We've seen them all, the extremes and the simples. It is possible we'll never make a decision cause we certainly are over thinking it. Here is our most recent fascination.

http://curtistrailers.com/inventory/...g/detail/6923/

It's a Springdale 257RLLSWE. Any opinions? Pass??? Buy it???

Anything we should be worried about or ask?

Quick backstory, it's for me and the wife and our 2 year old. Probably going to have 1 more kid. Really love bunkhouses but the cost and size scares me. Pulling with a 2012 Tundra 5.7 4x4 RockWarrior.

I appreciate any and all feedback!!!!
j.Cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
bsmith0404

If you have been shopping for a couple years and have looked at many different trailers and this is the one you like then I'm sure you will be happy with it. There are so many factors that go into what is the right trailer. The only thing I would be careful with on this particular trailer is the aluminum sides. I've been in too many locations that get a lot of hail damage so I will only by fiberglass. I've never lived in Oregon and don't know the weather, so if that isn't a concern where you are, then you should be fine.

If you read enough posts on this forum, you will see that RVs have problems. Some more than others, but the problems do not seem to be model or brand specific. People with an entry level trailer may never have a single problem and the next person with a $100k luxury unit may have nothing but problems or visa versa. If you like this RV, it fits your needs, is in your price range, and TV range, then buy it and enjoy.

As for the bunkhouses, they are nice for kids. Personally, I have looked at them, but will never own one. For one reason, my kids are getting older and won't be camping with us much longer. The main reason is that, IMO, the bunks take away too much from the living space of the trailer. I can put an air mattress on the floor or pull the sleep sofa out for when we are sleeping, don't need the sofa/floor at that time anyway. When we are awake and using the camper, especially on a rainy day, I want the space. Of course with small kids, you can throw some toys on the floor in the bunk area or pop a kids movie into the TV giving them their own room freeing up the rest of the trailer for you.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
j.Cubed

Thanks for the input! We just hadn't considered the Springdale lineup even.

Seems to be a good model. Sounds like we're going tomorrow to sign the paperwork and get it rolling unless someone freaks us out.
j.Cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
theeyres

I really liked the Springdale we owned. Sold it when we went full-time and then looked again for a used one with a floorplan we liked but couldn't find one. I think they are a very good trailer for the price.

Just make sure you double check your weights before you pull the trigger. Tongue weight and total weight are critical. I suspect you are pushing it weight wise--but I don't know the numbers.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
howshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.Cubed View Post
So first time TT purchase and we've literally been looking for about 2-3 years. We've seen them all, the extremes and the simples. It is possible we'll never make a decision cause we certainly are over thinking it. Here is our most recent fascination.

Quick backstory, it's for me and the wife and our 2 year old. Probably going to have 1 more kid. Really love bunkhouses but the cost and size scares me. Pulling with a 2012 Tundra 5.7 4x4 RockWarrior.

I just picked up our brand new TT from Curtis they are great people there i would recommend & definitely buy from them again....

2015 Keystone Springdale, 282BHSSRWE
howshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
howshow

Quote:

Oh & FYI i pull our springdale 282 no problem with my tundra, up and down the BC mountains.... its a bunk house 28' long the tundra having a great pulling cap'

2015 Keystone Springdale, 282BHSSRWE
howshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
x96mnn

With the kids you may regret not going with a bunkhouse model. You should be able to find one for little price differance. We have a sprinter 266 and this is our first camping season with a child and we wish we had bunks. With that said I grew up in a tent and hard top so our little one can learn to rough it without her own bed. The pain is the up and down of the table, if the one you are looking at has the jack knife couch instead of the pull out bed, it is much better IMHO.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

On checking the link you posted, the price is listed at $26,166. The same RV is listed in another Curtis website at $19,047. Use some discretion when bargaining for any RV. There is a significant "markup" in MSRP over what most final sales prices. The link to the site I found: http://m.curtistrailers.com/inventor...asp?id=1074541

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
JoePK

Springdale

Hello, we had the 266rls and loved it. Now own the Cougar 28rls, because the dw wanted a bigger bathroom. The quality of our Springdale was really good. Good catch JR on the sales price link. When we bought ours, the website price was almost $4k less than the price marked at the dealer. I think a lot of places do that type of pricing.
Have fun!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
suza

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. Bunks are the way to go with kids, especially if you still have one napping. Unless you choose go the route of a compact RV, there is no reason to not have a dedicated sleeping area for everyone. Your camping opportunities will extend beyond the brief, rainless season in the Pacific Northwest and you will get more enjoyment for your investment.

Also, and I know it's not a deal breaker (sounds like you have made your decision): Our first RV was an inherited 1992 21' Nash with aluminum siding. When we retired, and decided we wanted to do some traveling, the Nash had to go. Mostly because it did not have a slide, making it very crowded with just two people, and the bed was impossible to sleep in comfortably. In addition, our wet Winters (Spring and sometimes Summer, too!) meant we were always fighting green stuff on the aluminum siding. The fiberglass is so much easier to clean.

Enjoy your new adventure. I wish we had camped more when our kids were little.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
LuvsPalmTrees

We had a bunkhouse for 13 years. We took our boys camping before they were a year old (in a popup) and then the bunkhouse. We loved it for the fact that they each had their own space to put their "stuff" and I did not have to make up beds everyday. We outgrew our bunkhouse and one stopped camping with us so we decided on a trailer that DH and I wanted. Enjoy camping with your family - they are only little for so long.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote