Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
kguess

Bike rack on rear camper bumper/ retro

I Know that people have complained about the welds breaking on the rear bumper when carrying bikes . I was wondering if anyone has gone to a welding shop to have a retro bumper adapted so that it would carry two bikes safely.
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguess View Post
I Know that people have complained about the welds breaking on the rear bumper when carrying bikes . I was wondering if anyone has gone to a welding shop to have a retro bumper adapted so that it would carry two bikes safely.
I went to a fab shop and had a "real" hitch made for the RV. It sits just below the factory (crappy sheet metal) bumper.

I don't use it for bikes. I use it for actually towing a utility trailer with toys on it. About 2000 pounds.

Cost was $225. I painted it myself. Wired it for flat-4 trailer wiring myself as well.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16627
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Quad

I did one very similar to SAD's bumper hitch. Has worked out great this far with three bikes on it. I made it with scraps I had from work and other projects I've made. All it cost me was a receiver tube from harbor fright.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH
Old 05-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
kguess

Sad

That is nice! He did a great job. I'm going to look into having it done on my keystone 19 so I can feel comfortable with bikes in rear.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
kguess

Did it...

A friend welded a piece of angle iron between the trailer frame and of course welded a receiver piece to the angle iron. If I knew how to post pictures I would... Ill give it a go . Should be fine towing bikes, rack and spare. What a relief , no need to put bikes in trailer, rack over propane tanks or in truck!!!!