Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
Quad

Reese Goosebox

I wanted to give a quick update for anyone searching for follow up info about the Reese Goosebox. There isn't a lot out there about it. This is the start of my second year with it. Very solid, no issues, love the air ride and the fact when I get to the camp ground my bed is empty after I unhook. Very easy to hook up and unhook. Have only around 4000-5000 miles on it. But have been very pleased.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH
Old 09-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
2011 keystone

This is the first follow up i have seen for the goose box. Glad to hear that you like it. We are thinking about trading for a 5r in the next year or so and I think i will have dealer add it before we pick it up. Thank you!
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Interesting. Looks like it would be more stable than the pin box extensions.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Interesting. Looks like it would be more stable than the pin box extensions.

Yep and lippert says that using the reese goose box will not void there warranty
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Quad

You know, I wanted to get something out there for people to see this product and to show my experience with an alternative product that work well. Not to convince people that they have to have it. I also thought it'd be easy to track my history with a goosebox.

I'm nearing the end of our camping season. Have about another 800-1000 miles on it since I last posted. I did have a pressure relief valve go bad and allowed the air bag seep air off over a few days. Called Reese (Btw they have the best customer service to deal with. Super nice and helpful) and within two days had me a new one. While installing it I also plumbed in a permanent pressure gauge so I don't have to get out an air gauge before I take off. Just walk up and check it.

But again, so far a really solid product. Before every trip I check the pin box area for broken welds or fatigue areas and it's checked good this far. I look forward to many more miles with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Quad

Reese Goosebox

Another thing to note is about chains. There is confusion. Reese states that you don't need chains because it meets CSA & SAE J2638 test standards and its for RV use and therefor chains are not required. But many state laws says ball type couplings need chains. I don't know how'd that play out in the end. But I do however have coiled type cables I bought from amazon for mine. But it was more of a comfort factor for me then anything.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad View Post
Another thing to note is about chains. There is confusion. Reese states that you don't need chains because it meets CSA & SAE J2638 test standards and its for RV use and therefor chains are not required. But many state laws says ball type couplings need chains. I don't know how'd that play out in the end. But I do however have coiled type cables I bought from amazon for mine. But it was more of a comfort factor for me then anything.

I noticed your cables and thought that they looked like they would perform much better (quieter) than chains. Like you, Reese may state that safety chains are not required, but trying to argue with a trooper on the side of the road or worse yet, argue with a judge in a "little town courthouse" isn't worth the frustration it would cause. I like your coiled cables, and it sure prevents the arguments from even happening.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
2011 keystone

I spoke to my RV dealer today and asked them about the goose box they said they have not heard a bad review yet and that they are installing them more and more at the customers request. I was very happy to hear this. Now i no i will be going with this when we upgrade. "Maybe sooner than later"[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
Old 09-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I noticed your cables and thought that they looked like they would perform much better (quieter) than chains. Like you, Reese may state that safety chains are not required, but trying to argue with a trooper on the side of the road or worse yet, argue with a judge in a "little town courthouse" isn't worth the frustration it would cause. I like your coiled cables, and it sure prevents the arguments from even happening.

Yes that was the biggest factor for me. It gave me that comfort knowing if for some weird reason I was stopped and a trooper was to say anything about chains and me being technically a ball type coupler, I knew I'd be covered. The cables make it much cleaner then chains, and like you said less noise also.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 keystone View Post
I spoke to my RV dealer today and asked them about the goose box they said they have not heard a bad review yet and that they are installing them more and more at the customers request. I was very happy to hear this. Now i no i will be going with this when we upgrade. "Maybe sooner than later"[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Awesome, I'm sure you'll love it. The air ride is amazing while under way down the highway.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
Quad

These are the pictures of the gauge I installed when I replaced the defective relief valve.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
Zman81

Wanted this on my 2015 high country and they said lippert doesn't void warranty but the manufactures will/could void it. They told me if I wanted it on there to do it myself or find someone else, and that they wasn't going to put any of them on any of their units. Anyone else been told that it's up to manufacture??? I already bought the B&W slider but looked at this unit hard until I was told that.
Zman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
Desert185

The Goosebox seems to be a good option over the usual 5er hitch. Having towed with an Andersen Ultimate hitch, and being completely satisfied with it, I think it is worth a comparison to the Goosebox to at least consider price and weight compared to the normal hitches. Either one would be a better option than the typical hitch, especially with the cost of an add on MOR/ryde box in order to eliminate the chucking.

www.andersenhitches.com

FWIW...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
Quad

When I bought mine I had the dealer install it as I didn't want the "not professionally installed" saying thrown my way in case of and issue. At first they said no problem, just sign this paper releasing us of any liability as I was modifying the manufacturers hitch. I brought up the goosebox page on my phone and showed them where it's says approved for use on lippert frames and listed the pin boxes it was compatible with. They verified my pin box was the numbers listed and tore up the paper and we moved on lol. This has been my second year with it. And I'm still loving it. It's been great having it.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
jrwittman1

I installed a GooseBox on my 5ver and I think it was a much smoother ride than with a B&W companion hitch. Only downside is you can't use the mirror on the trailer anymore to hookup. Other than that it was well worth the money and the back order wait!
1 line to rear airbags and other to connect to GooseBox(quick connect)
jrwittman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:05 AM   #16
Quad

I've never had the B&W hitch, but I have to agree this thing is smooth. Not hard to hook up. Took a little bit of a learning curve. But when I figured it out for me and my truck I can normally hit it with 1 or 2 attempts. I've really enjoyed this hitch.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #17
glc

Flip-over ball

Just a note from a newbie. I installed the B&W flipover ball on my TV that way the box always has a flat surface for hauling when not in tow-mode.Just a thought....I really like mine.
glc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #18
Face Down

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad View Post
You know, I wanted to get something out there for people to see this product and to show my experience with an alternative product that work well. Not to convince people that they have to have it. I also thought it'd be easy to track my history with a goosebox.
Wanted to thank you for posting this thread, it was a great help for me figuring out which way to go as far as hitches are concerned with my new Toy Hauler purchase....I have been researching for months!

My two main concerns with the Goose Box were the 16K# weight and 3200# pin ratings and what using one (if anything) would do to my RV warranty. The Carbon 357 that I just purchased has a max GVWR of 16.5k (12780 dry) and a hitch weight of 3060#'s (@GVWR). Never thought I would put the 3600#'s in the Carbon to get all the way to max GVWR, but I was a little worried that I would be right on the ragged edge of the Goose Box capacities if I did. To my delight, just recently, Reese/LCI came out with a beefier version of the Goose Box rated at 20K# capacity /4000# hitch weight. Also I did call Keystone directly and spoke with the East Coast Sales Rep and he did in fact confirm that the use of the Reese Goose Box will not void the warranty of the unit....

So I took the plunge...just got it installed last night and looking forward to pulling with it to see how it does. My 2006 F350 came with a Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball already installed, it is going to be nice to keep the bed clear and get a better connection between the TV and TH than just a standard 5th wheel pin box. I also ordered chains...not even sure if they are required in NC but they will give me a little piece of mind.

I will report back myself on my experience over the many trips we have planned for the summer.

Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:34 AM   #19
Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Down View Post
Wanted to thank you for posting this thread, it was a great help for me figuring out which way to go as far as hitches are concerned with my new Toy Hauler purchase....I have been researching for months!

My two main concerns with the Goose Box were the 16K# weight and 3200# pin ratings and what using one (if anything) would do to my RV warranty. The Carbon 357 that I just purchased has a max GVWR of 16.5k (12780 dry) and a hitch weight of 3060#'s (@GVWR). Never thought I would put the 3600#'s in the Carbon to get all the way to max GVWR, but I was a little worried that I would be right on the ragged edge of the Goose Box capacities if I did. To my delight, just recently, Reese/LCI came out with a beefier version of the Goose Box rated at 20K# capacity /4000# hitch weight. Also I did call Keystone directly and spoke with the East Coast Sales Rep and he did in fact confirm that the use of the Reese Goose Box will not void the warranty of the unit....

So I took the plunge...just got it installed last night and looking forward to pulling with it to see how it does. My 2006 F350 came with a Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball already installed, it is going to be nice to keep the bed clear and get a better connection between the TV and TH than just a standard 5th wheel pin box. I also ordered chains...not even sure if they are required in NC but they will give me a little piece of mind.

I will report back myself on my experience over the many trips we have planned for the summer.

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped you out. I also researched for a long time. Went back and forth. Ultimately I couldn't pass up the open bed and no heavy hitch. It's an awesome ride with the air bag also. I hope to hear about your travels and hope they are enjoyable as ours have been with the hitch. I didn't realize there was a heavier version that came out. Makes sense though. Glad to hear it too lol

Old 05-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #20
Desert185

If anyone ever needs more capacity, the Andersen Ultimate gooseneck version is rated at 24,000#. I do think the Goosebox makes a lot of sense, though, for the advantage of a hernia-free, instantly unobstructed bed when unhitched. The typical 5er hitch is a head-shaker, given the current options.

www.andersenhitches.com
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote