Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Jim7411

Slide Toppers

I've decided to get SlideToppers for all our slideouts on the Laredo and have a question for any of you do-it-yourselfers out there who might have already done it. Over all 3 slides is a gutter. It's about 1-1/4" above the frame of the slide. Do I mount the awning rail above the gutter, or is there room to squeeze it in the space below it? Or possibly remove the gutter, since there really won't be any need for it once the topper is installed.
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim7411 View Post
I've decided to get SlideToppers for all our slideouts on the Laredo and have a question for any of you do-it-yourselfers out there who might have already done it. Over all 3 slides is a gutter. It's about 1-1/4" above the frame of the slide. Do I mount the awning rail above the gutter, or is there room to squeeze it in the space below it? Or possibly remove the gutter, since there really won't be any need for it once the topper is installed.
Leave the gutter alone, Mine are installed above it with a new track and lots of the putty stuff and SS screws/hex heads?
I can try and attach a photo that shows them from my phone, but lookign at them right now its not mounted that high above those gutters, looks to be barely 2 inches above. Cant look at my camper as its in storage for 3 more weeks at the beach..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
outwest

It can be a tight squeeze to get the slide topper under the gutter, but yeah, leave gutter be.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

On our Cougar, the gutter sits just about "EVEN" with the flange on the top of the slide. If we had put the awning rail (to attach the slide) under the gutter, the slide cover would have drained back toward the RV wall rather than off the side of the slide. To put the awning rail above the gutter would render the gutter as extra "useless" weight.

We removed the gutter, placed the awning rail in that location so the slide cover drains away from the RV and reinstalled the gutter and down spouts about 3" above the awning rail and slide cover.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Jim7411

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to do the bedroom first, since it's the shortest, and see how it goes. If that goes well, then the other two, which are much longer. By then I should be an expert!
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Woodsrider

Tag for updates.

I'll be watching this thread for updates. After this weekend’s camping trip, and the subsequent scrub down when we got it home today, I've come to the realization that this is a must have. Either that, or I need to pack a ladder to clean the top of the slide.

It was a pretty gusty weekend and the top of my slide was covered in about 4 inches of wet maple leaves, seeds, tree lichens, pine cones branches and needles.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
BeaverRZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
I'll be watching this thread for updates. After this weekend’s camping trip, and the subsequent scrub down when we got it home today, I've come to the realization that this is a must have. Either that, or I need to pack a ladder to clean the top of the slide.

It was a pretty gusty weekend and the top of my slide was covered in about 4 inches of wet maple leaves, seeds, tree lichens, pine cones branches and needles.
I send my 15y/o up on the roof with a broom to clean the slides before they're retracted. Cheaper than toppers
Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverRZR View Post
I send my 15y/o up on the roof with a broom to clean the slides before they're retracted. Cheaper than toppers
Cheaper than toppers? Your 15 year old doesn't eat what my 15 year old ate LOL He'd open the refrigerator door, inhale once and we'd have to go grocery shopping before supper...... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Woodsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverRZR View Post
I don't have a ladder on my TT. And if I did, I'd have to get up there myself, my boy doesn't do heights. At home I use the same 24' ladder I use to get on the roof of the house. I'm not packing that thing $200 for a topper to fit my slide is less than a weeks groceries.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Bob Landry

I use a 12' collapsable ladder, lean it against the side of the slide out and clean it off with a broom. If I were to install toppers, they would be for the purpose of keeping direct sun off the top of the slide outs and only then if i were convinced it would help with summer cooling. The ladder stores under the bed.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Terry W.

I had slide toppers put on all 4 of our slides as part of the deal. But I still get on top of camper with a electric leaf blower and blow the topper and roof off before closing slides, also use blower the clear leaf at campsite also.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote