Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Jca3

My solution for more water in the black tank.

When we camp we see so many people heading over to the campground bathrooms and showers rather than using those in the RV. Can't figure this one out. If I had to use a campground bathroom I would not be a happy camper. When we bought our first fifth wheel the salesman said, "put lots of water down the black for ease in dumping."
My solution for more water in the black and less in the gray is to buy a small plastic dishpan that is the exact size as my kitchen sink. I do dishes in it collecting all the water. My husband hands me the dish pan and I dump it down the toilet. The gray tank basically only has shower water so we haven't had to use any chemical plus it extends how many days we can go before it is full.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

"If I had to use a campground bathroom, I would not be a happy camper."

Some people have an aversion to using campground bathrooms and showers and; if you have had to use one that is not clean or sanitary, I can appreciate that. However, there are many campgrounds who have extremely clean and sanitary bathrooms and showers and a good manager/owner knows the value of having and keeping them this way.

It's the first thing many campers check out upon arrival and their impression after visiting the washrooms is a lasting one. Its a high priority amongst all RVers and a campground can be given a poor rating based on that one criteria alone.

Like so many other camping habits and routines, it's all about personal preference. Some do, some don't and; in the end, it really doesn't matter a whole lot.

We also take the odd dishpan full of water and deposit it in the toilet but we do it in reverse --- I get to dump it down after my wife passes me the pan. Still works.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
"If I had to use a campground bathroom, I would not be a happy camper."

Some people have an aversion to using campground bathrooms and showers and; if you have had to use one that is not clean or sanitary, I can appreciate that. However, there are many campgrounds who have extremely clean and sanitary bathrooms and showers and a good manager/owner knows the value of having and keeping them this way.

It's the first thing many campers check out upon arrival and their impression after visiting the washrooms is a lasting one. Its a high priority amongst all RVers and a campground can be given a poor rating based on that one criteria alone.

Like so many other camping habits and routines, it's all about personal preference. Some do, some don't and; in the end, it really doesn't matter a whole lot.

We also take the odd dishpan full of water and deposit it in the toilet but we do it in reverse --- I get to dump it down after my wife passes me the pan. Still works.
Now .... Just who are you trying to fool. You're doing the dishes and the dumping.

We dump the dishwater in the toilet also to keep things flowing.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Jca3

Festus these aren't private campgrounds with clean restrooms. We live with 'ol west outhouses in the national parks and no showers so people go for days without one.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
TandE

What kind of plastic tub/liner do you use that fits the sink? This is a good idea, never even thought about that and it probably would have helped us out last weekend when we had no sewer hookups an came close to filling our grey tank.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Jca3 - You mean the kind with the Sears Roebuck catalogue for TP? Gotcha! I now understand why you are reluctant to use them.

Hankpage - "You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all of the time." I thought you weren't paying attention. I tried.

TandE -
What kind of dishpan? Just a cheap plastic pan that we sized out to fit inside the sink and bought it in a big box store somewhere. Walmart? I sized it out so that my hands would feel "comfortable" when doing the dishes --- and dumping the water.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Jca3

dishpan

Yup just one of the Wal-mart or other store plastic square pan. I have had mine for two trailers so the standard small sized one seems to work for most.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #8
Jca3

shower head shut off

Also TandE I purchased a shower head with a shut off from Amazon. Our old Jayco had one for turning off while soaping up or shampoo then turn on to rinse. The Laredo didn't have one and it really saves water.
We dry camp a lot so need all these water saving gadgets.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

We also use dishwater at times to augment water in the black tank when needed. I have no idea where the plastic pan that fits the sink came from but knowing my wife it was a dollar store. It fits perfect.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
TandE

Thanks for the info now I need to find one for us to use. Out camper came with a shutoff valve for the shower head but it is pretty stiff and hard to use so we may get a new one if this one does not break in. Kinda weird yours didn't come with one though.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote