Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
richarde

Converter fan noise

Hi, I am on the checkout trip after taking delivery of Cougar 25rls on Monday. So far we love the trailer, except for 2 things:

Converter fan noise. Any light causes it to run. With 3 lights on, it sounds almost like an exhaust fan in a home bathroom. Is this normal?

Leak from corner shower. First shower was great, except for the water on the floor outside the shower when I got out. Looks like multiple areas on the inside of stall that must be missing caulk.

Would like to hear how other converter fans run.

thanx

Fellow Vets
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Ron

Hi Richard: Your converter fan will make some noise, the more lights you turn on, the more power draw you have, the fan will go faster and more noisey to keep the transformer cool. As far as the shower, in the Cougar we use to own, where the aluminum corners come together, we caulked about 6" up from base to solve our problem, good luck. Happy Campin...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Jables

If you swap to led bulbs, your converter fan will barely run.
Jables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
If you swap to led bulbs, your converter fan will barely run.
I have since converted to LED.

With EVERY SINGLE LIGHT in the RV (inside, outside, basement, etc) turned on, my converter does not come on at all.

SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
GaryWT

Ours runs, notice it more in the Premier. Figuring with everything going on heat, AC, tv, radio or whatever, we will not realise it is on while camping.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
campingcpl

A mod you can do to quiet the fan down is to remove the fan from the converter and take it to your local computer store and get a replacement fan that has ball bearings and will move more air. Most of the OEM converter fans are cheap (about $2.00) 80mm computer fans that can easily be replaced with a higher performance fan. I can barely hear ours run even sitting next to the converter.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarde View Post
Hi, I am on the checkout trip after taking delivery of Cougar 25rls on Monday. So far we love the trailer, except for 2 things:

Converter fan noise. Any light causes it to run. With 3 lights on, it sounds almost like an exhaust fan in a home bathroom. Is this normal?

Leak from corner shower. First shower was great, except for the water on the floor outside the shower when I got out. Looks like multiple areas on the inside of stall that must be missing caulk.

Would like to hear how other converter fans run.

thanx
With a new RV that has a "louder than normal" converter cooling fan, you may want to get access to peek in and see if maybe there's some construction debris that fell into the fan blades and is causing the excess noise. The fan is essentially a computer cooling fan and it should only be a whisper. You can hear it, but it shouldn't be something that you focus on because it's "too loud"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
richarde

Thanx for the responses

Thank you to all for helping a new Cougar guy. I plan on bringing the trailer back to the dealer for the repairs. I think the led idea is good. The shower does seem to leak in the corners. Hopefully the dealer will fix. Realizing that these units aren't like homes, but a I paid quite a bit for this rig, and shouldn't have to repair it so soon.

Currently on the Cal coast at Moro Bay SP enjoying our new unit.

thanx

Fellow Vets
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote