Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Trailsport07

What brand

So I have been looking at some new campers with my wife. We have narrowed it down to a Jayco Eagle and the Keystone Couger. Could anyone give me some reasons to choose the keystone over the Jayco. Anyone here ever owned both brands. Love the build quality of Jayco as well as the Couger. Thank you
Trailsport07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
fla-gypsy

They should be a similar quality. All other factors being equal I would go with the one that has the largest gray and black water tanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
MadMax

My Keystone

What we liked about our Cougar, a 2008 289BHS fifth wheel was the fact that, besides the couch and dining area being on a slide was the bunkhouse was also on a slide (on the opposite side). This bunkhouse was a separate room where I set up my computer, printer, etc. and could be away from the TV when I want. We also liked the light coloured cabinets which made it brighter inside. The walk-around bed was a treat to make up. The corner shower is awesome and we could shower comfortably even though the hot water tank only holds about 6 gallons.
The toilet area is actually a small room by itself. The storage in this unit includes a very large pass-thru storage area as well as a storage area under the bunkhouse and one more in the front where the batteries are located.
So far we have had very little trouble with our unit even though it is 4 years + old (we just purchased it last May).
Our second choice originally was a Jayco Eagle.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
TAZ23

Are you looking at travel trailers or fifth wheels? They are both quailty campers and there are lots of them on the road. I have a freind that owns a cougar 5'er and another freind that owns a Eagle 5'er, and both are very happy with them, and have had no major problems with them. If you do a lot of dry camping the Eagle has a larger fresh water tank. The choice is yours, go with the one that suits you best and happy camping.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Trailsport07

My wife and I are looking at travel trailers the two we are considering are the Jayco Eagle 314 bds and the Keystone Couger 329 tsb. Not sure I like the extra slide for the closet on the couger. Tough decision to make. Any 329 owners or former Jayco owners.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Trailsport07

So we have been looking at the two trailers , Couger and the Eagle. We are leaning toward the Jayco. Can anyone give me any reasons why I should choose one over the other. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
x96mnn

We camp with a couple who have a 2010 built Jayco and it is terrible. Leaks, broken appliances, floor squeak, trailer shorts out TV fuse and other power issues. It is a 29ft camper but other then that I do not know more, only he has asked us to burn it while he was away a couple times.

With that said there are fokes on here who will tell you not to buy a Keystone. Personally love mine few issues like a cracked cupboard door, had an awning motor die but that is it so far.

Buy from the dealer you like the best, if the same dealer buy the floor plan you like best. If close buy the better one in price and if that is the same.....close your eyes and pick one lol.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
fla-gypsy

I have owned a Jayco Eagle and a Keystone Hornet. The Jayco was made better but cost a lot more too. The Cougars tend to have low waste tank capacity which can be an issue if you are not at FHU campsites. The Jayco will probably cost more.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
zuley

Everything being equal I would suggest you look at the selling dealer for both units and use that as a strong determining factor. How close are they to your home? What is their reputation like for quality work? I strongly believe you could buy the best unit out there whether it be a car, an RV, or a brick for that matter. If you are not happy with the dealer you are soon going to be not happy with whatever you purchased.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Trailsport07

Well we decided to buy a new travel trailer and the winner is . The 2013 Jayco Eagle 314bds. The local dealer has a better reputation then the Keystone dealer. Still like Keystone trailers but the Jayco has everything were looking for. Thanks for everyone's help and honesty. Hey no matter what brand you own were all campers right.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsport07 View Post
Well we decided to buy a new travel trailer and the winner is . The 2013 Jayco Eagle 314bds. The local dealer has a better reputation then the Keystone dealer. Still like Keystone trailers but the Jayco has everything were looking for. Thanks for everyone's help and honesty.
Hey no matter what brand you own were all campers right.

Congrats and good luck with your new trailer. If you are like most of us that will not be the last trailer you buy. All thats left now is to drag it home and start using it. Drive safely and happy camping.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
Badboy

My wife and I looked at both and we decided on the Cougar 31 RKS over Jayco,Cougar has more storage inside and all the tanks have more than enough capacity,and the Cougar is better built,will not ever buy any thing else.looked at all makes out there and Cougar is by far the best,will keep buying Cougars.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Trailsport07

Wow, That's what you believe the Cougers are built better then cool. But they are of the same build quality. I think Jaycos are built better. But it don't matter they are both built well. Any way thanks everyone.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
billb800si

We've owned a Jayco Eagle 322FKS for 6 years now. It's been great- everything works fine with it. I think the quality if up with the rest of them. Jayco is one of the few company's that offer a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. Also Jayco will supply electrical wiring diagrams- wall stud location diagrams etc..
Having said all that we probably will be buying a Cougar High Country 321RES trailer this time around. Love the 3 slide (bed slide) floor plan. Plenty of exterior pass thru storage, the bed is a true queen size (60"x80"), comes with Mor/ryde suspension, the looks of the 2013 models are spectacular and the remote fob is a real plus.
Happy trails,
Bill B. (Michigan)
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote