Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Scott Thompson

Cougnar HighCountry 321RES VS Rockwood Signature Serise 8329

I have narrowed it doen to 2 different models: Need so help picking the right one. We have looked at the Cougar High Country 321RES and the Forest Rive Rockwood Signature Serise 8329. Both have the same lay out with three slides. I am looking for any issues anyone has had. This will be the first camper that we have purchsed new and don't want to make a mistake with this investment.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Scott

Moderator's Note: This post was moved from For Sale/Wanted to Buy section of the forum to here.
Scott Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
richf28

I can't give much input on individual models but I myself have a Keystone brand and haven't had any warranty work needed. Two of our camping friends have Rockwoods and both have had them back for repairs for workmanship issues. Minor but none the less.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
TAZ23

I'm not sure how many objective opinions you will get here with this being a Keystone forum and the Rockwood being a Forest River product. I have a Outback which I like very much and I have a friend who has a Rockwood that he is very happy with, so it will probally come down to personal choice. With that being said I have looked at both of those trailers and here is a couple of things I noticed.
The Cougar HC has more wardrobe space in the bed room (there is a closet across the front of the trailer plus a dresser opposite of the bed.) The cougar does not have a linen cabinet in the bathroom, but the bathroom seems to have more room because of this.
The Rockwood has two awnings, (one over the curb side slideout.) That will give you a larger patio area, but if it is a full eight foot awning you will need a wide unobstructed campsite to use it. (eight foot trailer. two opposing slide outs plus the awning.
FWIW- There was a poll done here a while ago where the overwhelming majority said they would buy another keystone product.
OK, so now I probally have you more confused than ever. Sorry 'bout that. My suggestion would be to take your time and go look at both of them again and make out a list of what you like and dislike about both units. Spend some time in them and "pretend camp". See how it feels to you and go with what your heart tells you and then dont look back and enjoy your new rig.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
I can't give much input on individual models but I myself have a Keystone brand and haven't had any warranty work needed. Two of our camping friends have Rockwoods and both have had them back for repairs for workmanship issues. Minor but none the less.
FWIW I have never had any warranty problems with mine either.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Wayne

We considered the 321RES a couple yrs ago. We compared it to the Cougar HC 299RK 5er & ended up buying the 5er. It is our 2nd Cougar & we have been pleased with both. If you do a search you will find many posts on the 321RES. The only major complaint seems to be the bed pulling away from the wall & that may be fixed now. I have also heard good things about the Rockwood. I believe the Rockwood has 30 amp svc & the Cougar has 50 Amp svc if that makes a difference to you.

I am mainly surprised that you consider these to be the same floor plan; since one has an island & the other a large rear entertainment center. Both plans are appealing for different reasons but seem quite different. As someone stated, try them both on for size & good luck.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

I am mainly surprised that you consider these to be the same floor plan; since one has an island & the other a large rear entertainment center. Both plans are appealing for different reasons but seem quite different. As someone stated, try them both on for size & good luck.
Well....

They're the same in the respect that they are rear-living, mid-kitchen and front bedroom....

The main difference for me is the seating position. The Keystone RE floodplain is opposing seating...

The Forest River with adjacent 90 degree seating. People in the closest two seats share the same leg space. Can feel cramped when moving around.

The Keystone has a MUCH roomier feel...

Not brand specific... Totally floor plan.. When shopping, my wife and I much preferred the Keystone RE floor plan vs the Keystone RL floor plan.

Deal breaker for us. Your mileage may vary!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Andrew010

Cougar 321RES has a better layout and feel vs that Rockwood.

I own a '13 Cougar 321RES as well.
Andrew010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Maggman

321res

Just traded up to a 2013 Cougar 321 RES High Country and what a big difference from my Passport. Outstanding Craftsmanship, not one problem so far and were permanent and seasonal at a resort. Hopefully, we will have no problems. I'm pretty fussy, ( or at least wifee is), and can't find one problem. I did have a slightly sticky door hinge, but a bit of blaster spray settled that in about 2 sec's. Love the new rig.
Maggman is offline   Reply With Quote