Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
casonge

Water heater issues not covered

Hi;
I am hoping to get some help from Keystone RV owners familiar with gas/electric 12 gallon hot water tank. We dry camp a few times a year and noticed on our first trip out with our brand new Laredo 316RL fifth wheel that when switching on to gas the light would come on for a few seconds and immediatly go out. We tried several times and same results. Camping World is now saying that it supposedly is designed for the light to go out which is completely opposite of what all of our previous campers did. I mean if the light goes out and you run out of propane how would you know?? It makes no sense. Anyway long story short they want to charge us for a half hour to diagnose. Sound like a load of crap to me. Has anyone ever heard of this or know this to be true? There is nothing in the manual and it was never mentioned to us when we went over the workings of the trailer. Any help would be appreciated.
casonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
mdavidson

hot water heater

that is correct if the light goes out it is lit if the light stays on it not lit at least thats the way it has been on my last two rv's.
mdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
JReinhart

That is identical to my Laredo 321bh as well. It was the same way on my last tt too
Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Casonge, you should have 2 switches for the hot water heater. There is a toggle switch outside at the bottom of the unit that you flip to turn it on. This is only accessible when you remove the outside cover. The switch on the wall activates the auto fire for the propane, and the light only comes on when it is heating with propane. Think of it as a quick recovery system- the propane is only a back up in case your electric can't keep up. Don't know if they have changed the design on these lately, but ours hardly ever runs on propane when we are plugged in compared to our old campers. As far as knowing if you run out of propane, guess that would be when you notice a really cold shower. When ours does fire, I can hear the clicking of the auto igmitor if I'm inside and can also hear the propane running. Mine's right inside the door and I took the covers off the cabinets so I have access to it, maybe that's why I can hear it.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #5
casonge

thanks for the feedback. We have had alot of older trailers (not Keystone) and this was new to us. Campers World is covering the service charge after a hard fought battle. LOL So all is good picking it up today and then a fast winterization to tuck it away for the winter.
Happy camping all you warm weather dwellers.
casonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
miller8179

That's how it works. Light off is GOOD. Light on means it did not light.
miller8179 is offline   Reply With Quote