Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
monica4patience

CPAP users: advice needed

The wardrobes on either side of the bed in our Outback 310BHS are full-length. There is a carpeted step on each side in front of the wardrobe. There is nowhere for me to set up my CPAP machine except on the step; which means no access to the wardrobe. Plus there's no electric outlet on my side, so I use an extension cord down the side of the bed, and around the bottom to the left.
While this setup works, it's really a pain to move everything (although it's on a tray) in order to get to my clothes.

I've thought about cutting a hole in the side of the wardrobe at the side of the bed. There's extra room at the back of the wardrobe. It'd be nice to put the machine in there, maybe even put a shelf for my book, alarm clock,etc. Would the machine need more air circulating? Is there a product to cover the rough edges of the hole? Would I have an outlet put in also?

Has anyone made specific modifications for their CPAP machine?
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
hankaye

monica4patience, Howdy;

You didn't say which year model Outback you have...
I found a 2010 on line... from what I saw you might
consider a mod to the overhead book shelf. of course
you'd have to open a door or something to allow air to
get to it. Something to ponder...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
chuck&gail

Mine doesn't need much air, closet door likely leaks plenty.

Mine has water that needs replacing every day. If yours does, remember to consider access, and be sure to empty before travel.

For hole, ask hardware store for a BIG rubber washer. If they have a big one it should work fine. I've done that before. Note they are easy to cut and make SMALLER, but bigger doesn't work. Another possibilty is getting moulding used on RV bottom trim that slips over edges. It wil also work great, but is harder to find.

Extension cords work fine, or you can add an outlet if you want.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Bushman512000

Talking do a mod

Look for a rubber growmet in a auto parts store also a small plastic air vent cover at a lumber yard they come in different sizes and colours also to ventr the closet.Mabe a new elect.plug is to be wired in also!Just up to You how far You go with the up grade. BUSH
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
monica4patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
monica4patience, Howdy;

You didn't say which year model Outback you have...
I found a 2010 on line... from what I saw you might
consider a mod to the overhead book shelf. of course
you'd have to open a door or something to allow air to
get to it. Something to ponder...

hankaye
Thanks for the suggestion, but it can't be located overhead. Needs to be at least bed level or lower in order to work properly.
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
hankaye

monica4patience, Howdy;

Sorry, forgot about that feature. Been so long since I've used mine...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica4patience View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but it can't be located overhead. Needs to be at least bed level or lower in order to work properly.
That's odd. I have two CPAPs and neither seems to have a problem operating on the closet shelf. The original REMaster C-flex sort of breathed in and out and my DW said it was like sleeping with Darth Vader. I replaced it with a small Puritan Bennett with no fancy features that was much quieter and use it in the house. The REMaster resides on the closet shelf in the fiver and I close the sliding closet door leaving a small crack for the CPAP hose. The closed door masks the sound and the DW is happy.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Roller4Tan

My last fiver had a step up to the wardrobe.I put mine below the step on the floor and used it from there. No problem opening wardrobe door. Lucky for me there was an outlet near my head for power. The new 5er has a bed slide and the wardrobe in front. I sleep on the front side of the bed and use the wardrobe to put my machine in. There is also a plug in there to hook up to. I got a longer than normal hose to use.
For you too add an outlet, I don't know where your nearest source is, but you may be able to run a line to your side of the bed pedestal. I did that in a different trailer.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote