Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
LittleJoe

Question Licensing weights

How many people are actually registering your rig for the combined weight truck and trailer? (IN Ontario any trailer over 2800KG/6160LB on trailer axles when attached to truck must be registered for combined weight of truck and trailer). Tag for 21000Lb in Ontario is approx 400.00 per year.

How many have ever been stopped or fined for not having appropriate weight on your license tags.

Point comes up from recipricosity agreements with provinces/states. If you are legal in home state/province you are accepted as legal out of home .

If you are not legal at home, you are fair game to what fine amounts in other states/provinces?
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Little Joe-
Not necessarily. In some states and provinices, you can tow a boat behind a 5th wheel providing your length overall doesn't exceed "x" ft. In Alberta, for example, that is legal. In our province, it isn't and if someone from Alberta was pulled over for pulling a boat behind his 5th wheel, he/she would be subject to whatever provincial fines or other penalties would apply in this province. Saying that it is okay to double/triple tow in Alberta doesn't cut it here in BC.

I don't think there is any common "fine amount" from province to province or from state to state. The fine is usually set by that jurisdiction and has nothing to do with any federal agreements and would vary from place to place. The amount of the fine would vary depending on where you are.

I'm not sure if the same "rules" apply regarding weight limits or not but I think you are right about reciprocity agreements being in effect. But try telling that to a local traffic enforcement officer who just happens to think you might be overweight. (Not you personally but your rig!)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
LittleJoe

I realize double towing is not allowable in some states and provinces.(used to live in BC), and that fines are not the same for weights.

Just curious how many are running legal and if anyone has been fined, what were the numbers.

eg : In Ontario it is $6.00 per 100kg from 5000-7500KG = 450.00 which is about same cost of licensing for 10000KG for one year . (that is 7500kg above your truck registered weight of truck only. rough example) Over 7500 there is no set rate......read you are going to court.

In New York state they go by percentages of out of compliance and weights and $ can add up fast.

I think a big percentage of rigs are not registered properly according to campfire logic . Just thought it would be a interesting topic.

DOT never used to even look at this stuff much, but it is becoming a little more common in my neck of the woods , for them to go after horse trailers, and fines into several thousand dollars, when you get into the personal/commercial fine muddy lines.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
jsmith948

In California, annual license fees are predicated on the value of the vehicle (this amount will decrease each year) and, for commercial plates, on the unladen weight of the vehicle. Generally, the DMV will use the manufacturers weight. However, when I purchased my semi, I was required to get a certified, unladen weight of the power unit for licensing purposes. The towed vehicle is not added to the power unit. Hopefully, the CA DMV isn't monitoring this forum ...... another source of revinue!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
SGardiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
How many people are actually registering your rig for the combined weight truck and trailer? (IN Ontario any trailer over 2800KG/6160LB on trailer axles when attached to truck must be registered for combined weight of truck and trailer). Tag for 21000Lb in Ontario is approx 400.00 per year.

How many have ever been stopped or fined for not having appropriate weight on your license tags.

Point comes up from recipricosity agreements with provinces/states. If you are legal in home state/province you are accepted as legal out of home .

If you are not legal at home, you are fair game to what fine amounts in other states/provinces?
I am looking for tbis info. On the MTO site and cannot find it. Can you post a link?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
LittleJoe

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...hicle-info.pdf

Not sure if this will work. If you look around on the main site mto.gov.on.ca there is a lot of info including the no longer in use law of having a Class A-R.
This is no longer needed until you are in excess of 24500LB combined towing weight.

You can purchase your license sticker in 3month increments and move your weight up and down as needed to help out a little.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I speak for Oregon, likely all other states also. Unless you are a COM. VEH. over 26001 lbs. No police could care or check to see what you pay for in your state or country for license fees or wt. When you become a resident that state will want the correct fess paid ASAP. Oregon has pasenger vehicle fees all the same, then RV fees per lenght of RV. COM. VEHs start paying more when over 10,000 lbs. and thats per wt. 26001 lbs plus then wt. and milage fees.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
concours

I wonder how many drivers are not licensed for the size of the rig they are driving, here in BC any RV trailer over 4600 KG 10,200 LBS the driver must have a 07 endorsement. A good friend of mine who is a claims adjuster for our provincial insurance says that many drivers of 5th wheels are illegal, the sad thing is that RV sales people never advise new owners of this
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
fred1609

I'm from BC an have the endorsement on my drivers licence. Its a bit of a cash grab but maybe it will get some of the sketchy drivers off the road. That said I've never been stopped and checked either.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
A good friend of mine who is a claims adjuster for our provincial insurance says that many drivers of 5th wheels are illegal, the sad thing is that RV sales people never advise new owners of this
Concours -

Unfortunately, there are some RV salespeople who are not aware of this requirement. In addition, there are some RV buyers who might not purchase one of these larger units IF they knew they had to take and pass an exam making them "legal". And finally, there are quite a few who know they are illegal, are pulling without an endorsement disregarding the insurance implications and confident in knowing that the chances of them being pulled over by the RCMP are slim and none.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
concours

Our Cougar 331MKS is boarderline legal bone dry and empty so it lets the salesmen off the hook but the law says the licencing is for the trailer at the time of inspection the details are very clear on ICBC'S web site. I was fortunate because when I decided that I no longer needed a class 3 and it's medical fees (yet another cash grab) I downgraded to a class5 with a 07 RV trailer endorsement. I still find it hard to believe that our insurance companies don't ask for proof of licensing, I guess it's just easier to decline coverage if something happens. I agree many owners decide not to have the correct license as it must be very intimidating for some having to take the test. I also ride and know of many riders that don't have a class 6
Old 12-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

In Oregon any RV or combo TV/RV, you only need a standard driver license. It will likely change if DMW thinks having higher fees or for safety reasons it would help Oregon to have different grades of driver licenses.
Now if you are FOR HIRE pulling RVs or Driving RVs you need different vehicle license (based on wt.) until 26001 lbs, than you must have CDL, log book, limit hours of travel etc. and pay for wt. and miles driven.
Have a marry christmas, safe travels.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
In Oregon any RV or combo TV/RV, you only need a standard driver license. It will likely change if DMW thinks having higher fees or for safety reasons it would help Oregon to have different grades of driver licenses.
Now if you are FOR HIRE pulling RVs or Driving RVs you need different vehicle license (based on wt.) until 26001 lbs, than you must have CDL, log book, limit hours of travel etc. and pay for wt. and miles driven.
Have a marry christmas, safe travels.
What I don't get is most states require an endorsement, training and test for riding a motorcycle.
Yet will allow any one with a standard drivers license pull a trailer with up to a 65' length, and 26,000# GCVW without any type of endorsement.
In those states that have a requirement, it seems to not be very well published (California).

My rig is about 50' and 18,500# and according to the state is easier to drive than a 500# motorcycle, or so I would guess as I am not required to have any endorsement.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
concours

After over 40 plus years of motorcycle riding been on a bike is a very natural environment for me but I see the license training very essential as most of the training is based on low speed skills but most of all safety awareness, just recently I was almost hit by a car comming over the centre median I would have felt much safer in the rig. (and I mean it was a very close call). Having said all that there needs to be more operator instruction for RV owners I am oftern shocked when I see how operators hook up EQ hitches ect. Don't get me going on this

Have a great Holliday everyone
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Brantlaker

Licensing

I gave up my class A drivers licence when they started the CDL licence I never thought at that time that I would need to drive a tractor trailer again.WRONG!! 5 years ago my DW and I bought a 30ft TT and started traveling with it (bought it with the money I got from my Harley after the accident. I hit a deer and while on pain pills she talked me into selling it). I tried to get my CDL back but can not pass the physical.But in NY I can drive with my car licence. So here I am driving a 42ft long truck and a 5W. It makes no sense I have seen 75-80 year old people getting out of ther MH and 5W with canes and walkers in worst condition than me. These people scare me when I am driving.there should be some control over driver licences. Where I live I see a lot RV's driven by people from Quebec and do not see the same sort of driver.I think they need a special licence to drive them?

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
maxx1963

I 100% agree there should be rv license training. I have a class A license with a doubles and triples endorsement and am considered a WA state professional driver, no insurance break, but my wife gets one for having a 4 year college degree. That makes a whole lot of sense??

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
2007 Yamaha Wolverine(wife's)
2002 Suzuki LT-A50(daughter's)
1995 Yamaha G14 golf cart
maxx1963 is offline   Reply With Quote