Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Scott Thompson

Look to buy a new High Country 321RES TT

We are wanting to nupgrade our RV and are looking at a new High Country 321 RES. This unit has a large living room with 3 slides. Any feedback out there with owners of this unit. Will be towing it with a 2010 Tundra.

Thanks,
Scott

Moderator's Note:
Scott, I moved your post to this new category since you could be a prospective new owner. We recently revised the forum and added this section which is devoted to those who are considering buying a Keystone.
You are the first to submit a post here. Welcome and congratulations.
Scott Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
chris199

Scott,

Welcome to the forum! There is a ton of great info here and the people are great!

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I suspect you will be way over the payload limits of the Tundra with this TT to be safe for you/your family and others on the road with you. With just my wife and I and a 29REV, we are at/just over payload. We are OK on weight per axle...but the 321RES is much heavier. In addition, Id be very concerned about the length of the 321RES with the wheelbase of the Tundra. We were going to buy a long 32SAB and bought a Hensley hitch to deal with sway....the 32SAB is too long for the Tundra's wheel base as well. I am happy Keystone couldn't deliver the 32 SAB we wanted. I would not want to be towing that monster without a 3/4 ton truck. The Tundra does great with our 29REV! 32 feet is plenty to tow.

There is ample info on weight calcs, etc on the forum. If you want more specifics, please prvt msg me. Will be glad to get into details. I also posted the final weights, etc for my 2012 Tundra (5.7 V8) and the 29REV onthe forum as well.

What engine is on ur Tundra btw?

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
usamacdonald

Unhappy Just a thought

I would suggest that as you go through the decision process be careful when you make your final decision and selection. I have recently had a problem with my Fuzion Toyhauler that the brochure that Keystone published on my trailer was outdated and they had made changes in the trailer that were not depicted. I did not find out the differences for a couple of months. When I quizzed the customer service department they told me that the brochure had been printed in Dec 2011 and my trailer had been built in Mar 2012. The differences were not major but you never know what might be important to you but not the manufacturer. Over the course of several emails Keystone essentially said they changed some stuff and that was that.
So my advice is whether you buy a Keystone or any other brand, make sure your check what you get down to the size of the furnace, size of the tanks, what kind of windows you are supposed to have and everything else. It appears to be ok to change stuff and not tell you
Just my thoughts
Randy
usamacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
heatkits

I have one, best trailer I've ever towed.

I have a 2012 model that's just a year old. We've put just a little over 9K miles on this year. We've towed in 8"-10" of snow in NY state, over the ice covered Allegany mountains of PA, through a tornado in NC and 30 mph cross winds in GA & FA. We visited DC in June (103*), the 4th of July in Williamsburg (107*) and watched Shenandoah National Park literally burn up in VA. Of course we camped in VT, NH, MA, ME, NY, RI and Canada as well.

Mine came with all the upgrades, like (2 A/C), heaver axels & springs under chaises storage and spare tire carrier. I sure an thankful for the duel A/C, who know we'd find ourselves in 100* plus heat for three weeks?

I tow with a 2011 F150 HD extended cab, 4X4, (8200 GVW), max tow package, snowplow package and fiberglass cap. Reese duel cam hitch with 14,000lbs bars. I average a little over 10 MPG towing. It's a great truck and a great trailer.

There's a great thread going on in another forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f272/coug...res-89806.html. It's 52 pages long but has real life information on the trailer.
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Scott Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Scott,

Welcome to the forum! There is a ton of great info here and the people are great!

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I suspect you will be way over the payload limits of the Tundra with this TT to be safe for you/your family and others on the road with you. With just my wife and I and a 29REV, we are at/just over payload. We are OK on weight per axle...but the 321RES is much heavier. In addition, Id be very concerned about the length of the 321RES with the wheelbase of the Tundra. We were going to buy a long 32SAB and bought a Hensley hitch to deal with sway....the 32SAB is too long for the Tundra's wheel base as well. I am happy Keystone couldn't deliver the 32 SAB we wanted. I would not want to be towing that monster without a 3/4 ton truck. The Tundra does great with our 29REV! 32 feet is plenty to tow.

There is ample info on weight calcs, etc on the forum. If you want more specifics, please prvt msg me. Will be glad to get into details. I also posted the final weights, etc for my 2012 Tundra (5.7 V8) and the 29REV onthe forum as well.

What engine is on ur Tundra btw?
I have the the Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7, 381 hp and tons of tork. I currently pull a 33' Prowler with no problem. GVWR is 10300 which is within the range of the 321RES since I will never pull it with anything in the tanks.
Scott Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
chris199

I do not believe the gross trailer wgt or the gross combined wgt are the onlyparameters of concern. Gross combined wgt is important but there are limits on wgt for each axle and I think the limit we will all exceed first with a 1/2 ton truck....GVWR....due to tongue wgt.

Here are my wgts with the 2012 Double Cab 5.7 V8.....

Rig hooked up:
Truck Front Axle: 3420
Truck Rear Axle: 3760
Total Truck: 7180
Trailer Axle. 6740

Truck Gvwr Spec: 7100.

Rig NOT Hooked Up:
Truck weight: 6220
Trailer Total: 7680

Tongue Weight is therefore 940 lbs. BTW...Keystone brochure says 755.

Bottom Line....I am over Tundra's GVWR. That's with just my wife and I and minimal stuff in truck...no kids...no supplies.

There is no way a Tundra can tow a ~10,000 lb trailer (Toyota trailer wgt capacity) without exceeding GVWR.

Need to add 50 or 60 lbs to truck wgt....2/3 tank of gas at scale. So I am 100-200 over GVWR.

Technically I should have a 3/4 ton truck. I love my Tundra....it tows great. Just saying.....with a trailer longer and heavier than this benchmark....you have to be exceeding Toyota limits on the truck. When that happens, you have to be concerned with your family's safety and the safety of others on the road when you are driving 65 mph in traffic.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
byrdr1

Check the for sale forum feature in this forum. There is one posted for sale there.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
dwatk

Smile dwatk

have 32 res montana high country [ fifth wheel ] so far so good
love the unit except for the slide floors do not level out with the
main floor . not sure if this normal for cable driven slides.

good luck with the TUNDRA
dwatk is offline   Reply With Quote