Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
hankpage
Site Team

Not a fan of skylights

I really don't like the heat and bright sunlight that the skylights let in. I was thinking ( the DW says that is dangerous ) about painting them with Krylon Fusion (special paint for plastic) but I'm not sure how opaque it would be or if it would still let defused light in. Any thoughts on this appreciated, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
badge4

Hank,

They sell those insulation pillows that fit right into the opening to achieve what you are looking for and if you do change your mind down the road you just pull them out.
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Seen them .... I'm fussy ..... I want some light but not the sun.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Paddler

I'm guessing you are talking about the skylight over the shower enclosure not the roof vents. I have also seriously thought about painting the clear acrylic dome. Our previous tt had a frosted dome and it defused the sunlight but still let in a ton of heat.

Currently I have cut a piece of styrofoam to fit inside the dome, we're short so we don't need the headroom. It reduces the heat but does make the bedroom a bit on the dark side when we have the roof vents stuffed with the insulator/stadium cushions.

If you do paint the dome, let me know how it works. I was just going to use exterior latex paint, figured it would probably peel off but it would not harm the acrylic.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Jay Pat

Mount some reflectix up there with industrial velcro. Cut the cover to the size you want.
Don't forget to remove if you are going to move the rig....
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The inner skylight is held in place with 6 screws and is entirely separate from the outer (top) section which is sealed to the roof. We were getting the same heat buildup that you have. I unscrewed the inside half, cleaned the inner plastic well with windex and cut a piece of the nonstick roll (used in drawers and shelves) and taped it to the inside of the plastic with 4 short pieces of duct tape. I reinstalled it and it looks great. We still get a nice subdued light, and the heat has been cut in half or less. I'll try to post some pix if you need to see how it looks, but the inside is just like it was, only now there's a "filter" sandwiched between the plastic layers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The inner skylight is held in place with 6 screws and is entirely separate from the outer (top) section which is sealed to the roof. We were getting the same heat buildup that you have. I unscrewed the inside half, cleaned the inner plastic well with windex and cut a piece of the nonstick roll (used in drawers and shelves) and taped it to the inside of the plastic with 4 short pieces of duct tape. I reinstalled it and it looks great. We still get a nice subdued light, and the heat has been cut in half or less. I'll try to post some pix if you need to see how it looks, but the inside is just like it was, only now there's a "filter" sandwiched between the plastic layers.
I was going to do this with a piece of window tint but not sure how it would look all crinkled over the inner dome. I may have to try this as paint is not reversible once done. Thanks for another good suggestion, Hank
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
KanTC

DH's parents have retractable shades on the skylights & vents in their motorhome... nice feature & gives the option
to open/close when needed. We have the split bath & considering one for our shower skylight.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/ca...&categoryid=34

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
christopherglenn

The shower skylight in my fuzion 405 is the same size as the windows in the doors. The window covers fit quite well (to bad I can't say the same for the sticky velcro that comes with it).
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
LeeMedic

On my 2010 Sprinter I used a sheet of window tinting. I am going to removed the screws and tint/paint it tomorrow on my 2012. There is just TOOOO much Florida sun that shines through there.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

The sun has been brutal here in New Jersey also. I just noticed the level on my pin box exploded. The good thing is I don't have to SHOVEL sunshine.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
wgb1

I had an extra windshield reflector that I cut out the same size as the plastic surround, then applied small velcro sticky buttons. I can now cover the skylights easily and if I want the light, I can simply jerk them down, roll them up and stash them away. Plus they weigh next to nothing. Very simple mod.

9-27-11 edit WOW! Just noticed nearly two months later, I misspelled weigh. Actully spelled it W. A. Y.! How dumb was that ? LOL!

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I was going to do this with a piece of window tint but not sure how it would look all crinkled over the inner dome. I may have to try this as paint is not reversible once done. Thanks for another good suggestion, Hank
No problem, Hank. I used the WallyWorld nonslip. It's a series of dots interconnected by thin strings. It's light gray so it doesn't "intrude" in the skylight. I kinda think it looks pretty good up there. It blocks much of the light, an adequate bit of the heat and gives the skylight a "finished" look.

Of course that's my "opinion" and yours might be different. One good thing about it, at least it's completely reversible if you don't like it..... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
trucker LOU

sky light mod

Hank, I had same problem. made cover of 2 thickness of styrefom 1/2" panel,bound edges with duct tape,and hold in place with 2 mini bungees across panel hooked to frame screws. still lets some light in but cut heat waaay down. will post pics when get camera fixed .
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
gottago

skylight caulking?

we had moisture buildup between the outer clear dome and the inner clear skylight panel. when we took the 6 screws out, we found bugs and debris in the trim. should there be caulking or weatherstripping between the two before we re-assemble?
gottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottago View Post
we had moisture buildup between the outer clear dome and the inner clear skylight panel. when we took the 6 screws out, we found bugs and debris in the trim. should there be caulking or weatherstripping between the two before we re-assemble?
The inner trim just screws to the ceiling, no caulk. The saw dust and other debris is common in every opening of an RV. I think the industry as a whole saves $$$$$ by leaving trash and scraps in enclosed areas instead of cleaning and disposing of it themselves..

As a follow up to my original post .... As suggested I sandwiched the foil coated bubble-wrap (insulation ) between the domes. Still lets some light in from edges but cut heat and UV way down. Thanks to everyone for your input, Hank

Doesn't look too bad from outside either.

Yeh, I know, the roof needs cleaning.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
Love2camp

VHT Spray

We bought a can of VHT nite shades spray from local auto parts store and sprayed a couple of coats on the outside of the sky light in the shower. Works great!

2012 Keystone Alpine 3700RE
2006 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 DRW
Love2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
audio1der

I've been considering usig some leftover opaque window film which I applied to my garage windows for the same reason.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote