Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2022, 05:05 AM   #1
PRF

Disable vehicle sway control?

I have a Recurve 3 Sway Control WDH and a 2016 Ford F150 that while towing by default, enables vehicle sway control.

The Recurve 3 docs state "Warning: Disable tow vehicle's electronic sway control when a hitch with built-in sway control is in use."

My understanding of how vehicle sway control works is the vehicle will monitor swaying forces and apply micro-bursts of braking to the appropriate wheel to rectify the sway. The electronic monitoring control seems to me to be more efficient and faster reacting than the hitch sway control (but I am not always correct in my way of thinking!).

My questions: What do I use: hitch sway control or vehicle sway control? What's the problem with using both? Do youse guys disable your vehicle sway control? Do your sway control hitches (other than Recurve R3) also state to disable vehicle sway control?

Thanks!
Paul Faeder
PRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:18 AM   #2
CedarCreekWoody

I know nothing about a Recurve 3 but when I had an Equalizer I did not disable anything (nor did the manufacturer recommend it.) It worked great.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:52 AM   #3
markcee

There are a couple of WDHs that advise disabling the factory sway control when towing...Blue Ox is another. You are right in that the factory system is not a sway preventer. It is a passive system that works to mitigate sway once detected, through the braking procedure you described. I have an Equal-i-Zer and there is no such 'warning' to disable it.

I'd give Recurve a call and see what there reasoning is.

There is a lot of discussion on this topic at the various Ford forums. Here are a couple of links:

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/traile...ntrols-524171/
https://www.f150forum.com/f82/disabl...ontrol-432892/
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:40 AM   #4
PRF

There is a lot of discussion on this topic at the various Ford forums. Here are a couple of links:

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/traile...ntrols-524171/
https://www.f150forum.com/f82/disabl...ontrol-432892/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Ford forums links! I'll check them out.
PRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:42 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

As previously stated I'd also recommend reaching out to the hitch mfg. In my thinking the hitch sway control is intended to be a preventative device and the truck sway control is a reactive device. I don't know how one would adversely effect the other but I didn’t engineer ( or litigate) either system.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway control