Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
Scott d

Floating wall

I have a 2012 26 sab fifth wheel. I had a rip in roof from tree limb during hurricane Michael. I did not know it until sometime in Dec I saw water on my bed. I looked up and saw water in light fixture. I called insurance company and luckily had taken pictures of my camper. There was a limb on the ground where adjuster found the test. Ok new roof put on three years ago. I started noticing the back wall bubble and talked to company I bought from. They told me the wall floated and it was normal. Well in the center of the back wall it had came out from under the trim PC. I looked at delamination. Ok. I took
Entire back wall inside down. On each side corner there is black stuff maybe mold and cardboard gone at bottom of one corner. No water damage period in the center where it's the worse. Poor design imo.

Anyone else hv this problem. Oh yeah back wall faces west
Scott d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:38 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott d View Post
I have a 2012 26 sab fifth wheel. I had a rip in roof from tree limb during hurricane Michael. I did not know it until sometime in Dec I saw water on my bed. I looked up and saw water in light fixture. I called insurance company and luckily had taken pictures of my camper. There was a limb on the ground where adjuster found the test. Ok new roof put on three years ago. I started noticing the back wall bubble and talked to company I bought from. They told me the wall floated and it was normal. Well in the center of the back wall it had came out from under the trim PC. I looked at delamination. Ok. I took
Entire back wall inside down. On each side corner there is black stuff maybe mold and cardboard gone at bottom of one corner. No water damage period in the center where it's the worse. Poor design imo.

Anyone else hv this problem. Oh yeah back wall faces west
Scott, To provide any sort of context for your questions, perhaps explain what a 2012 26 sab is. What type 5th wheel? Mine is a Cougar 278EFS. In fact, a signature with year, make and model of your camper and the same for your tow vehicle will make answering your questions a lot more simple. Welcome to the forum!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #3
Scott d

2012 Keystone Cougar 26 sab fifth wheel.
Pulled by 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD cc,Z71
Old 07-09-2022, 03:19 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The rear wall on most Cougars is a "free floating FILON sheet" that is attached at the perimeter and where windows, tail lights and any other attachments are mounted "through the FILON". Otherwise, the wall "floats on a luan/cardboard backing".

It's impossible to try to explain where your rear wall might have been leaking or whether the top molding screws might have "missed the FILON" or if possibly the FILON cracked along those screws and fell away from their intended location..... The only way to know what needs repair is to inspect the entire wall. That means taking at least parts of it down so you can see behind it.

With your description of "black mold behind a part of the wall with wet cardboard in that area and center part of the top pulled away from the molding" then I'd want to remove the entire wall, repair any water damage, treat the mold, replace the insulation and then either rehang that FILON or replace it if it's damaged.

If it was recently done by an RV service facility, then they should be responsible for repairing what they probably didn't reinstall correctly. But, that's got to be between you and that service facility. Without knowing the details of what they did, what you requested they do, how much of the wall they really repaired vs what they sealed and tightened screws, or what other way they "fixed it".....

I'd talk to them, see what they say and go from there. But, IMO, until the wall is fully inspected, the mold issue resolved and any wet insulation is dried or replaced, you're not going to have a "secure rear wall that won't leak again".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:11 AM   #5
Scott d

Thank you. If u send me contact info I'll send u pictures of inside and outside.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:40 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Post the photos on here, everyone can benefit from your experiences that way...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:37 PM   #7
Scott d

I hv no clue how to post on here
Old 07-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott d View Post
I hv no clue how to post on here
Here you go:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=7518

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote