Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #21
Joe1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You have 120 volts AC(alternating voltage), and when you connect to any load, lights, A/C, or anything else, that is when you have Current being used, which is measured in Amps (amperage). You must have at least sufficient power available, and this is the circuit must be large enough, 20 amps, 30 amps, or whatever loads you want to run, plus your CORD, which is the cable you connect your trailer to the electric outlet, has to have wires large enough to carry the current. You can not use a small extension cord to supply heavy amperage load to things such as your air conditioner because it’s like using a tiny tube trying to supply a large volume of water when you really need a large hose or pipe. You will burn up the cord or the appliance because the tiny wire creates too much resistance which won’t allow enough power to get to the appliance.
Yes. As I am learning. Luckily, it looks like everything is functioning correctly and that the breaker on the house outlet tripped early on.
Joe1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:15 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Joe, please don't take thie as criticism but I have 2 suggestions for you. First get an electrician to install a 30 amp RV outlet before using the trailer. You are flirting with disaster by using an extension cord in-between a 15 amp outlet and the trailer.

Second suggestion, take this experience as a learning experience. Do some reading on basic electricity and basic electrical wiring. I recommend purchasing books, they typically go deeper provide more information.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:23 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Joe, please don't take thie as criticism but I have 2 suggestions for you. First get an electrician to install a 30 amp RV outlet before using the trailer. You are flirting with disaster by using an extension cord in-between a 15 amp outlet and the trailer.

Second suggestion, take this experience as a learning experience. Do some reading on basic electricity and basic electrical wiring. I recommend purchasing books, they typically go deeper provide more information.
Has it been mentioned how far the camper is from the outlet? Won't do much good to install a 30A RV outlet on the side of the house and have a 100' extension cord being used.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:48 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1969 View Post
I am trying to trouble shoot my domestic air condition system.

I have a 2022 Keystone Ridgeline, 27-foot.

While connected to electric power from my house this morning, the ac ran fine.

I went in this afternoon and it will not turn back on. The thermostat is on and set to a temp well below the air temp. It is 100 in the trailer and the thermostat is set at 65.

I am starting with the circuit breakers. How can I tell if they are on or off? They do not have any “on” or “off” on them.

I am starting there and then trying to determine what the next step might be.

Any help is appreciated.

It might be worth noting that no matter what direction the breakers are pointed, all other power and alliances run, with the exception of the AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Has it been mentioned how far the camper is from the outlet? Won't do much good to install a 30A RV outlet on the side of the house and have a 100' extension cord being used.
I would hope a licensed electrician would take that into consideration. If they don't at least ask what is its intended use then they shouldn't be in the buisness.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:36 AM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

I will 2nd this. If you don't understand when someone says "110" you really need to do some studying. I went to US Navy Electronic Tech school 50 years ago but a lot of that fine education has been lost to memory. I try not to get over my skis and will quickly refer to my 2 subject matter experts...my son, who is an Instrument & Control Tech and my son in law who is an Electrical Engineer with his PE and is working on his Master's EE degree.
When I get confused, which is getting more often, I don't hesitate to ask for help.
That said, I will run 50ft of extension cord (12/3 size) to charge my RV batteries. I will also run 1 15,000BTU A/C off a 20amp outlet with about a 25ft extension. Only issue I have is using an exterior outlet that is GFI, sometimes it works, most times not.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #26
Joe1969

I didn’t take it as such, I found it helpful. My wife and I are learning that there is a lot to learn when it comes to RVing, which sales does not mention when you make your purchase. We are loving it, but just trying to figure out how to improve the experience.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I didn’t take it as such, I found it helpful. My wife and I are learning that there is a lot to learn when it comes to RVing, which sales does not mention when you make your purchase. We are loving it, but just trying to figure out how to improve the experience.

Joe just hang in there. RVs are an "animal" unto themselves with systems and gadgets you don't find in anything else. If inexperienced in any one, or a number, of technologies it is a big hill to climb but doesn't require a lot other than time and a willingness to learn. If you have the time just read the posts with questions from everything from trucks, to tires, to loading, to airconditioners/heating, to bedding, suspensions....you name it. Read all you can and ask if you don't find what you need. Everyone is willing to help with the goal of you and yours having a fun, safe time in your RV.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:56 AM   #28
Gkri

Quote:
Yes. As I am learning. Luckily, it looks like everything is functioning correctly and that the breaker on the house outlet tripped early on.
Joe - circuit breakers (CB's) work on time vs. current basis. A very high amp draw over the breaker rating will trip the breaker very fast. Amp (current) draw just slightly over the rating will take a much longer time for the breaker to trip. Curves are published that show how long it takes to trip vs. the current being pulled through a certain size breaker. Your RV A/C, plus line losses in the wire to the outlet, extension cord, and RV cord put you over the CB rating and also lowered the voltage at the A/C unit which in turn required more current. This is one reason you should always use a quality EMS unit, even at home.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:12 AM   #29
Todd 423

This had to be a joke.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #30
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd 423 View Post
This had to be a joke.
In retrospect, I was thinking the same thing. But then everyone has their own skill set(s).
Old 06-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd 423 View Post
This had to be a joke.
I have been working in this industry for over 10 years, and have owned a fifth wheel since 1989. In my years of travels and working, I have met thousands of people who own an RV. I have also worked on autos on the side for over 45 years.

I have found the knowledge base of people runs the gamut of a literal know nothing to a truly know it all, with somewhere in the middle being the norm.

That said, I don’t think it was a joke, but more an honest and ernest request for help. A vast majority of members here are happy to reach out and offer help no matter what the knowledge base of the person asking. Remember the only dumb question is the one NOT ASKED.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #32
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have been working in this industry for over 10 years, and have owned a fifth wheel since 1989. In my years of travels and working, I have met thousands of people who own an RV. I have also worked on autos on the side for over 45 years.

I have found the knowledge base of people runs the gamut of a literal know nothing to a truly know it all, with somewhere in the middle being the norm.

That said, I don’t think it was a joke, but more an honest and ernest request for help. A vast majority of members here are happy to reach out and offer help no matter what the knowledge base of the person asking. Remember the only dumb question is the one NOT ASKED.
Which is exactly why I offered an honest answer, even if it could be someone pulling our leg.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #33
Joe1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
Which is exactly why I offered an honest answer, even if it could be someone pulling our leg.
Appreciate the help. Not a joke. I am not ashamed to say that electrical is beyond my area of expertise, so the responses were all well received. I am hopeful that this doesn’t turn into an attack forum, as I am finding it helpful.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #34
Gkri

Quote:
Appreciate the help. Not a joke. I am not ashamed to say that electrical is beyond my area of expertise, so the responses were all well received. I am hopeful that this doesn’t turn into an attack forum, as I am finding it helpful.
Joe - we all learned from asking questions and doing. No shame at all in admitting our weak areas. A former boss told me to take my weal area and make it my strength. It has served me well. I can now re-wire a house but there are so many other things that confuse me beyond comprehension. Keep asking and learning.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

I can assure you it’s not an attack forum, and community rules prohibit it. As one of the moderators here, I can speak for all of us and say it is usually dealt with swiftly when discovered. I will admit that even thought I spend 40hrs/week working on these wonderful things, after all my years I’m still learning. Stick around, let’s all learn some more-knowledge is power!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:56 PM   #36
MotownJG

When at home, I ran my 2008 Copper Canyon to a 60 amp subpanel in my garage using a 20 amp circuit and appropriate gauge extension cord. I could run the AC in my 5th wheel just fine. Mostly.

Then my sister and BIL gave us their old freezer that I promptly put in the garage and plugged into the 60 amp subpanel. Whenever the freezer kicked on (BIG amp draw) it would kick the breaker on the subpanel associated with the RV.

I have not (so far) installed a separate 30-amp home-run to the electrical main panel for just my RV. Bottom line, it's not always just an RV circuit breaker - can be in your house/garage as well. If you want people staying over in your RV during hot weather, you'll have to get a separate 30 amp receptacle or use your generator like you know already.

And I learned a TON by asking questions on this forum.
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakers