Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2022, 01:20 PM   #1
wegone

Can you help?

My buddy is trying to find out how much he can tow with his truck.
It's a 2015 F-150 4x4 supercrew with the 3.5 motor.

He says its the eco boost, but I thought they came with a heavier GVWR than whats on the sticker?

He was pulling his 23 foot travel trailer at 6k and he said he had to take it out of tow/haul going down a slight grade as it rev'd the engine really high.
Its a 6 speed with the 3.53 tranny I think....

Any help I can pass on would help...thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jays vin-studio.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	844.7 KB
ID:	39970  
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Can he provide a pic of the payload sticker? What trim does he have on that truck? I ask because of the very short/low 55 profile tires. Those aren't good for towing. I have the 60 profile and don't like them at all. The low profiles don't have much room to compress so have to be hard. He will also have P rated passenger car tires.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
travelin texans

The weight issue is not how much that truck can "tow/pull" but how much can it "carry"? There's a reason the max tow rating isn't listed on that tag with all the other weights, it's because that truck will exceed the payload long before "towing" that truck manufacturers advertised weight. Truck manufacturers arrive at their advertised max tow ratings using low profile utility type trailers with the loads placed directly over the axles, absolutely no comparison to towing tall broadside wind catching rvs where most of the load is fixed.
Post the yellow/white tag of that truck, each truck is different, along with the year, make, model & GVWR posted on the tag on the drivers side front corner of that rv for much better calculations of that trucks abilities.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
wegone

Ok, I'll see what I can get from him....
I am leaving AM tomorrow for my first rip of the year

That sticker with the says his GVWR is 7050 LBS, the curb weight from what I have been seeing is around 4.5 to 5k

The axle loads just seem light to me as well, but again, all these numbers give me a headache.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:14 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

You need the cargo sticker to know capacity. For reference, I recently traded my 2015 F150, but it was set up for max towing as a factory option. After aftermarket upgrades I was comfortable towing my trailer, but we need more information from your friend.

Based on the sticker you posted, he has 20” wheels, a 157” wheelbase (long bed), 3.5L twin turbo V6, Crew Cab 4x4, and a 3:55 axle ratio, but that’s all we know.

As far as the engine revs going down a hill, it is perfectly normal for that 6 speed transmission in tow/haul mode and is intended to use the powertrain to keep downhill speed under control instead of smoking the brakes. I think redline is like 6500 rpm and as bad as it sounded it never got close. My wife would freak out when it happened so I would typically use SelectShift and manually run the gears in hilly areas. The whine from the passenger side front seat is worse than any sound the truck made.

Added: my issue was NEVER towing power, that set-up is more than enough for towing. What he HAS to be concerned about is cargo capacity and handling performance with the inherently soft and squishy suspension designed for ride comfort and little else.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:26 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds to me like your buddy is considering a larger trailer. The only way he KNOW is to load the truck up as if he was going camping and run over a scale. Subtract the scale weight from the 7,050 lb. GVW and that's the AVAILABLE payload. Anything else is just guessing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:08 PM   #7
Balvar24

Tow /haul mode utilizes engine braking, thus high rpm's.

2015 models could be had with both EcoBoost and naturally aspirated 3.5's.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote