Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
Nankipoo

Slide Topper Fabric

Not sure if I got the link to work. They have this fabric for sale at a decent price. If I measured my slides right it will do all 4. Wondering if anyone has ever used this.

Doesn't appear link working. Guess I haven't figured that out yet.

Universal Slide-Topper Replacement Cut-to-Fit Fabric for 5th Wheel RVs, Travel Trailers and Motorhomes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8S43VY...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Nankipoo

Here is a pic of it in case the link is not working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211202-200713_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	37351  
Old 12-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It should work well for either Dometic, Solara or Carefree awnings...

A word of "caution" about the gimp (cord in the end that slides into the awning rail)... Most slide covers and awnings have 2 or 3 inches of excess gimp at each end. If you cut the fabric "to fit exactly" then you won't have any gimp to pull the fabric through the awning rail slot and may have some issues securing the fabric in place. So, you may wind up cutting the fabric 2 or 3 inches too long, then cutting it again to the proper length and trimming the excess away from the gimp so you have that "cord to pull".... Think it through before you cut all of them and then "find out there is no gimp to pull"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

A word of "caution" about the gimp (cord in the end that slides into the awning rail)... Most slide covers and awnings have 2 or 3 inches of excess gimp at each end. If you cut the fabric "to fit exactly" then you won't have any gimp to pull the fabric through the awning rail slot and may have some issues securing the fabric in place. So, you may wind up cutting the fabric 2 or 3 inches too long, then cutting it again to the proper length and trimming the excess away from the gimp so you have that "cord to pull".... Think it through before you cut all of them and then "find out there is no gimp to pull"....
We have always just cut to length, and re use the small screw in the rail to “set” the fabric.

There is an easy way to replace the fabric without removing the whole thing from the trailer, just unwind it and pin it so the gimp in the tube is UP. Slide the old off, slide the new on. Hold the tube and pull the pin. It will wind up and have the original tension. BE SURE you have a good grip on the tube and wind it up SLOW.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Hadn't thought about that. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We have always just cut to length, and re use the small screw in the rail to “set” the fabric.

There is an easy way to replace the fabric without removing the whole thing from the trailer, just unwind it and pin it so the gimp in the tube is UP. Slide the old off, slide the new on. Hold the tube and pull the pin. It will wind up and have the original tension. BE SURE you have a good grip on the tube and wind it up SLOW.
When we decide to try this after Christmas we are going need all the advice we can get.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Feel free to PM me. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve done

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Feel free to PM me. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve done
Will do before I start. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
BookPaul74

I was lazy and didn't have the time on the Alfa. But I've a lot of his videos and they are full of tips. Here's two about the topper fabric replacement.

https://youtu.be/9rDbzNI6Bok

https://youtu.be/cmBKcy-x2cE

My new to me Cougar doesn't have them.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide