Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2021, 05:26 AM   #1
raybo

roof maintenance

Hey Guys

I have a 2005 outland sydney 5th wheel and cannot get a straight answer from a local parts place about how I refinish my roof. I am not near the unit now so cannot look at the manual but plan to visit on the weekend and want to know what is safe to use on the "rubberish" material on the RV. Anybody have knowledge of these units? Thx
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:43 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your roof membrane is most likely EDPM. You can clean it with most mild cleaners, some use simple green. Dicor makes a cleaner specifically formulated for that type of roof. After you wash it, take real close look at all the seams and make sure the lap sealant doesn’t have any voids. If it does you can apply Dicor self leveling sealant to seal them, Make sure the roof is dry before. UV protection is needed these days, again Dicor makes a product specifically for that, some people use AeroSpace 303.

Hope this helps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Lee

What Chuckste57 said 100%!!!!!!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your roof membrane is most likely EDPM. You can clean it with most mild cleaners, some use simple green. Dicor makes a cleaner specifically formulated for that type of roof. After you wash it, take real close look at all the seams and make sure the lap sealant doesn’t have any voids. If it does you can apply Dicor self leveling sealant to seal them, Make sure the roof is dry before. UV protection is needed these days, again Dicor makes a product specifically for that, some people use AeroSpace 303.

Hope this helps.

Piggy back Chucks reply ...... in case the OP does not know what lap sealant is .....

Amazon has it well priced - made by Dicor. These are the HARD blobs all over your seams. Both ends and around the vents.

You put it on with a standard gun and you do NOT have to rub it with your finger like other caulking. It "Self Levels". It also expands "flat" as it settles.

You need to clean the original Lap sealant properly first so it will bind to it. Dicor has instructions. Mineral Spirts/paint thinner is recommended.

Clean 1 day and apply the next. You will likely notice some spots missed by Keystone.

Last week I did my large 5th wheel and I used 1 full tube. I purchased 4 tubes for 50 bucks - Amazon.

The lap takes a long time to dry FYI. Wait for no rain in forecast.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

FYI: The roof may have some black on it; this is the black color of the EPDM showing through the white that was originally on it. Scrubbing it will make the black show more. Dicor make sealant that you need to cover your seams with after cleaning them. Don't bother try and remove the old stuff unless it is falling off. Use self leveling Dicor on the top of the roof but on the side edges use NON self leveling as it won't run. This stuff goes on like caulk with a caulk gun. All penetrations on the roof will have Dicor that must be checked for cracks of pealing and must be resealed regularly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
raybo

Thanks guys..I appreciate the info...
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roof