Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
Doublej

2021 Cougar 368MBI Electric Heat

We just bought a 2021 Cougar 368MBI. The dealer said the rear AC was also a heater unit too. This is our very first trailer and trying to figure everything out. Does the rear AC unit also do hear or do I only Jane the Gas as my only heat source, aside from the fireplace of course.
Doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

In reading the description of the 368mbi it shows a 15k AC standard and 13.5 optional for the 2nd AC. Neither show to have a heat pump option and a heat pump isn't listed anywhere in the description as an option. That would leave the 35k furnace and fireplace as your factory heat options. I don't know what the sales guy was talking about, if he was confused with another type of unit that had a heat pump OR yours has a heat pump and Keystone doesn't list it as an option (I figure you don't). My neighbor that pulled in day before yesterday has a 2021 Cougar and we've been discussing his furnace operation vs my heat pump. He said the heat pump wasn't an option for him (bought in MN).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure what "rear heater" you're asking about.

There are some trailers that have a rear rooftop air conditioner/heat pump. It's normally tied into the In-Command system (on newer trailers) and is controlled by that system. On older trailers it can be connected to a separate thermostat or controlled by temperature sensors located throughout the trailer and controlled by a central thermostat.

The "other system" is a "heat strip" installed in the rooftop air conditioner. That system has a small "1500 watt loop heater" mounted in the return air box (in the ceiling). As you can imagine, "sucking cool air into the rooftop air conditioner and supplementing that by adding 4500 BTU's of heat that's subsequently "cooled" as it passes through the rooftop unit, along the ceiling ductwork and into the trailer using "fast moving air" is not a very efficient way to "heat the trailer"...

Essentially, if you have a "heat pump" you'll feel warm air at the ceiling registers, if you have a "heat strip" mounted inside your rear air conditioner, you probably won't feel any temperature difference at the registers.

Finally, for me, the "add on heat strip" is woefully inadequate to provide "noticeable heat" to any RV. It can make a difference on "cool evenings" but simply can't produce enough heat to keep the RV comfortable in "cold" temperatures.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
spicercars

Does the rear AC unit also do hear or do I only Jane the Gas as my only heat source, aside from the fireplace of course???

do hear or do I only Jane the Gas??

Not sure what this means?
Old 02-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
Does the rear AC unit also do hear or do I only Jane the Gas as my only heat source, aside from the fireplace of course???

do hear or do I only Jane the Gas??

Not sure what this means?

"also do HEAT or do I only HAVE the gas as my only heat source......" ?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, heat