Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2020, 04:37 AM   #1
HIGH COUNTRY RV'ER

Summer Trip Issues- AC leak

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and have lived in RVs for short times, but now trying out the camping experience.

I had a few issues this last time out. First the autolevel system did not work right, due to a battery drain issue. I understand to make sure to disconnect the negative cable to alleviate any stereo or other smaller drain issues on the battery since it is in storage a few months at a time. THe service tech said it needed a new control panel, but we followed the instructions from LPI to reset the system and it worked when we packed it up for storage on the last day. Im hoping it was just a battery drain issue on setup and next time will let it recharge before trying to autolevel. The slides also didn't go out initially so I think this was related to the battery as well. On the 2019 Montana High Country, I got it used but the AC is leaking and I have seen some posts about the AC not being installed in the correct location, seals/gaskets not done correctly and the bolts at the top not sealed, as well as the cover from Dometic lets water in from the overlapping seals. THe roof was already sagging with lots of water coming out the vents, so very frustrated with this situation. Im hopeful it will be fixed by Camping World and covered since it was a manufacturer error. ANy other opinions or news on this AC issue from Keystone. Any advice on how to make sure its fixed would also be helpful. The tech said it was caused by rain getting in the AC since it was installed incorrectly. Also, there was wood chips all over the coils, so it looks like it might have been redone or just poor quality when it was installed. The wood chips were also inside the unit when we looked at first at Camping World, so maybe it was redone incorrectly or something and then messed up again. Any advice on how to make sure its done correctly this time would be great, as I know leaks are bad, especially on a big purchase like this. Mom has asthma so I don't want any mold in there and maybe they have to replace the insulation and ceiling panel, so not sure at this point, but I will update the thread when I talk to the service department. Hopeful for a good resolution and that the fix will be fully covered.
HIGH COUNTRY RV'ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of the issues. I'm worried you are looking at a sizeable repair by your description. When did you buy that and from whom? Camping World? Realize that any warranty they may have given you won't be for long and the roof probably has some disclaimers. I would be on the phone with them yesterday.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:55 AM   #3
dadnjesse

Sorry for your troubles, that's probably why the previous owner go rid of it.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
HIGH COUNTRY RV'ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of the issues. I'm worried you are looking at a sizeable repair by your description. When did you buy that and from whom? Camping World? Realize that any warranty they may have given you won't be for long and the roof probably has some disclaimers. I would be on the phone with them yesterday.

I have been on the phone and still waiting for some call backs to get the ball rolling on this repair. I know leaks are no good and yes expensive repairs possible so called camping world corporate and will also call Keystone and the Dometic company. It is a 2019 unit, so I imagine there should be some warranties still valid. We have the ESP warranty through Goodsam as well.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH COUNTRY RV'ER View Post
I have been on the phone and still waiting for some call backs to get the ball rolling on this repair. I know leaks are no good and yes expensive repairs possible so called camping world corporate and will also call Keystone and the Dometic company. It is a 2019 unit, so I imagine there should be some warranties still valid. We have the ESP warranty through Goodsam as well.
Email them as well with the options of return receipt, return read options on and cc yourself. This will give you a "paper trail" of when they were notified. Otherwise placing phone calls and leaving voice mails end up being a n"he said she said" issue.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
HIGH COUNTRY RV'ER

Thanks, we have contacted corporate via an email form, so I'm trying to get emails so it can be documented properly as suggested.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I would get hold of you Good Sam extended warranty as well. Even if CW gave you some sort of warranty the roof is only warranted 90 days when purchased new then the maintenance, responsibility falls to the owner. If you bought used I'm sure you don't have any record of roof maintenance prior to your ownership. The 3 year structural warranty will not apply to a leaking roof. I think it will boil down to what CW told you and what you have in writing from the purchase; it could be a very hard, uphill, costly situation. I wish you the best and let us know. We may be able to help once you get the lay of the land from the various parties.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

I have been on this forum for awhile and Camping World and Gander have received some good and some bad reviews. Document everything as Camping World is Keystone's BIGGEST sales outlet I believe. That being the case, having Camping World in your court would be helpful if this is a Keystone manufacturing error. An A/C install isn't rocket science as far as the upper unit goes. Set gasket in places around the hole and set the unit in on top of it and put the four long studs through and tighten so the unit stays secure on the roof. If you have problems otherwise, sounds like the A/C manufacturer (Dometic?) might be responsible so you could have a situation where the dealer points its finger at Keystone which points its finger at Dometic, etc. so as suggested DOCUMENT and confirm receipt in a verifiable manner of all correspondence.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak