Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
MEGrimm

RV Stairs and Safety

The fold out steps on our new Laredo 5th wheel are high and steep. The grab rail handle that is standard on almost all trailers only provided a sense of security when standing in the doorway or on the top step. Little people camping with us couldn't reach the handle from the bottom of the steps and had to let go part way down. Both the very young and the somewhat more senior members of the family needed something better. We found our solution in a product with the unlikely name of "RV Glow Guide" by Torklift. The Glow Guide is a very well designed safety rail that can be added to trailers and campers. It can replace the factory provided grab rail but we opted to retain the grab rail to use when entering the trailer at fuel stops and other short breaks enroute. Once we arrive at our camp site we fold the grab rail out of the way back against the side of the trailer and fold out the Glow Guide. The Guide stores in place when not in use and is set up in about two minutes when needed. It is a very stable hand rail system and it even glows in the dark to assist with using the stairs in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stowed for Travel.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready to Use.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	729  
MEGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
antiqfreq

You would think as a 'seasoned rv'er' that I would know better but in November of 2009, I was heading out the door of the camper at about 5:30 AM, still dark and carrying my little 11 pound senior puppy. I had a bowl of cereal in one hand and the dog in the other......

Needless to say the steps were wet with dew and down I went throwing the doggie out of the way. In the process I broke my big toe in 5 places, the second toe in 3 places and the middle toe in 2 places.

To top it ALL off, the NASCAR Homestead race was the very next day and I missed it!

(Insult to misery is all I can say about my day!)

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
mustang94

Thumbs up Great..

This looks cool... I have a friend that goes out with us at times that has a bad hip... This would work great for her...

Don Williams
Killeen Texas
2012 F250 4x4
2013 333 MKS Cougar
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
mustang94

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiqfreq View Post
Needless to say the steps were wet with dew and down I went throwing the doggie out of the way. In the process I broke my big toe in 5 places, the second toe in 3 places and the middle toe in 2 places.

Dam that sucks... did you have carpet on the steps?

Don Williams
Killeen Texas
2012 F250 4x4
2013 333 MKS Cougar
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
MEGrimm

I have two artificial knees and I am a bit less steady now than before the surgery. My doctor has said that this problem will be with me to some degree from now on. The railing really has made using the stairs much more comfortable.
MEGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
antiqfreq

I had carpet on the steps but in So. FL where it rains all the time and the humidity is high and me NOT paying to attention and it being very dark....
down she goes!

I am recovered now except for the big toe which is a little stiff still and is great as predicting the weather.....

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
LT. A.J.D.

Wink RV Stair Replacement Upgrade

Stairs, grab-rails, etc. can prove to be significant safety hazards as evidenced by many of the comments on this thread. Our Raptor 3712 is among larger units which seem to be getting a little higher off the ground with each new design. The total drop from entry floor to the ground as well as the angle of the stairs and the "abnormal rise" between stairs can be problematic. After the DW fractured an ankle coming down the front entry stairs, I started looking for a solution. A rubber-suit similar to the one worn by the the Michelein Tire guy did not meet the fashion requirments of the DW.

Elkhart Tool & Die in Elkart, Indiana makes replacement stairs to fit most RV units. We purchased their Quadra-Step (a four step unit vs. the factory 3 steps) With a rise of approximately 7-inches between stairs, the stair assembly is much closer to a normal residential step and easier to ascend and descend. The unit is 27" x 12-3/16" x 15-3/4" and bolted right into the camper stairwell box. The company pre-drilled all mounting holes on either side of the mounting bracket with extra holes drilled to facilitate height and depth adjustement. This allows the stair unit to fit many campers. Two hour installation doing it myself. A second person to assist in steadying stairs while bolts were put in place would have made the process a little quicker. Hardest part is getting wrenches in place to loosen the old mounting bolts and tightenup the new ones.The Quadra-step is heavy-duty and well constructed. The company website shows a photo and a detailed diagram of the stair unit with dimensions so you can pretty much ensure it will fit your unit before purchase. A web search for Elkhart Tool & Die Co. will locate their website.

Last time I checked (April 2011) the Quadra-Step could be purchased directlyfrom the manufacturer for $224.84 plus shipping. Thinking about adding a second Quadra-Step to the rear entry door this year.

LT. A.J.D.
LT. A.J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote