Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
jddually

Cougar 337FLS-HC Kitchen Slide Pulley

I will start by saying we love the layout of the 337FLS with the front living room. It offered what we wanted without going to a 40'+ unit to get the front living room in a fifth wheel.
Now, I was always leery of Keystone, Fleetwood, or any of the other large manufacturers that make a ton of different lines of RVs. Prior to this Cougar we had Jayco (back when that was all they made) and growing up, Coachman (which also only made Coachman back then).
There are some things in my new rig that I shake my head at thinking that my Jayco, that was 13yrs older, seemed to have perfected even back then.
Nonetheless, my issue is with the cable operated kitchen slide. It has always worked flawlessly and has only been in and out probably 8 times total since we have owned it. I noticed on a trip earlier this month that the top right bracket where the cable pulley is mounted is pulling away from the wall at the top of the bracket. To be honest, I don't know how long it has been this way, but it is still not right.
Our unit is a 2015, but we purchased it in the fall of 2014, which means that our awesome 1 year warranty period is up. I contacted the dealer where we purchased it and had a hard time getting any correspondence from one of the service writers. After sending numerous pictures of the pulley and emailing the service person several times, I finally got an email late one evening that Keystone had denied the request for repairs, so when could they schedule a service appointment for the repairs. Really? Never once did she call or make an attempt to discuss with me the issue at hand.
From everything I have read on the slide outs, they are designed to be "maintenance free for life". The pulleys have permanently sealed, greased bearings that should never wear out since they are "only there to redirect the cable". I don't know what kind of tension the pulley is under, but all of the literature states that barring improper installation or structural flaws, there should never be an issue with this slide out.
I don't know if the lags were over-tightened and started to strip out the wood framing when initially installed or if it is just not aligned right, but I don't feel that this is a "lack of maintenance" issue, rather more of an assembly or structural issue.
I have an email in to Keystone, but have not heard back. I am hoping that our first venture into one of the "mass produced" RV companies is not something we regret.
Hopefully all goes well, as I said, overall we really like our new rig and love the floor plan.
Hoping this is not a common issue with these cable operated slides.

2015 Cougar 337FLS High Country
2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins CC DRW 4x4
jddually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a recall on the NORCO slide bracket that may affect your Cougar. You can read the recall at this Keystone link: http://www.keystonerv.com/media/2226...cket_-_web.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
jddually

Thank you for the info, John!

Jeff

Old 07-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
jddually

Unfortunately it doesn't look like my VIN falls under that recall, but it sure is suspect of lag screws pulling out of the RV wood framing!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
dcg9381

IMHO - Keystone hasn't replied to the vast majority of my email queries. You may have more luck calling.

I think the best way to make a warranty claim is with your dealers assistance - they simply don't seem to want to take word of mouth on anything. If the dealer documents "improperly installed pulley" you can ask Keystone for a "courtesy" service.

Note, it's likely the dealer makes more money on it by charging you for the repair than by getting Keystone to warranty it, so that's another factor.

If possible, I'd pull it, I tend to use a combination of epoxy fiber and filler to "reset" a surface that I'm going to re-drill and then re-mount the screws. I'm not sure, however, if those lag screws are into a metal frame, which may be the case.

Also check your pulley alignment. My cables are running against the jamb-clamp and at least one mounting location on the outside is a good 1" below where it should be - these can be adjusted.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote