Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #21
mfifield01

It would just be standalone, not incorporated. I would use it to drain the bath water into the toilet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #22
tommy_z

Were you planning to wait until the grey tank overflows into the tub? Or maybe put the plug in the tub to shower and then pump it out?
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #23
hankaye

mfifield01, Howdy;

Have you considered looking into a filter for your excess Gray water?
They can be as small and simple as a 5 gal. bucket.
http://web.mit.edu/watsan/Docs/Stude...%205-21-09.pdf
Scroll down to page 24, These were intended to filter to drinking water standards
and they work slowly so be careful when using a large amount in a short time.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #24
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_z View Post
Were you planning to wait until the grey tank overflows into the tub? Or maybe put the plug in the tub to shower and then pump it out?
My goal is to alleviate some of the gray water. After the kids take a bath (and it's plugged), I would dump that water into the toilet. The shower and kitchen water would just go into the gray tank.

I do have an 11 gallon tote tank. I wish it was bigger, but it's convenient for a few reasons. When full, it's about as big as you can lift and put in the truck bed. It fits in the rear storage area with room for other needed hoses. I can dump it in an outhouse if needed. The negative is that you need to make additional runs to the dump station.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #25
darrylwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Typically, the black tank is never full when I camp. I usually fill it up with the black flush inlet before going to dump. On the other hand, we can fill the 30 gallon gray tank up quickly. Usually 1.5 days when the kids take a bath and we take showers. My idea is to pump the kid's bath water into the toilet. I could probably get an extra 20 gallons and the black tank needs to get filled anyways. Any thoughts or ideas?

BTW - I do have a small tote tank, just looking for less trips to the dump station.
To me it sounds like a great idea what you have in mind plus it will help flushing out your black tank.
I do a lot of camping on Archery ranges/ private land so we can dump it on the ground but I am from old school and I won't dump it on the ground unless I filter on the way out but I do camp on a friends ranch in the middle of the desert and he lets his friends dump it there but I still save it to clean out my hose after dumping the black water.
with 5" exhaust system
2015 Keystone Montana HC 305RL
650 Watt Solar panels, 4 6volt T-105
Go power 3000 inverter.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #26
tommy_z

mfifield01, I understand better now. You have little kids, and actually use your bath tub. The bilge pump will work great for pumping straight to the toilet. Just need a 12V outlet in your vanity and you're set.

Great idea, I think you've inspired a bunch of us.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:11 AM   #27
mikell

I have a 5 gallon bucket with a garden type hose that screws on the outlet cover . Leave the grey water valve open.

I usually have to dig down a bit to put the bucket under the outlet. When we leave I close the valve pull out the bucket and put it in a garbage bag till the next camp spot.

6 1/4" holes in the bottom of bucket keeps it lite to handle and stow.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #28
mfifield01

After this weekend, I'm thinking that this may be a bad idea. We scooped bath water and shower water into the toilet. It filled up. I'm not sure how, but on the last day I could see water 6" from the toilet seal. Not a good feeling.

I checked the level indicator, but haven't really believed it in the past. The black shows 1/3 when empty and 2/3 very quickly.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:54 AM   #29
rjsurfer

If all your dump lines terminate at one point put another slide valve at that point. Then if that valve is closed and you open both the grey and black tanks they will equalize. Of course make sure the grey tank your want lowered is more full than the black.

Sometimes I open both grey valves and the black at the same time to truely equalize the tanks, this usually gives me another few days before dumping.

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
If all your dump lines terminate at one point put another slide valve at that point. Then if that valve is closed and you open both the grey and black tanks they will equalize. Of course make sure the grey tank your want lowered is more full than the black.

Sometimes I open both grey valves and the black at the same time to truely equalize the tanks, this usually gives me another few days before dumping.

Ron W
The only "problem" with equalizing tanks and "including the black tank" is the plumbing. If you look under your trailer, you'll see that the black tank is plumbed with 3" PVC pipe and a 3" valve. Almost all gray tanks and gray plumbing is done with 1.5" PVC pipe and 1.5" valves. You may find that equalizing the black tank allows "things" to flow into the gray tank that won't flow back through the 1.5" plumbing lines as easily. Additionally, there's no "flush line" for the gray tanks and once they're contaminated, not nearly as easy to flush to remove odors and "chunks".... There's a reason why the black tank uses plumbing and valves that are "twice as big" as the gray tanks...

Be very cautious about equalizing the black tank by opening valves, it can cause problems "down the line".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post

Ron W
The only "problem" with equalizing tanks and "including the black tank" is the plumbing. If you look under your trailer, you'll see that the black tank is plumbed with 3" PVC pipe and a 3" valve. Almost all gray tanks and gray plumbing is done with 1.5" PVC pipe and 1.5" valves. You may find that equalizing the black tank allows "things" to flow into the gray tank that won't flow back through the 1.5" plumbing lines as easily. Additionally, there's no "flush line" for the gray tanks and once they're contaminated, not nearly as easy to flush to remove odors and "chunks".... There's a reason why the black tank uses plumbing and valves that are "twice as big" as the gray tanks...

Be very cautious about equalizing the black tank by opening valves, it can cause problems "down the line".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #32
mfifield01

I thought about equalizing when the black tank almost overflowed. For the reasons listed above, I decided it wasn't a great idea. I didn't really want any contamination of the gray tank. Down the road, I'll probably get a larger tote tank. Just need to figure out where to store it (don't want to put it in the truck bed).
Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Several members who have installed the BAL underframe spare tire rack. A couple of them have adapted the "empty space" alongside the spare tire on their rack to carry their "tote tank". Do a forum search, and if you can't find their posts, let me know and I'll try to locate them for you. Their posts may give you some ideas...

Here's the BAL underframe spare tire carrier: http://norcoind.com/bal/products/con...-a-spare.shtml
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #34
theeyres

Back to the OP's question...there is nothing wrong in dumping gray water into the black tank. While we never did it with bath water (only had showers) we used to always use a tub in the sink and dump all the sink water into the toilet to make the gray water tank last longer. Dump away!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote