Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Western Traveler

Mice, weird thing happened.

Finding mice wasn't surprising considering where we have been camped this summer but the circumstances are strange.
I had inspected the underbelly etc when new, added dryer sheets and cut up a couple of flea collars as deterrents.
While dry camped in Montana at daybreak a couple of mornings when all was quiet I thought I heard tiny squeaks but thought it was a couple of the many small birds around our trailer.
Soon after I found a dead mouse about 50 feet from the trailer in some fire wood.
a few days later I smelled that sweet smell of dead mice and on opening my woolen drawer found the culprits, three dead and a pile of De-con in their nest of my chewed up wool clothes.
I did not put out De-con and my closest neighbor was 1/4 mile away!
Threw out most of my beloved gloves, hats and shirts and cleaned up with bleach and water. Searched everywhere I could get to but couldn't find any other evidence of bait or mice, just under the sink and the back of the drawers that are open to that area.
Where did the De-con come from? Does Keystone put it in the underbelly when storing them at the factory? Mine came from their West Coast factory and was delivered shortly after building.
Going to use Fresh Cab when I get to a place we can buy some, and no evidence of mice since.
I would rather put up with the smell of dead mice than try to deal with traps if there was another breach so will but out bait myself unless others think that is ill advised.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
jsmith948

I have always thought that the D-Con bait worked well because, supposedly, the bait makes them thirsty and they leave in search of water instead of dying in a wall somewhere. Obviously that is not what happened in your case. We live in a rural setting and mice are always a problem. As the weather cools, we put out several traps and check them often. There is always an open tray of D-Con in the out buildings and the garage.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:00 AM   #3
GT2400BH

why Fresh Cab works for some and not for others

I got this from another site but I thought the information was great. So i am going to share. I am just going to copy and paste it.

"For those who are interested, I wrote the company and sent them the picture, and asked why Fresh Cab works for some and not for others. Here was their response. "Fresh Cab works by covering up the scent trails that mice leave behind. Since mice have very poor eye sight they rely mainly on their sense of smell. When they enter an area where Fresh Cab is placed, the lack of familiarity of the area is what causes them to leave the area. Since mice are creatures of habit, they commonly revisit the areas where they have been prior. During this time, it is possible to still see droppings and/or other signs (chewing) of the rodents as they revisit the area. If the scent has diminished from the pouch, it does have the potential to become a source of food/bedding as the product is made up of corn cob chips and essential oils.

It is very important that enough pouches are used in the area that are prone to mice. We recommend 1 pouch per 8 square feet if you know mice are present and 1 pouch per 125 square feet for preventative purposes once the mice have left. You certainly cannot use too many pouches. If you really want to overwhelm them and drive them out you could even double up on the pouches.

It is suggested that the pouches remain in the area for at least 10 days and that baits, traps, or poisons are not used alongside Fresh Cab since the two products work against each other. Fresh Cab repels mice and baits or poisons invite them to come back. Once there are no evidence of rodents, many of our customers continue to use Fresh Cab to prevent any further infestations. I've also included a couple of attachments that I'll hope you'll find helpful when it comes to using Fresh Cab.

Unfortunately, since you purchased Fresh Cab through Amazon, we cannot refund your money. You will have to go through Amazon to get the refund. We only refund money if the product is bought directly from us or one of our partner stores like TSC, Runnings, Lowes, etc."
Old 10-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Desert185

I used to use D-Con in the shop/hangar, but the mice store it in the most inconvenient places for me. I once found a large stash in the airplane (tailwheel access) that they put away before they died. It will absorb moisture and cause the aluminum to corrode.

I now use a solid block that they have to chew and can't carry away. Now I just see the occasional dead one and no D-Con pellets stored away to attract more mice to the random storage spot.

We also supplement feed the local feral cats. They kill the mice and provide a sporting chase for Charlie-boy. Win-win.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Richard Noble

I had read that rope lights keep mice away. I installed LED strip lights under the 5er - about 3" under"- and. believe it or not, I've not had a mouse problem. Also, they look great at night. Got the strips (16') for $60 from Batteries+Bulbs. These where about 1/2 the price of Camping World.

This past summer we stored the 5er on our Colorado mountain property and I did not turn on the lights. Had a huge pack rat move in. I used a rat trap and caught it. Funny thing - I took it inside, still dead in the trap, to show it to DW - she screamed at me! Told me to take it back outside. I do not understand women.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote