Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
hdrolling

Intervac Central Vacuum System= useless!

Why they even install these useless vacuums is beyond me? Our's is mounted in the garage of our toy hauler, so the hose doesn't even reach the bedroom that has the carpet.

Our garage does have carpet when the bikes are not loaded so it is handy for in there at times.

Gave up trying to use this system that is a pain having to connect everything and store all the attachments and huge ugly hose only to be able to vacuum 2/3's of our camper.

Bought and installed a new Dyson V6 cordless handheld vacuum and we love it! I wouldn't want to try to use it in our house but for the camper and our cars it it perfect! Highly recommend this product to anyone looking for a small compact system for their camper.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

Dang, that's expensive. Did you try buying a hose extension?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Dang, that's expensive. Did you try buying a hose extension?
No, I couldn't see spending more money on a system that is already a pain to use. And the dyson is a bag-less system so no more having to find and buy bags.

Brand new the dyson was $250 shipped with a 2 yr parts and labor warranty, that isn't really what we would consider expensive in our household?

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 07-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a central vacuum system in our motorhome. It was "built in" and was featured as a "space saving, out of the way" convenience. Well, to change the bag meant climbing upside down in a storage bay under the motorhome (after removing everything from the storage bay) and spilling dust, pet hair, sand and crumbs all over the inside of that bay trying to remove the full bag. The storage bay always smelled "musty" from the vacuum and all the convenience of the "built in system" more or less "went away" when you tried to find a place to store that long hose, handle and attachments.

Built in vacuum? No thanks, if nothing else, I'd prefer most any portable vacuum, heck even a broom and a carpet sweeper over paying for another "built in"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
No, I couldn't see spending more money on a system that is already a pain to use. And the dyson is a bag-less system so no more having to find and buy bags.

Brand new the dyson was $250 shipped with a 2 yr parts and labor warranty, that isn't really what we would consider expensive in our household?
Oh. I looked at the V6 Absolute with an MSRP of $599. $250 is much more reasonable. We love our Dyson at home.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
GaryWT

We do not have a vacuum in the trailer but I do not think I would spend $250 on one if we were to decide we needed one.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
We do not have a vacuum in the trailer but I do not think I would spend $250 on one if we were to decide we needed one.
You must not have two kids under the age of 6 staying in your camper with you? For me and the DW, and me being 100% VA disabled it's well worth it!

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Oh. I looked at the V6 Absolute with an MSRP of $599. $250 is much more reasonable. We love our Dyson at home.
We also have a dyson at home which was a big reason for me to choose the new v6 cordless systems for the camper. They can be found on Ebay for as low as $230 new with free shipping.

They do have the more expensive versions as well depending on optons you want. The $250 style had everything we will need to keep after our little crumb snatchers!

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 07-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
suddensam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Why they even install these useless vacuums is beyond me? Our's is mounted in the garage of our toy hauler, so the hose doesn't even reach the bedroom that has the carpet.

Our garage does have carpet when the bikes are not loaded so it is handy for in there at times.

Gave up trying to use this system that is a pain having to connect everything and store all the attachments and huge ugly hose only to be able to vacuum 2/3's of our camper.

Bought and installed a new Dyson V6 cordless handheld vacuum and we love it! I wouldn't want to try to use it in our house but for the camper and our cars it it perfect! Highly recommend this product to anyone looking for a small compact system for their camper.
Supposedly we have the same year and model of Raptor but it seems like every time I come across one of your posts I find another difference in how our two units are put together. Mine has the vacuum installed under the stairs leading to the bedroom. From this location the hose just barely reaches the very back of the garage but also easily covers the whole bedroom. So I'm getting pretty much 100% coverage of the whole interior. I'm not sure of the specific brand model installed in mine but it has the filter access for cleaning it out right on the front next to where the hose connects. We've only used it a couple times so haven't experienced how messy cleaning the filter will be yet but it seems to be in a location that is easy to get to. We've been storing the hose and attachments in the mesh bag they came in under the master bed. So far we are pretty happy with this feature in ours.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
EricLynnAllison

Same as above, ours is located at the stairs so it reaches everywhere. It is the dustbuster central vac and works great. Hose is stored under seat.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddensam View Post
Supposedly we have the same year and model of Raptor but it seems like every time I come across one of your posts I find another difference in how our two units are put together. Mine has the vacuum installed under the stairs leading to the bedroom. From this location the hose just barely reaches the very back of the garage but also easily covers the whole bedroom. So I'm getting pretty much 100% coverage of the whole interior. I'm not sure of the specific brand model installed in mine but it has the filter access for cleaning it out right on the front next to where the hose connects. We've only used it a couple times so haven't experienced how messy cleaning the filter will be yet but it seems to be in a location that is easy to get to. We've been storing the hose and attachments in the mesh bag they came in under the master bed. So far we are pretty happy with this feature in ours.
Under the stairs would have made more sense and been able to reach where we would need to use it, most of the other campers we saw had the vac in that location.

That's why I was surprised to see it in the garage.

I often forget how much storage is under the bed, we normally store just extra drinks and dry goods under there.

Retired Army, 22yrs