Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
B-O-B'03

Great deal on a Champion 3100W inverter Generator

I have been looking around at generators for the new 22RBPR and found that Costco online currently has $100 off the Champion 3100W, peak, inverter generator. This is the no-frills, pull start model.

Their regular price was the cheapest I have found for it and the 100 off made it an easy choice for me. It was under $700 + tax with free shipping.

We are planning a trip to the Big Bend region of Texas on April 17 and I hope it gets delivered before we go.

I will post up my opinions and review after I get it.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 03-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
Chakara

Congrats, I'm looking forward to hearing your results with the Champion. I have a 7800 Champion that I use to run the well when the power goes out. So far so good with it....

-Chak

Older
2010 Starcraft 246RKS
2004 Casita SD 17
200? Dodge Dakota
My neglected blog including some RV stuff
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
B-O-B'03

We just got back from our maiden voyage to the Big Bend region of Texas.

We spent 2 nights at the Seminole Canyon State park, with water and electric hook ups and then 5 nights, dry camping on Terlingua creek, in the old La Kiva camp ground. (www.la-kiva.com)

I ran the generator for the recommend 5 hour break in period, prior to the trip, changed the oil and then ran it another 4 or 5 hours hooked to the camper to check things out, before we left. I ran the camper for several days on just the batteries, pior to hooking up the generator and then cranked it up, plugged in and turned on the AC. It was running the AC, the inside fridge, the outside fridge and recharging the batteries with the converter all at the same time, without straining.

It is definitely quieter than the "contractor" grade units I am used to hearing at the NASCAR races but not as quiet as my friends Honda (no real surprise there). You can stand next to it and carry on a conversation, without having to raise your voice.

We ran it a total of 7 hours, while we were dry camped. Mostly for breakfast (coffee grinder, coffee pot, toaster, etc) and ~3 hours one hot afternoon to run the AC and cool the camper off.

I am very happy with the unit and plan on keeping it, there were no issues with it at all and it almost always started on the first pull, second pull worst case.

I purchased an hour meter for it, from Amazon, for about 10 bucks and attached it to the case, to make managing maintenance intervals easier.

Thumbs up from me.

-Brian
Old 05-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
chartrand

Brian,
So where do store it when not in use no where are you running it from? Perhaps the bed of your truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:10 AM   #5
bg71361

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
We just got back from our maiden voyage to the Big Bend region of Texas.

We spent 2 nights at the Seminole Canyon State park, with water and electric hook ups and then 5 nights, dry camping on Terlingua creek, in the old La Kiva camp ground. (www.la-kiva.com)

I ran the generator for the recommend 5 hour break in period, prior to the trip, changed the oil and then ran it another 4 or 5 hours hooked to the camper to check things out, before we left. I ran the camper for several days on just the batteries, pior to hooking up the generator and then cranked it up, plugged in and turned on the AC. It was running the AC, the inside fridge, the outside fridge and recharging the batteries with the converter all at the same time, without straining.

It is definitely quieter than the "contractor" grade units I am used to hearing at the NASCAR races but not as quiet as my friends Honda (no real surprise there). You can stand next to it and carry on a conversation, without having to raise your voice.

We ran it a total of 7 hours, while we were dry camped. Mostly for breakfast (coffee grinder, coffee pot, toaster, etc) and ~3 hours one hot afternoon to run the AC and cool the camper off.

I am very happy with the unit and plan on keeping it, there were no issues with it at all and it almost always started on the first pull, second pull worst case.

I purchased an hour meter for it, from Amazon, for about 10 bucks and attached it to the case, to make managing maintenance intervals easier.

Thumbs up from me.

-Brian
Do you know what size AC you have?
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Brian,
So where do store it when not in use no where are you running it from? Perhaps the bed of your truck?

I bought a fairly heavy, 6 foot cable lock, from amazon and keep the generator under the rear of the camper, locked through both handles to the rear bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg71361 View Post
Do you know what size AC you have?
It is a 15K BTU, Dometic

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 05-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I bought a fairly heavy, 6 foot cable lock, from amazon and keep the generator under the rear of the camper, locked through both handles to the rear bumper.

It is a 15K BTU, Dometic

Thanks,

-Brian
Please take a picture of this setup and post it please. I have a same unit and would like to see how you did it.

Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Please take a picture of this setup and post it please. I have a same unit and would like to see how you did it.

Pat
Hi Pat,

Here is the LOCK I bought, I'll try to take a picture of the setup.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
arturob

6 month report on champion genereator

Bought one of these units last year before we set off to Arizona for the winter. My main focus was on getting something quiet and at a price a lot lower than the Honda. After 6 months I am extremely happy. The generator starts first pull every time, will run my air conditioner (15000 btu) and has lived happily under a cover in the back of the truck without complaint. Thoroughly recommend this generator.
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
B-O-B'03

Quote:

Pat
Hi Pat,

I found this picture, that shows were we had the generator. the 6 foot locking cable went around the bumper and through both handles of the generator.

-Brian
Old 06-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
B-O-B'03

I was looking for a pressure washer, on costco.com, today and see they have the Champion generator for $100 off again, until July 12, while supplies last.

I really like mine and have put around 30 hours on it, on 2 camping trips.

Free shipping and $100 off is a pretty good deal IMHO.

-Brian
Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
thatdjguy

any concerns with fumes being under living space?
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
any concerns with fumes being under living space?
Not really, the muffler points outward and the space under the camper is pretty open.

I have not noticed any exhaust smell inside the camper.

-Brian
Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
Woodsrider

What does that generator weigh? I have the Powermate 3100 inverter. with a full tank of fuel its an awkward two person lift into and out of the bed of the TV. So I leave it chained up in the bed, and run it from there. Over the 4th, I contemplated taking it out and putting it behind the trailer, but again, its easier to just leave it in the bed of the truck.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
What does that generator weigh? I have the Powermate 3100 inverter. with a full tank of fuel its an awkward two person lift into and out of the bed of the TV. So I leave it chained up in the bed, and run it from there. Over the 4th, I contemplated taking it out and putting it behind the trailer, but again, its easier to just leave it in the bed of the truck.
I load and unload it from the bed of the truck by myself, the spec sheet says it weighs 84 pounds, not sure it is that heavy. The gas tank holds 1.6 gallons, so I guess that would add another 9 pounds or so.

Once on the ground it has a fold-out handle and built-in wheels that make moving it pretty easy.

-Brian