Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Seabee

Are trailer covers worth the cost?

Like the title says, is it worth it to spend the money on a full trailer cover to put on when the trailer is not in use? Is a high quality tarp covering the roof just as good? Is performing regular maintenance just as good? The DW thinks we should buy one and I'm not so sure. Yes, I'm wussing out and getting help from the forum. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Are trailer covers worth the cost?

Your not wussing out, your getting backing for your decision. With that said, your going to hear from both sides.

I had an Adco cover for my previous fiver, paid big money and it turned to "dust" in 3 years. My buddy gave me his $$ cover a couple of years ago when he sold his fiver. He had used it two years and it rotted in one summer on mine.

I wash/wax my exterior on a regular basis now using NuFinish. There are plenty of products that members will recommend that cost a lot less than a cover. So Ian on the don't spend your money side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
jsmith948

What Chuckster said. Bought an ADCO Designer Series cover for our 5er. Lasted less than 2 years (sun rotted). Pain in the keyster to put on and take off. We live in a very dusty area. The cover kept the trailer a little cleaner, but, the sandy grit got between the cover and the roof and there was a little abrasion. Keep it clean and keep it waxed or treated. The cost of the cover will buy a lot of wax. Better yet - put up a metal RV cover (carport)

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ What Chuckster and jsmith said. I bought an ADCO cover for our first fifth wheel. Used it one winter, couldn't get on the roof to clear the snow accumulation because the cover wasn't "formed" to the roof, rather it "tented" and pulled against everything plastic that was up there. The sides billowed every time the wind blew and the fabric rubbed against the sides leaving marks.

Oh did I mention that if you do have a cover on and it freezes, you can't go anywhere with your RV until it thaws enough to get the cover off. Don't pull on it to "urge" the ice to release, that's a great way to rip your roof membrane away from the OSB decking......

I'd say either build an RV port, a pole barn or buy stock in your favorite wax company.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Seabee

Thank you for the replies gentlemen.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Never had a cover on the RV. Had one very similar to the Adco on my newly painted Jeep and found that it did a good job of sanding the paint in windy, dusty conditions. After reading the comments on this forum I decided to do what the others have done (above).....clean and polish then rent a 16x50 RV building with power. SOOOO nice not worrying about "stuff" and Mr. Sun.......
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
poncho62

I live where there is lots of ice and snow......I just cover the roof with a tarp, easy to pull the snow off if you keep up with it. I dont cover it in the summer

Old 06-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Mr30RLI

I think what folks are saying in probably not, and I agree.

Washing, waxing, and watching the seals will be a better investmen.

Frank

Mr30RLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
ftrupe

I purchased the ADCO cover for my Passport 23RB. It went on the end of October and came off in April. The trailer stayed clean and free of leaves. I will put it back on in November. The cover held up to a difficult winter on Long Island, with no rips or damage. Glad I bought it.
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
B&T

Beware of using colored Tarps, can overheat and cause finish bubbling in the flexible Filon panel areas. I know this for a fact!
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
440justin

I spent more than the Adco covers go for and went with a custom made CalMark cover and have been very happy with it. I cover my trailer November through April and then leave off all summer as I use the camper to much to mess with the cover. The key to a good cover is good fit and high quality material. The CalMark covers are made in the US using Sunbrella material with a 6 year warranty. Most other covers have a 1 or 2 year warranty and sometimes you see a 3 year warranty, I have yet to see any other covers with a warranty that comes close.

http://www.calmarkcovers.com
Old 06-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
eds451

I bought a cover off ebay when I bought our 07 Cougar in 2010. It lasted 2 years before falling apart. It was an SOB to get on and off. The only thing I can say positive for a cover is it keeps the decals from fading and curling. I removed the decals early this spring.
Since we are getting closer to retirement and have more time to go, I do not see a reason to cover the 5er. It needs to be out and gone, not covered in my backyard.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
ncbound123

I had this debate with myself and in the long run I determined that a carport/structure was the best option. Went with a 24 X 41 with 14' legs. Here is a pic of the completed building. (The camper is pushed in so that the guys could complete the trim on the front of the building.) The camper normally is flush with the front end and rear as well.

I hope that by keeping the camper out of the elements that it will last much longer than one that is left out and not protected.
The finer things in life.
ncbound123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

I've got ours in a covered building too, but it still gets some sun on the nose at certain times of the day. Just a "nose" cover would be great, if such a thing existed.. Otherwise we'll end up building larger storage - maybe 45' long, 14' high... The building is relatively inexpensive. The pad and site work are not.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #15
cathcartww

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440justin View Post
I spent more than the Adco covers go for and went with a custom made CalMark cover and have been very happy with it. I cover my trailer November through April and then leave off all summer as I use the camper to much to mess with the cover. The key to a good cover is good fit and high quality material. The CalMark covers are made in the US using Sunbrella material with a 6 year warranty. Most other covers have a 1 or 2 year warranty and sometimes you see a 3 year warranty, I have yet to see any other covers with a warranty that comes close.

http://www.calmarkcovers.com
Another vote in favor of covers - but agree to spend extra and get a Sunbrella (woven fabric) cover. We had a cheapy non-woven cover on our first trailer and it only lasted a couple of years. We like the way it keep the trailer looking nice and clean, ready to go, and kept wasps and other flying critters away. It also adds a certain extra level of security in the storage yard where we keep it. We replaced with a Calmark, and it lasted without a problem for three seasons until we traded the trailer in. We purchased another CalMark for the current trailer, and since it is semi-custom made, it fits like a glove. My wife and I can put it on in about 20 minutes - much less to take it off. I would have second thoughts about climbing around on the roof a fifth wheel at my age, but the TT is no problem.

A big factor is how often you use the trailer - if you use it often, it could be a pain. We tend to take longer trips, spaced apart - Hatteras a couple of weeks in June, trailer sits all summer, most of September in Cananda, sits through the Holidays, then several months in Florida after the first of the year ....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #16
bmach

I am also in favor of ADCO covers. If you follow the directions they go on very easily, as long as you do it on a calm day. I like the price of mind knowing that my roof, calking, hatches and whatever else is up there is not subjected to any freezing and thawing and then refreezing. I clean it wax it cover it and in the spring it is as clean as when I covered it. If you tie it tight it does not flap in the wind either. Well that is how they have worked for for the past 10 years for so.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:28 AM   #17
larry337

Had an ADCO for my first trailer. Had holes in it the first year. In addition you will never get it folded as small as the day you buy it. It comes with a bag to stuff it in but then you have a huge "garbage" bag to store somewhere. They're just not worth the time or money in my opinion. In pretty good at keeping all my things clean. Inspect your caulking. They're made to be outside. I don't keep anything more then about 5 years anyway and I get the itch for something else. A building or permanent structure would be ideal but I'll never mess with a cover again.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:58 AM   #18
Seabee

Thanks to all for the replies. Had the DW read them all and it seems as though logic has won the day. It's not really worth it to get a cover with as much as we use the camper. The best thing about it? That's $400 or $500 that can go towards other man toys.