Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
jshupe

Cover and Security

I have a 2015 Keystone Hideout 260LHS. We live in a HOA (that was a mistake) and can't keep it at our house, so we are currently paying $55/mo for it to sit in a storage lot about five miles away. The storage lot is secured with fencing and keycode access, and supposedly has security cameras, but I'm not entirely trusting of all the other tenants. There is a lot of junk stored there, as the owner will let anyone who can meet the minimum payments in the gate.

I've been shopping around for covered parking, and can't find anything that is completely enclosed. I have found some covered spaces -- consisting of a roof and possible protection on the sides and back from other RVs, but nothing that truly seems worth spending over $100/mo for, as they are asking.

I keep my storage compartments locked, but the dealer told me that just about everybody with an RV would have a working key, so I'm considering buying a rekey set off Amazon. My only other concern is the theft of the Pro-Pride 3P hitch, whether it is in the storage facility or out at a campsite. I'd like to hear any ideas for securing it.

As for the cover, I'm strongly considering picking up a standard RV cover online to throw over it at this point. Even if I spend $500 (the most expensive ones I've seen) on it, it should pay itself off within the lifespan of the cover (10mo @ $50 extra per month I would pay for storage...) What covers should I be looking at? I notice some have 2,3,4 and 5 year warranties. Are those true indicators of how long they should last? I live around Austin, Texas with hot, sunny summers and mild winters. I'm also guessing I would need a 26-27ft cover, due to the "260LHS", and not a 30ft which would be the total length including the tongue. Is that a safe assumption, or should I measure the actual body of the trailer itself? My specific trailer didn't come with a ladder, but some of them do. Is that a safe indicator that I can walk on the roof of it?

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD w/ Kelderman 4-Link & 19.5 LRH tires
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB w/ Titan disc brakes and LRG tires
KG5PTC 146.520 7.245 mobile
Build and travel blog
jshupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

RV covers? One of the biggest wastes of money IMO. I bought an expensive one with a 3 yr warranty, it lasted 3 years and then turned to dust. A good exterior treatment and a little elbow grease goes a LONG way. Covers are measured end to end for a bumper pull, without the hitch. No ladder doesn't mean no walking on the roof, would I? Maybe not so much.

If your compartments are CH751 keys, then yeah pretty much everybody has one. H330 and R001 are a couple more common ones. It may be worth the price of a re key kit.

The hitch, I would take home and store in the garage or out building.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
GaryWT

It is tough when you can't park in your yard. We keep the hitch on the truck generally when camping, we lock it on if leaving the site. At home we keep it in the front storage. In your situation I think I would bring it home. Have never covered the trailer but if you do, be sure it is vented. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
jshupe

The Propride hitch stays on the trailer... It's bolted on and a pain to remove. On the flip side, it's very expensive and I don't want it growing legs even if it is difficult to do.

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD w/ Kelderman 4-Link & 19.5 LRH tires
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB w/ Titan disc brakes and LRG tires
KG5PTC 146.520 7.245 mobile
Build and travel blog
jshupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshupe View Post
The Propride hitch stays on the trailer... It's bolted on and a pain to remove. On the flip side, it's very expensive and I don't want it growing legs even if it is difficult to do.
There are "security bolts" available. They are grade 8 with a hole drilled through the end. Install the nut, then put a padlock through the hole. Another option is to tack weld a couple of the nuts so a thief isn't able to get a wrench on it and break it loose. Remember, anything you do is only as good as the thief's determination. If they really want it, they will find a way to get it or destroy it in the process. Sometimes, just having good insurance is the most reasonable solution.

Before you make the final decision to cover your RV, do some research on here about "oil canning" and "fiberglass delamination". There have been too many reports about damage being caused by the covers for it to be "co-incidental" in all cases.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote