Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Mag1234

FIC lock - wrong key stuck in door lock

Hi all,

Brought home my brand new 2015 Passport 2920BH last night. It has two doors with FIC locks, the master/deadbolt combos. My wife anxiously went to open the door to see it, stuck the wrong key in the deadbolt, and its stuck. She didn't turn or do anything extreme. I think I might be unlucky. Leaving the dealer, the key lock was left in the horizontal position. I've since read that is a no-no, as it can cause tumblers or something to move around, preventing the key from going in all the way. I might have stumbled into this, and the solution is to slightly hammer the key in until its fully in. Then it will operate. The problem I have is that its the WRONG KEY, so I can't hammer it all the way in. But it won't come out, and feeling it there is some play where its catching on something in there.

Luckily I can get inside from the rear access door. So I'm thinking I might be able to take apart the 4 screws and open the handle mechanism, manually disengage the deadbolt, and replace the whole lock mechanism. Is this what y'all would recommend trying? Any other ideas on how to get the key out?

My main question is that all of the FIC locksets I see online (including on Fastec's page) talk about keys that start with HF .. e.g. HF310, etc. Well, my key starts with "CW" and the key looks slightly different. It is stamped with FIC but differently than the keys I've seen on campers for years. I'm guessing this is a new model, and will try calling Fastec tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement door handle with integrated two locks.

I know, I should be taking this up with my dealer/keystone.. But if the handle is $25, my dealer is 1.5 hours away and my time and gas would cost me more than fixing it myself. Unless there is a complexity to doing this once I open up the handle, it doesn't seem worth it. Appreciate any tips/comments. Also curious if these new locks have a new issue we have to worry about?? I read all about the FIC lock recall, but this one isn't affected.

Thanks
Mag1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
x96mnn

I did something similar on the first day with my sprinter, was the outdoor kitchen.

Personally I would drill it out and head over to the local locksmith with what's left in hand. Mine was able to sell me an upgraded lock that fit in, new key for under 20 bucks.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have access to the inside of the locked door (as you indicate) you can unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the lock assembly inside/outside halves together, remove the lock and reinstall a new one. It's a 1:1 exchange and should only take you about 5 minutes to complete.

As for who pays, since it's a brand new trailer and the lock is "jammed", if you contact Fastec, they may be gracious enough to send you a replacement lock set. Now, if you have the number from the "other door" key, when you're talking to Fastec, ask them if they can send you a lock with the same number key. That will preclude any "wrong key insertion" since both locks will use the same key.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Follow the last post and do not hammer the key or lock or door or you will be getting all listed replaced. Once you take out the lock and really see what the door is made of you will understand.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Mag1234

I called Fastec, they were happy to discuss the part and sell me a new one. However they wouldn't send me one for free and insisted I go through my dealer for warranty. That was a bit of a bummer since my dealer is not nearby and it wouldn't be cost effective. I wonder if I can order one and get reimbursed by Keystone directly? I don't want to wait on them to order one, and as mentioned I want to key it to match my other lock which might be hard through a third party.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You can order one from Amazon for $31 plus $5 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Trailer...fastec+RV+lock

It is also available in black for the same price.

You can also order one from Fastec keyed to your other lockset for $36 at this site: http://www.fastecindustrial.com/products/default.html

You indicated that your wife inserted the wrong key and it jammed. That's not really a warranty issue, rather a "misuse" issue and Keystone won't cover that if the dealer documents what really happened.

Honestly, with a situation like this, I'd have to ask you whether trying to get "something for free" is worth the hassle of working through a dealer 1.5 hours away and hoping he will "lie to Keystone for you" or whether it's just as simple (and more honest) to just buy the lockset for $36 and be done with it.

It's completely your decision, but don't "badmouth" Keystone or the dealer if they simply tell you that you broke it and it's not covered by your warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I've been meaning to check if my lock was included in the recall, Thanks for the reminder..it is and I filled out the form.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
Mag1234

It is a defective lock. RV keys should not get stuck in locks, even if it is not the correct key. That is ridiculous. It wasn't jammed in, simply inserted and will not come out. I've tried the wrong key countless number of times in my last RV since it has two different identical looking keys. They don't get stuck in. In any case, unscrewing the inside 4 bolts isn't enough to open the door. The deadbolt prevents it from popping out, and I cannot remove the inner plate to get to the deadbolt mechanism since it has 4 additional screws and two are blocked by the door and not accessible from the hole in the door. I'm wondering if this new FIC lock is slightly different than the HF series locks everyone is familiar with. I guess my next attempt will be to drill through the lock along the key, but I fear it will just damage the lock further and prevent it from opening all together ..
Old 08-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
Mag1234

Update - I ended up prying the key out. The deadbolt still wouldn't open from the inside, though. Next I inserted the correct key in the lock and it only went in about a quarter of the way. I took a hammer and gently tapped and it popped the rest of the way in. I was then able to unlatch the deadbolt.

Although the lock appears to function, I now have zero faith in it and will order replacement cylinders that match my other rear door key.

I will also insure my lock keyholes are left in the vertical position at all times and especially during travel. I believe this caused the malfunction that was made worse with insertion of the wrong key. Had it been the correct key, gently tapping with a hammer usually knocks things back into place.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I guess your door and locks are different than mine, I took screws out from inside and put pliers to the dead bolt to rotate it it open, it was real easy. Glas you did no damage by hammering ,you seen how thin the door metal is, I bent it alittle getting the lock work out. I learned that if I was struck inside I could likely kick the door open or put my foot thru it to escape.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
Pmedic4

Replacement locks

I had posted earlier about a RV lock dealer that has replacement lockets for $19.95 + shipping, of course they are the same brand. RVlocksandmore.com

They also have some options for the security concerned.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
ironhog

I replaced both door latches as well as 3 cargo locks last week. Took less than 1/2 hour. Got them from RVLocks and more. Not expensive. Now have one (1) key for the whole camper....
ironhog is offline   Reply With Quote