Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Brantlaker

Replacement Vent Fans

I have been thinking about replacing my Bathroom fan with a Hengs 90046-Cr multi speed fan any thoughts or ideas? Also was thinking about a 110v fan in the bedroom instead of a second AC hooking it up to the AC wiring.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose many people are satisfied with Heng's "add on" vent fans. We bought two for our Springdale, installed one in the bath and when we tried it, we were very disappointed that it was so loud. I removed it, returned both of them and bought a Fantastic reversible 4000 series 3 speed vent for the bath. It was significantly less noisy and moved more air. We moved that Fantastic fan to the Cougar's bathroom when we traded. Actually, we knew we were going to upgrade/trade when the tree fell on our Springdale, so while rebuilding the roof, I asked CW not to reinstall the Fantastic, but to go back to the original "small motor fan". It seemed to make economic sense to me, not to buy another fan for the Cougar. Both of the Heng fan systems seem (to me) to be a compromise. Compared to the "factory fan", more air movement, more noise, but less "hassle" than changing the entire vent assembly.

As for installing a 110 volt fan in the bedroom vent, that's an option. Depending on how often you "dry camp" it may be more versatile to install a DC fan so you can use it when not connected to shore power. It depends on your "style of camping" as to whether running the wires for DC or using the existing AC wires works best for you. With the Fantastic fan motors, they seem to be just as reliable as AC motors, so I wouldn't worry much about reliability, rather its more about your use and desires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I would recommend a fantastic fan or Max-air. The Fantastic fans are quiet and powerful, I just prefer the Scoop vent of the Max-air, eliminating the need for a vent cover.

My bedroom vent has the reversible 10 speed Max-air, and I cant sleep with it higher than about 3 due to the volume of air it pushes/pulls.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
justlkn

I just replaced my bathroom stock fan with the Hengs 90046-Cr and I must agree with the above responses. Although the fan moves more air than stock it is VERY loud on high. It sounds like a turbine jet. I usually only use it on low to keep the sound level down. It will move a lot of air though if you are ok with the whine. I have a Fantastic Fan in the kitchen and there is no comparison in sound. All you here on that one is the rush of air moving.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
SkiSmuggs

I had the same reaction to the Heng Vortek I fan single speed, but replaced it with a Vortek II multi-speed and am very pleased. I will install the first one in the living room vent to use for quick venting on hot days.
Heng should have used a medium speed for the Vortek I and it would still move way more air, but would be much quieter.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Valover

We installed the Vortex 5 speed fan in the bathroom and have been very happy with it. We had put one in our previous TT and liked it so much that it was the first mod we did when we got the Bullet.

RV VORTEX II - 5 SPEED replacement roof vent fan upgrade 12 Volt 9” Blade on Ebay.

Don and Laura + Critters
2008 Tundra
2011 Premier 28RLS
Valover is offline   Reply With Quote