Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Dvorchak70

Ipod will not play on iRV EX6500DVD

I took my Keystone Passport 199ML out for the first time last weekend. I could not get my Ipod to play using either the USB or the Aux input. Anybody else have this problem? Any solutions?
Dvorchak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
MBD

I don't know about your specific stereo. My previous TT had a Jensen multi function stereo head unit. To play my iPod or iPhone I had to plug a patch cord from the headphone jack of MP3 player to the Aux input of the stereo and then scroll through the inputs until Aux was displayed. The USB was useless (unless I was charging something). I found out that I could buy a special harness that plugged into the back of the stereo and would then control the iPod/iPhone. Bought it, took it home, removed stereo head unit - surprise surprise--no place to plug the harness in. Harness went back to Camping World. New unit came with Blue Tooth connectivity - no more hassles. Make sure you turn volume way up on your iPod and also on stereo. There is a setting for line out on iPod-sorry I don't remember the menu sequence to get there. Also make sure your speakers are switched on. (I know it sounds basic, but those are the things I generally overlook)
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
BirchyBoy

If you used the headphone jack, did you make sure the volume on the iPhone was turned up? Also, did the radio work? It's possible that all of the speaker zones were turned off. Either A (inside) or C (outside) should have an indicator light on.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
chartrand

You need a cable that plugs into the headphone jack on your iPod and the other end plugs into the aux jack on the stereo, the cable ends should be the same (male 1/8 inch). turn the iPod on start playing music at 75% volume. Turn on the stereo and verify you can hear the radio, if not turn up the volume and make sure you have the right speakers selected. Once you have sound, then switch over to aux and you should hear your iPod.

The cable you need is like this one: http://www.amazon.com/CCM%C2%AE-Ster...1%2F8+in+cable

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
jenm42

I have the same problem with my new Passport 280BH. The modes that it cycles through includes "iPod" but nothing plays when I hook it up.

Is using a different cable and going through AUX my only option? It seems more of a workaround than a solution, since the radio is obviously meant to hook up to an iPod...

The manual is no help, since it doesn't mention that functionality at all. It seems that the manual may in fact be for an older model of the iRV radio than the one that I have.
jenm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Wantoride

I'm not inclined to mess with the tech stuff. I had the same problem with my 23rb. Personally, I think a boze wireless speaker is far better than the speakers in the trailer. Bluetooth all the way. We use our music library and I pad. I don't keep much on my phone. I managed to get it to play once but don't recall how, it didn't impress me, the boze is better
Old 04-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
BirchyBoy

One of my first upgrades will be to upgrade the speakers. I need to get one of them pulled down so I can get some measurements before I order anything.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
BadmanRick

iPod/iPhone support

I have a Jensen WMA975 wall mount stereo DVD. This stereo Is compatible with all iPhones with the iPhone cable from Jensen. This plugs onto the rear to unit and charges the iPhone also. I used it on my 3GS through my iPhone 5s. The 5 s need an iPhone adapter then the sound works and shows up on the tv. Can change songs etc with the remote. Otherwise you need a double ended 3.5 mm cable but can only hear sound. Hope this helps. I do not know why keystone we to the cheap IRv stereo. O that's it to save a buck.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
BadmanRick

IRv ex6500dvd iPhone/iPod play

This unit may be Bluetooth compatible with a Bluetooth iPhone/iPod/ iPad. It should also work with any Bluetooth comparable unit.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
{tpc}

I have this same unit, but haven't tried the ipod thing yet. It might be BT capable, but at first glance it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about being that way lol.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
AlexM

Ipod will not play on iRV EX6500DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvorchak70 View Post
I took my Keystone Passport 199ML out for the first time last weekend. I could not get my Ipod to play using either the USB or the Aux input. Anybody else have this problem? Any solutions?

Same thing happens to me. Took my 2014 Premier Bullet 30RIPR out for the first time and no Aux or USB functionality. Used the right cables, not a newbie in AV. I get error 4 for USB and nothing when try using Aux. This sucks, the dealer did not supplied the manual for this unit. Also tried the reset button. All it did it reset the clock that I previously set...
Any solution to this or is it a defective unit? I'd say defective.
What is the manufacturer, Jensen? If so, could not find it on their website, no manuals. Stupid stereo...
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Jim Dow

CANZ Speaker

Just get a CANZ speaker ($19) and be done with the issue.

The sound is great from this little speaker unit.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
Hashmark Johnny

AlexM, I was really having a hard time with the same exact problem. I just picked up my '14 Bullet 272BHS and I couldn't get the stereo to do anything with my iPhone. Which of course was just ticking me off as all my music is streamed or preloaded into my iPhones/iPods from my abnormally large music collection. So today after reading this thread I felt motivated to find a solution and bam! I figured it out!! As techies we are looking at the AV in/Aux in and thinking that "well I'm plugged in with my 3.5mm into this jack and we aren't hooking up any video so we need to select 'Aux in' in the Mode menu" ... WRONG!! By sheer happy accident as I was cycling thru I stopped on the 'AV in' mode for about three seconds and there it was!! whew.... The simple question I would now have is why would they ever need to label that jack twice? Oh well... don't really care now as the music is sounding sweet to my ears....
I hope this ends up being a fix for you as well...

Past RVs:
'68 Yellowstone TT
'72 VW Weekender
'79 VW Transporter
Hashmark Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 AM   #14
AlexM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashmark Johnny View Post
AlexM, I was really having a hard time with the same exact problem. I just picked up my '14 Bullet 272BHS and I couldn't get the stereo to do anything with my iPhone. Which of course was just ticking me off as all my music is streamed or preloaded into my iPhones/iPods from my abnormally large music collection. So today after reading this thread I felt motivated to find a solution and bam! I figured it out!! As techies we are looking at the AV in/Aux in and thinking that "well I'm plugged in with my 3.5mm into this jack and we aren't hooking up any video so we need to select 'Aux in' in the Mode menu" ... WRONG!! By sheer happy accident as I was cycling thru I stopped on the 'AV in' mode for about three seconds and there it was!! whew.... The simple question I would now have is why would they ever need to label that jack twice? Oh well... don't really care now as the music is sounding sweet to my ears....

I hope this ends up being a fix for you as well...
Thank you so much for your post. I'll try it next time I go camping (stored the camper 2.5h away from home). This would be great if works. Still, I wish the USB would work with the iPhone, digital sound and charging but at this point none of these USB functions work for me.
THANKS AGAIN!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
HappyCamperMN

#Johnny beat me to it, I was going to say that I had luck with "AV-in" rather that "AUX-in". So I'll just second his advice...

As with others who have commented... I've got the audio working, but with questionable quality. I'm starting to think I want to replace speakers as well as the whole "receiver" itself. Particularly since that "fine piece of equipment" has nothing more than a composite video (yellow RCA jack) output to the HDTV...

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #16
Jim Dow

CANZ Speaker

Try the rechargeable CANZ bluetooth speaker. It sounds great; and it costs only $19 at Walmart.

It's about the size of a small can of tomato paste.

It works every time.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
{tpc}

A couple of things I learned this past weekend about this unit.
1. Unit is cheaply made, I believe in china.

2. For the DVD portion, it outputs right to the speakers, not to the TV, at least not that I can tell. I am fairly certain I recall an unused rca audio output, that you might be able to feed into the tv, but I'm not confident that is output from the dvd.

3. Aux in vs AV in, AV in is explained above, but I have yet to test that. Aux in is actually coming from rca cables connected to audio out portion of my TV. This is nice if your watching something that you want to also hear via speakers inside or outside.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #18
jps

{tpc}, in reference to number 2 in your post, our 2650BH had cables running from the output on the back of the iRv unit to the tv inputs. What I finally figured out was that the tv was considered to be the B speaker on the unit and the volume of the B speaker had to be turned up before you could use the volume control for the tv. This allowed us to use the DVD player in the unit and output to the tv.

James
Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #19
AlexM

I checked the sound on AV mode and it worked...
No idea why they would use that instead of AUX like all other radios.
Still no USB with the iPhone 5S. Might work with older iPhones iPods?