Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschad View Post
I have a vantage 29rls. It has two doors and a locking cover on the font window that raises up when open. They each lock and are all keyed differently. So with 3 different keys does that mean I can open most keystone trailers?
FASTEC Lock Company makes almost all the entry door locks for every RV manufacturer. There are 50 key codes. HF301 - HF351. S0 if you have three HF keys, chances are you can open one in every 16 RV's in the campground. LOL

That being said, you might be able to open every one on the first row and none on the back row... That's what makes it fun to walk up and try <YIKES>

Here's the website in case you might want to buy a complete set (plus the master). The set is only $56 and pretty much guarantees that you can open every RV, even on the back row..... LOL

http://www.fastecindustrial.com/products/default.html

Oh, if you don't already have a spare set of keys hidden away in a magnetic box somewhere under your RV, this website is an excellent place to order spare keys for "legitimate" purposes...... You can also order the key and master cylinder to replace the ones in your current locks so all of your locks are opened by one key. Makes it easier for you "AND" the thief to get in during a rainstorm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #22
Steve S

This is funny, when I bought my trailer there was one key that looked odd compared to the others. About a week later the dealer called and asked if I had this key and I asked why and he said it was a master key for the lot.
They said they would send someone out to pick it up and they never did.
I keep meaning to bring it with me when I go to buy stuff but as I never lock my doors I never carry keys.
Oh and I'm waiting for someone close to post that they bought a new BBQ for their TT so I can go scoop it one day!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #23
Pmedic4

Security and Safety

Thanks for the feedback. Like most of you on here, I've had many RV's, not realizing before the ease in obtaining any key. In some ways, someone breaking in and stealing the TV and DVD player isn't that big a concern, because it is all replaceable.
It all gets down to being in some remote campground, and some guy with the same key in the middle of the night decides to make the midnight visit cause he didn't want to walk all the way to the outhouse.

Like everyone else, I have my original CH751, which opens every compartment on standard quality RV's.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
Jimmerinwi

[QUOTE=Pmedic4;113630]some guy with the same key in the middle of the night decides to make the midnight visit cause he didn't want to walk all the way to the outhouse.QUOTE]
That's when he gets introduced to "Mr. Glock!"
Jimmerinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
SAD
Permanent User Ban

If I am gone, my RV is not locked. Yall hep yall selfs.

If I'm sleeping, only the man-door is locked. Gives me 15 seconds advance notice before my "friend" cones out to solve problems for me.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #26
Kristi

When we did our walk through, the tech told us not to keep anything in the storage bays that can't be replaced, because so many keys are interchangeable.

SAD- that sounds like DH's attitude.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #27
outwest

A few weeks ago, one of the sets of keys to trailer was misplaced and the other was locked inside trailer. I couldn't remember if I could enter via the outside storage or not, but figured was worth a shot. So, I took a different key than the CH751, inserted it into outside storage compartment's lock, and used it to simultaneously rake the pins and apply tension. Within 10 secs it was unlocked.

As it turned out, I couldn't enter the trailer that way without doing damage, but was nonetheless an "educational" experience regarding the OEM lock. Not only are the CH751s commonplace, they're also super easy to pick.

Replacing mine with the harder to pick tubular locks http://www.ch751.com Sure, a thief can still use a prybar, but...

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #28
denverpilot

If anyone wants to see how hard it is to defeat them...

My deadbolt was jammed. 5 minutes with a cordless drill and a Phillips screwdriver...

Note: If you really wanted in, and didn't care about the door or noise, 2 minutes with a sawsall around the lock...

It's just thin aluminum and foam around it...

If you're counting on that to "protect" anything inside... Good luck!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #29
chgo_spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
We recently lost one of our sets of keys to our RV, and I contacted the dealer about getting a new set of keys. The person was very helpful , almost too helpful. He said yes, we can get those keys, and it would take about a week, but then he said, you can go to "RVLocksandmore.com", and order the keys yourself.
My first thought was, well isn't there any validation of the model and the keys I have? Thanked the guy, and went to the website, and as he described, there were the keys for our RV, for $2.75. Codes for all common keys are listed right there, so whatever key (Fastec or GLobal Link), for any code I want, is right there for the ordering. Better yet, for $70, I could order an entire set of all keys for probably about 80% of the RVs on the market. So then you start thinking....
How secure is our RV? Yes, it would be real easy to break into most RV's without great difficulty, probably lots of damage, but hey, it's not mine so who cares!
The question is, does this bother anyone else. I've always known there are only a few unique locksets for RVs, but the ease to obtain the keys is much worse than I could imagine.
We just got a new trailer and I noticed the outdoor storage keys have the exact same number on them as the trailer we traded in, which is a completely different manufacturer, so I'm guessing the master key is the same too. Kinda scary, glad we have a dog when we camp.
chgo_spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 AM   #30
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgo_spartan View Post
We just got a new trailer and I noticed the outdoor storage keys have the exact same number on them as the trailer we traded in, which is a completely different manufacturer, so I'm guessing the master key is the same too. Kinda scary, glad we have a dog when we camp.
There is no master key ... 90% of all storage compartment keys (and other access hatches) are the same CH751 key.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #31
chgo_spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
There is no master key ... 90% of all storage compartment keys (and other access hatches) are the same CH751 key.
Sorry, by master key, I meant the black plastic covered door key. I'm assuming those are probably all the same too.
chgo_spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #32
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry, by master key, I meant the black plastic covered door key. I'm assuming those are probably all the same too.
I think there are about fifty different keys from two manufacturers but if you give the key number they will sell anyone a new key or a master ..... so they might as well be all the same.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 AM   #33
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Our 31BHPR has two doors. Each door has a different key. Actually, both keys operate the normal door lock of either door. But when it comes to the deadbolt in the door, only they key for that door operates the deadbolt.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote