Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
woodrow38

Possible slider moisture problem

I have a new 2010 Alpine, 3640. I got concerned when I was viewing some of the members experience with sliders with moisture problems as follows:

On RV.net there are members having trouble with Keystone sliders as follows, "where the base of the slider has swollen up and separated from rear wall. It appears moisture has caused the base sheet stock to swell up. Bottom of slides do not have a drip edge, so instead of the water dropping off, it runs under the finds its way in through either a staple/screw hole or the porous nature of the cover material."

Would appreciate hearing from any other Keystone owners if they are having the same problems and what they are doing to correct the major problem.

I have my Alpine on RV space 300 miles from where I live, so I'm planning to head up to my unit this week to check out and see if my sliders are experiencing the same moisture problem and warping at the seams. Its had a good test during this winter.
I have other problem issues with my Alpine such as very little heat out of the living room floor vents from the furnace. One member emailed me and has the same problem and discovered the heat ducts from the furnace area are cripped creating less flow of heat to the living room. But, member also detected in the area of the furnace there was no heat to protect the kitchen water pipes and holding tanks and he corrected this problem himself. Now he has lot of heat force to the living room. Member suggested to have a authorized dealer to correct this problem. Now I'm concerned when I will be using my Alpine this next winter 2011-12 some of the water pipes will freeze up even though I will have the furnace operating. What a bummer, as I'm experiencing one thing after another of problems and this unit will be spending majority of the time on warranty work. I only have until Aug 11 on warranty, but have a 5 year extended warranty which I'm not sure if they will give me a run around too.
Factory has told me there is no problem because my unit does not over 7 degrees difference in temp in the living room. I disagree with the factory on their thoughts. so, I'm going to check this heat problem out soon and tell the factory.

Woody
woodrow38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Handysam

Woody, I recall reading over on the other forum about those issues you are describing. If it were me personally, since there is still a warranty on the unit I would have them check it out. Now I know you said that the that there is no more than a seven degrees difference and to them that was not a problem, but I would make them prove that to me. On the leak issue, I would check it out thoroughly when you visit the unit. Try not to get to discouraged about the issues as they can all be fixed, and now is the time to do it while under warranty and before the camping season begins. One thing I did on our first trip was to check for holes in the corners from both the inside and outside of the slides, to see if I could see either inside or out . Let us know what you discover on your trip to the unit. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
woodrow38

Hi Sam,
I sent you a reply, but apparently it got lost so I will try my reply to you again.

Thanks for your suggestions on this slider, I will also do these checks when I get up their. I will let you know how the slider is doing.

My wife and I are getting very concerned about the Alpine with all the problems others are having and not only the slider.
Hope we don't have to spend most of our time in a motel and the trailer at a dealer getting repaired every week. I have only until Aug 21st on the warranty, but do have a extended warranty. I probably will be experiencing the extended warranty also later on and probably is not good news either.

Woody
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If at all possible, I would get as much of these issues solved while it is still under warranty. Leaks and any resulting damage caused by them are always problematic. As pointed out in the above post, they can be fixed and hopefully you will be able to get Keystone to do the right thing for you.
Not to sound pessimistic, but extended warranties usually do not cover leaks or damage caused by them. Yours may be different but I would take some time to read the fine print regarding leaks so you will know what to expect from the extended warranty.
If you can get to the moisture and leak problem sooner rather than later, it may help reduce any further damage that may result. Hope everything turns out well for you.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Handysam

Also remember, you can find horror stories on other forums about other manufacturers, its not just Keystones. Think of these like cars, they break, we get them fixed and move on. Its a bit more of a PIA because they have to be towed and so on, but it is what it is. I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of it. We are all here to help. Sam
Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
woodrow38

Thanks Sam for the encourement. Yes, I'm looking forward to spend lot time at our daughters place with this unit with no more problems as it's already set up on a RV space with full hook up. I'm not going to travel with it, so when I got it all set I was hoping I would not have to button up again the 2nd time.

Factory tells me my warranty is no good if I live in it as a full time Rver as these big 40 foot units are only for several day vacations. This is hard to believe as I'm going to do what I have planned and not keep in storage 24 7 like the factory hope you do.

Woody
Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
woodrow38

Thanks for your info. I will make sure I get all problems corrected before Aug 11.

Woody