Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2023, 06:36 AM   #1
garretrv

Which Drain Valve is Which?

Hi -

2007 Passport 240QS. I have yet to use it, but I'd like to understand better before I look like an idiot/hold people up when dumping.

I realize I can use trial & error, but it'd help my little brain to know which valve is which. I'm presuming one is gray, the other black. My gut feeling is the left one in the pic (forward one - above my "Front" text) is gray, but...

Anyone have any idea? TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	43504  
garretrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:26 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a link with the floorplan of the trailer;

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2008-...n-240qs-tr1093

Looking at the floorplan I would say your assessment is correct; the forward handle would be for the gray tank and the back one for the black. You could pour a quart of water into the kitchen sink and pull the forward handle to be sure.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:34 AM   #3
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by garretrv View Post
Hi -

2007 Passport 240QS. I have yet to use it, but I'd like to understand better before I look like an idiot/hold people up when dumping.

I realize I can use trial & error, but it'd help my little brain to know which valve is which. I'm presuming one is gray, the other black. My gut feeling is the left one in the pic (forward one - above my "Front" text) is gray, but...

Anyone have any idea? TIA
I didn't look so can't answer your question, but I have a suggestion once you fine out. I bought new handles, 2 gray (silver) and one black (I like to have spares), I put the silver handle on the gray dump valve and black on the other (at 77.5 I don't trust my memory any more)
Old 04-12-2023, 09:15 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the floorplan, I'd make an "educated guess" that the black tank is in the front (that's where the toilet is located) and the gray tank is behind that (because the sink/shower are aft of the toilet)...

That means the front handle is the black tank and the aft handle is the gray tank...

BTW, you have that "valterra garden hose cap" on upside down. It WILL NOT DRAIN the big part of the hose, and you're going to have a "pile of goopy poo" settling behind that cap. Turn it so the garden hose opening is at the bottom when it is installed on the trailer sewer hose adapter.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I didn't look so can't answer your question, but I have a suggestion once you fine out. I bought new handles, 2 gray (silver) and one black (I like to have spares), I put the silver handle on the gray dump valve and black on the other (at 77.5 I don't trust my memory any more)
Just a reminder to others!
The valve handle colors from the factory DO NOT necessarily indicate which tank they may open, it depends which box they took the valve out of.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:24 AM   #6
garretrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here's a link with the floorplan of the trailer;

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2008-...n-240qs-tr1093

Looking at the floorplan I would say your assessment is correct; the forward handle would be for the gray tank and the back one for the black. You could pour a quart of water into the kitchen sink and pull the forward handle to be sure.....

Thanks! I hadn't seen that info. The water in the sink is a good idea too - though I need to wait a few more weeks - I'm in Vermont about 30 miles from the Canadian border & we may still get some freezing weather.

Appreciate the tip on the cap - that's how the FO had it.

55 years - that's impressive!
Old 04-12-2023, 09:26 AM   #7
garretrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post

The forward handle has a red collar on it - though hard to see in the pic. Excellent idea on silver & black.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:27 AM   #8
garretrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just a reminder to others!
The valve handle colors from the factory DO NOT necessarily indicate which tank they may open, it depends which box they took the valve out of.

These came from the same box - they're both black
Old 04-12-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks! I hadn't seen that info. The water in the sink is a good idea too - though I need to wait a few more weeks - I'm in Vermont about 30 miles from the Canadian border & we may still get some freezing weather.

Appreciate the tip on the cap - that's how the FO had it.

55 years - that's impressive!

Refer to John's post #4. His assessment of the handle locations and functions are what I thought I was saying. The floorplan shown did not show a tongue and I was looking at the bed slide as the front of the trailer . So, front handle is probably the black tank (reference the floorplan) and back handle would be the gray. Note the furthest thing toward the front is going to be the toilet into the black tank. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:02 AM   #10
garretrv

Quote:
Refer to John's post #4. His assessment of the handle locations and functions are what I thought I was saying. The floorplan shown did not show a tongue and I was looking at the bed slide as the front of the trailer . So, front handle is probably the black tank (reference the floorplan) and back handle would be the gray. Note the furthest thing toward the front is going to be the toilet into the black tank. Sorry for the confusion.

Ha! I figure the front as the hitch end. In this camper, the bed slideout obscures the taillights - so that (to me) is the back.

But then I've never been accused of being too bright.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:22 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, I guess without the pic of the tongue on the right side of the floorplan I looked at it like looking at a truck/trailer and the front was to the left.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:45 PM   #12
garretrv

Quote:
Yes, I guess without the pic of the tongue on the right side of the floorplan I looked at it like looking at a truck/trailer and the front was to the left.

No worries! I really appreciate the help.

Now we can get into boats & discuss port & starboard and bow & stern...
Old 04-12-2023, 09:03 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
These came from the same box - they're both black
I meant the factory installed valves by factory employees.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:52 AM   #14
garretrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I meant the factory installed valves by factory employees.

My apologies - I should've been clearer in my lame attempt at humor. I meant the factory worker grabbed them from the same box since they're both black.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:13 AM   #15
cougarjim

My 2021 Keystone Crossroads Cruiser. Had two main dump valves.one silver marked black water and one black marked gray. Guess what. Labels on wrong valves.
cougarjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:35 AM   #16
Starfleetmarj

Valterra Hose Cap

With regards to John's post about the Valterra Hose cap, he is correct it is upside down. BUT... I would never drain my black tank by opening that little hose cap. That hose cap is for draining the gray water only when you hook up a hose to it. You don't want poop or tissue clogging the Valterra cap if you try to drain your black tank with it on. For draining the black tank, always use a 3" hose to drain into the your sewer connection. Most campgrounds don't allow dumping gray water on the ground.

Here is a helpful hint.....I always tell my friends, if they are buying a new or even a used trailer/RV, to video the walk through so when the old owner or the dealer is explaining how everything works, you have something to watch later encase you forget what was said. It sucks getting old and we can use a little reminder everyone once in a while!

2021 Merhow 40' LQ toyhauler (dog house)...we got a lot of dogs!
2020 Chevy 1 ton dually
Starfleetmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #17
Labboy

My Alpine has them labeled from the factory. They got one of the 3 right.
Labboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:15 PM   #18
garretrv

Thank you all for the replies!

The former owner didn't know much, so I'm on my own - but I'll figure it out.
I do find it surprising that the mfr wouldn't label drains correctly - kind of important in my opinion.

One thing the FO did say was that they did not use the toilet - so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd used a garden hose for gray water.

In another week or so I'll be comfortable with pouring some water down the sink - we hit 33F last night & I really don't need things busticated by freezing

Memory problems? Me? What was my name again?

Tags
drain