Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
Shakeydave

Just bought a 2017 Hideout 30RLDS

Well, Guys,, I am a relative newbie in the TT world.. Just bought a 2017 Hideout 30RLDS. Pulled it home (about 40 miles) with my 2011 F150 with the twin turbo V-6 (rated towing capacity 9500lbs). Equalizer hitch. Obviously it was empty, but the truck seemed to handle it pretty effortlessly. Shifted down on one long hill, running the truck in tow mode. Looking at ratings I am pushing the envelope. Do I need to shop for more truck? Budget has limits!
Shakeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeydave View Post
Well, Guys,, I am a relative newbie in the TT world.. Just bought a 2017 Hideout 30RLDS. Pulled it home (about 40 miles) with my 2011 F150 with the twin turbo V-6 (rated towing capacity 9500lbs). Equalizer hitch. Obviously it was empty, but the truck seemed to handle it pretty effortlessly. Shifted down on one long hill, running the truck in tow mode. Looking at ratings I am pushing the envelope. Do I need to shop for more truck? Budget has limits!
Welcome Dave, You should probably start your own thread. Couple things about the "rating" you specified; it is a fantasy. Sure the 1/2 ton can drag it down the road but your camper is 10K lbs loaded and 34'. That is just too much for any 1/2 ton. You have about 1000 lbs tongue weight plus you and whoever is in the truck with you, tools, camping stuff, etc. You will find that even if your payload isn't exceeded, the light truck will not be happy with a trailer that long. You are in 3/4 or better yet 1 ton zone. Read the other zillion threads that go over this time and again. Anyway, stay safe and enjoy your camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:37 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First, there are three "twin turbo V-6 engines available in the F150, The 2.7L, 3.5L and HO 3.5l. There is no comparison in performance or ratings between the engines, beyond V-6. Your truck, if it's rated to tow 9500 pounds, is in the "low end of max trailer ratings" so I'd suspect it's a 2.7L version ???

Post photos of your truck "yellow payload sticker and axle rating sticker" located on the driver's door pillar and give us more information on passengers/cargo that you typically carry in the truck and you'll get much better assessments of your rig's capability/deficiencies....

Some F150's are "capable light/mid weight trailer tow vehicles" and some F150's are better relegated to "getting the groceries".... From your post, there's no way of knowing where your F150 is positioned.....

ADDED: I moved your post to a new thread so you're not "pirating" someone else's thread.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Shakeydave

Thanks for the assist. I will learn how to use this forum! The truck is a crew cab, 3.5 liter, 4WD, 6 spd auto with selectable “tow”. It does have trans cooler. Truck will have two people and one dog. Lightweight toolbox in back. Not much to go in the camper. Clothing and food, kitchen stuff. I plan to try a short trip soon just to get a feel for the trucks capability.
Shakeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Welcome Dave, You should probably start your own thread. Couple things about the "rating" you specified; it is a fantasy. Sure the 1/2 ton can drag it down the road but your camper is 10K lbs loaded and 34'. That is just too much for any 1/2 ton. You have about 1000 lbs tongue weight plus you and whoever is in the truck with you, tools, camping stuff, etc. You will find that even if your payload isn't exceeded, the light truck will not be happy with a trailer that long. You are in 3/4 or better yet 1 ton zone. Read the other zillion threads that go over this time and again. Anyway, stay safe and enjoy your camper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeydave View Post
Thanks for the assist. I will learn how to use this forum! The truck is a crew cab, 3.5 liter, 4WD, 6 spd auto with selectable “tow”. It does have trans cooler. Truck will have two people and one dog. Lightweight toolbox in back. Not much to go in the camper. Clothing and food, kitchen stuff. I plan to try a short trip soon just to get a feel for the trucks capability.
How many times has this been posted? "We'll only travel short distances & we'll never load up the rv!".
Hate to inform you, whether you travel 5 miles or 500, empty or fully loaded, overloaded is overloaded
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote