Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #1
Bill-2020

Front Filon Wall Flexing While Towing - Problem?

I noticed a while back (mid-2020) that the front of the trailer wall flexes inward while towing. In the image, the area that is circled in red is what I can see most in the rear view mirror while underway, when the sun is on either my left or right side, after or before sun rise/set. Areas numbered 1, 2 and 4 between the horizontal supports are probably flexing as well, I just can't see it in the mirror. Area 1 maybe not so much since it's up higher and the air has already been directed upward from the lower areas.

I suppose if I do have a potential problem (that probably wouldn't show up until well after the 3 year structural warranty anyway) I could remove the two closets, remove the front luan paneling inside and add some reinforcing plywood between the aluminum supports.

BTW:Adding a tall fiberglass camper shell to the old TV didn't get the air flow up high enough to help this. The air just dove downward before colliding with the front of camper.

My concern is that over time, this flexing will eventually crack the filon at the areas of most flex. Or... am I just concerned over nothing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passport2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	31636  
Old 01-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I think that if you start paying attention to similarly built trailers on the highway, you'll find that probably around 25% of them do the same thing.

There's a "double edge sword" to building the lightest trailer possible" (ultra-lite construction) and building a trailer that withstands every condition.

That trade-off of light weight construction and "beefy construction" is what you're seeing.

Will it become an issue? Maybe, but probably not. I'd suspect that installing heavy plywood backers will affect your tongue weight and will impact your overall towing capacity much more than it will improve the flex in the fiberglass front sheet.

There are several "reasons" why that sheeting is used on low end trailers and, as the MSRP goes up, manufacturers transition to molded fiberglass caps. That said, I've seen more than a few molded caps that also flex when towed, along with billowing EPDM or TPO roofing membrane.

I'd suggest doing some more exploring before considering removal of the interior wall and reconstructing the front framework of the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
Bill-2020

Thanks, John. Previous Jayco was aluminum skinned and the front window didn’t allow the front to flex in like that. I have seen other aluminum fronts flexing in on trailers passing on the opposite side of the interstate. I have not noticed it on any other filon units yet, but again it’s best seen while the sun is a bit lower in the sky.

I’ll watch it carefully, for the next few years. If we traveled more I would have a larger concern. But if we traveled more then we would probably have a different camper anyway.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I would keep a watch on it and not be concerned unless some spider cracks start showing up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #5
JeffInDFW

With that front wall material flexing from wind buffeting, I always wonder about the effect it would have on the "water tight seal" around all of its edges, including where it rolls up into the roof area.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:09 AM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
With that front wall material flexing from wind buffeting, I always wonder about the effect it would have on the "water tight seal" around all of its edges, including where it rolls up into the roof area.
That’s where the flexible Dicor and other flexible sealants come into play. You have good point here, luckily we (RV owners) can clean and reapply sealants as needed along those edges and transitions. My biggest concern was the filon itself and cracking over time.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:46 AM   #7
Mmeyer

Bil I wonder if u could spray foam the cavity- wall space behind the luan. That would keep your tongue weight down. I would remove the luan a spay the cavity then re install luan. Look at a product called froth pack I use it when roofing freezer spaces it’s not cheap but I think it would do what you are looking to accomplish.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing