Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Spshg

Dometic DFMD35121

Anyone know where to order a sail switch for this furnace? Seems like it would be a good idea to have one on hand. Thx!
Spshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Contrary to what you may have read, sail switch failure is rare. It’s most often foreign debris that makes it stick. At any rate :

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/d...-with-bracket/

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...nt=Catch%20All

I’m sure there are more places, google is your friend.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
Spshg

Thx, we've had to pull the furnace out and clean the switch twice in the last 3 months...figured it might be handy to have one on hand. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've had to pull the sail switch and clean it that much, I'd first look at the cutout in the metal wall where the switch is mounted to see if there may be a bend or a shard of metal that catches dirt/dust causing the switch to bind. Possibly file the edges of the cutout opening just to make sure it's smooth.

Then, if the switch is binding that often from foreign "stuff" on the switch, I'd look at the return air pathway. I'd suspect that there is a "pocket of construction debris or other debris" that is "fueling the issue"....

As a comparison, we have/had until recently a GWP, who sheds terribly, sleeps directly in front of the furnace return air intake and in 6+ years of owning this trailer, we've never had a "fouled sail switch".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
Bill-2020

[QUOTE=chuckster57;430495]Welcome to the forum

Contrary to what you may have read, sail switch failure is rare. It’s most often foreign debris that makes it stick. At any rate :

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/d...-with-bracket/

Thanks for this -I'm adding a small heat vent to the bathroom to push some warm air in there, it's an icebox in the winter. I was about to make one myself now I don't need to... thanks again. Couldn't find one elsewhere.

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/a...adapter-36688/
Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

OP I would concur with the statements above. I've never had a sail switch failure - maybe I'm lucky. Had the last trailer 6 years and this one almost 1 and it has never been an issue (knock on wood). We also have a puppy that sheds and although we don't fulltime we did spend 7 months in it last year so we use it quite a bit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
Spshg

Thx, we'll take a look. We pulled it again this morning...didn't see any kind of dust or debris....pug it back in...hit the heat ...worked once....now just kicks on and turns back off? Like a sail switch issue???
Anything u can think of?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #8
Steveo57

Check out this video about the switch that I made. They have redesigned the bracket because there have been many many problems with the old style. That's why you can't find them anywhere as they are on backorder.

Like others have said. It's not a problem with the actual switch, they rarely fail. It's a problem with the bracket design.

https://youtu.be/_Go-GZG_U_0
Old 01-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
Spshg

Thx, going to give it a try!
Old 01-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #10
ChuckS

From the hundreds of posts I've read over the last six months or so the Dometic/Atwood furnace got a bunch of sail switches that just isn't cutting it..

A potential issue with these switches is.. once fur, lint, wood particles, etc interfere with the switch contacts being able to mate with good surface contact they begin to build up a film on the contact surfaces

Once this occurs the resistance of the circuit inline with the switch increases to the point that even if the paddle arm moves fully over to allow the contact surfaces to mate there is such a high resistance that the circuit "sees" an open and the igniter wont fire and gas valves won't open

Then you go in and remove the fur, etc and switch works for a few cycles and then it doesn't work or works intermittently

When you blow out the sail switch paddle arm area you aren't doing anything to to contact surfaces inside the switch because you cant get access without trying to take the switch body apart.

In the pic I habe added this is a small contact relay.. very much like the contacts inside your sail switch.. In the case of this relay the relay works and the contacts mate but the surface of the contacts is dirty and degrades the signal (low current 12 volts) that can pass across the contacts therefore making the switch unreliable

YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	contact1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	31578  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
From the hundreds of posts I've read over the last six months or so the Dometic/Atwood furnace got a bunch of sail switches that just isn't cutting it..

A potential issue with these switches is.. once fur, lint, wood particles, etc interfere with the switch contacts being able to mate with good surface contact they begin to build up a film on the contact surfaces

Once this occurs the resistance of the circuit inline with the switch increases to the point that even if the paddle arm moves fully over to allow the contact surfaces to mate there is such a high resistance that the circuit "sees" an open and the igniter wont fire and gas valves won't open

Then you go in and remove the fur, etc and switch works for a few cycles and then it doesn't work or works intermittently

When you blow out the sail switch paddle arm area you aren't doing anything to to contact surfaces inside the switch because you cant get access without trying to take the switch body apart.

In the pic I habe added this is a small contact relay.. very much like the contacts inside your sail switch.. In the case of this relay the relay works and the contacts mate but the surface of the contacts is dirty and degrades the signal (low current 12 volts) that can pass across the contacts therefore making the switch unreliable

YMMV
Excellent info, thanks for the insight. I'm keeping this in the back of my mind for future reference. I figure it's when, not if, this happens to us.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:10 AM   #12
ChuckS

Jus this morning I read another 15 posts on various groups (not Keystone RVs) with same issue with Dometic Atwood furnace on late model units failing to work..

Symptoms.. blower comes on, no ignition sound and no light..

5 were on brand new RVs 2021 units... Jayco, Grand Design...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:12 AM   #13
Spshg

We did this and it worked for about 5 days...just enough time to get the new switch! Thank you!

Tags
dometic