Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
lightning79

BBQ to trailer connection

Hello friends,

Well, February's almost done, I've been looking at camp destinations for my summer, so I'm getting all excited!

So I have a Springdale 179, and I'm wondering if I can have a BBQ attachment to it. I've seen more expensive unit with a propane valve that can connect a BBQ hose to it. The one's I've seen have had a valve on the propane hose that runs under the trailer, length-wise.

Can I have someone install something like this?

Kevin
Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Kevin -
You're in luck. Bob Landry, one of our members, has just written a tutorial on this subject and you can read all about it by going to the Modifications and Upgrades section of the forum and look for his Sticky - "Gas Grill & Camp Stove Conversions". I think this will help to answer your question.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
SlowPoke

Hi lightning79! You're in luck... The great thing about RV's are that they are almost always designed to be modified. With either YOUR ingenuity, and a few bucks or a good service center, and quite a few MORE bucks, you can upgrade, add and update all you want.

With that in mind, I'm working on re doing my Passport 3180RE setup for the standard Aussie grill that came with it. For some ridiculous reason they moved the mount for the grill from the side of the TT to the rear bumper. That would be fine on any other TT, but the 3180RE has a slideout on the same side at the rear. So when using the swing out attachment for the grill, its hidden behind the slideout. Of course, not under the awning (cooking in the rain) and away from the group, if you hang out with your family and cook at the same time. I'm looking into locating the old attachment bracket from somewhere, and moving the Quickconnect for the gas hookup to just in front of the door which to me would be much more useful.

For you you would need the Sidekick style grill, a bracket to mount to the exterior of your TT, and merge a valve into the existing gas line running down the bottom side of your TT. I'll try to get some more info for you, and post an update. More than likely though, someone who has done this already will surely jump in and post the details before I'm able to get back.

I'll see what I can find for ya!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
lightning79

Thanks Festus, I'll look!

Slowpoke, I appreciate your informative post. I'd be looking at getting a very small table-top grill and running a propane hose to it from the trailer. Does that sound feasible?

Kevin
Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
SlowPoke

Feasibility is in the eyes of the beholder...wait did that sound right??

Anyway, Festus2 was quick to the draw in steering you the right direction before I could even finish typing the first reply. That's great people at work for ya

If that is what fits your needs, sounds like a great way to do it. Anytime you don't have to drill into the side of your TT, you have just made future possible issues disappear! Many people have not felt comfortable with a heat source as close as a side mount grill would be, to the side of their TT. Your solution would be great. Just keep an eye on that gas line supplying your BBQ. Don't allow it to be in a location for innocent bystanders to walk on, or damage and you'll do just fine.

Post some pics of your endeavor, when you have the chance ! I'd be interested to check it out!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning79 View Post
Thanks Festus, I'll look!

Slowpoke, I appreciate your informative post. I'd be looking at getting a very small table-top grill and running a propane hose to it from the trailer. Does that sound feasible?

Kevin
That's what I do, as i'm not a fan of having a heat source close to the trailer. I use a Weber Baby Q that fits perfectly on an $8 TV snack table from Walmart. With the flexible hose I can move it around wherever I like. The hose is long enough to rout under the rear steps so no one trips on it.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
SlowPoke

Quote:
That's what I do, as i'm not a fan of having a heat source close to the trailer.
Well, after thinking about it, I think both of you have indirectly talked me into picking up a longer quick connect hose for mine rather than side mounting. Even though this wasn't my question, I find myself benefiting from it after trying to contribute. HAHA.

Thanks ya'll!