Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
reubenray

Early Retirement Forum?

Due to work related stress issues I have decided to retire early. Are there any particular retirement forums ya'll can recommend?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
hankaye

reubenray, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Due to work related stress issues I have decided to retire early. Are there any particular retirement forums ya'll can recommend?
This one is fine. Don't ya think???

hankaye

PS. You could find some fishin' or Bar-B-Quein' ones too....

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Pawpod

No sorry. Work stress, what stress!!
If you find one let us know!

Try open roads forum, they have a full time subforum. Maybe?

8 more long years
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

Due to recent economical troubles the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!!! Obviously you made it through you lucky guy! but like was recently stated what's wrong with here? enjoy retirement while i continue toand
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
billstuart

SaabDoctor,
The light at the end of the tunnel is still on, but chances are probably better than 50-50 that it's an oncoming train.
Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
reubenray

I did find a forum that is mainly for early retirees. It is located at http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/.

We will be moving back home in two days (Pearl River, La.) from Dallas. When I started to have headaches all the time and not sleeping unless I took a sleeping pill we started thinking about going back home. But we was wanting to finish this job for my bonuses. Our homes for the past 23 years has been just a place to visit for one weekend a month. We had our future retirement home built in 2005. When I snapped at my wife on her birthday to a simple question about work I figured it was time to call it quits and gave up on the bonuses. We both work for the same company, so gave up two great paying jobs.

I will be turning 61 next month and we could actually float for the year if we wanted to. I have some money that came from both of my parents passing away this year (2 months apart) for their property being sold. My wife is 5 years younger, so she will still need to work. But she says I will also need to at least get a part time job.

I already have it figured out what I should get from SS plus what I can draw out of my retirement funds. Our first thing to do once we get back home is get doctor and dentist appointments before our insurance runs out. This is my only concern. If by chance something is wrong with me we will have to buy the Cobra plan to pay for it. If nothing is wrong then we will just get a new health insurance plan.

Being we have worked out of state so much we basically have two households of furniture in one place. This will have to be sorted out and stuff will have to be sold. For example I have two HD projector setups (screen included), two DD audio setups with speakers, 4 other HDTV's, 3 blu-ray players and two DVD players. This also means doubles of everything except a washer and dryer.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Ruffus

Talking Early Retirement

Congrads on the early retirement, I've done it five times now and at 65 I'm thinking about going back to work for a year or two. Retirement is hard and it seems harder for people with high stress jobs that managed people. You go from someone with responcibilty to what our kids use to call (lovenly) a bum. My DW had to point out to me that I was depressed because she continued to work while I was at home. I did however become a great cook and wine conisuier. Now that we both are retired I still cook and she does dishes. It is nice to be able to travel when ever you want, just got back from a trip to Colorado and Kansas two days ago.
Good luck with retirement and enjoy life.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
gbsb

I retired at fifty nine and a half. My wife retired at the same time she is fifty five. I like you could not handle the job any longer and wife said she wasn't working if I didn't. We had sold our house and land several years earlier and moved into our fifth wheel to see how we liked living fulltime in an rv. It has been great for us would not go back to a house for nothing. We travel some and stay for several weeks at a time, fuel cost is our largest expence. We go back to Texas for the winter and get all our Doctor stuff done. We are both healthy and enjoy our life style. Good luck on your new adventure.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
JeffS

Congrats I to have just retired, in fact this is day 8, but mine was NOT early. Anyway, here is a link to one of the finest retirement sites.

http://flyanglersonline.com/
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
michaeliack

Met with my financial adviser last week. Asked the question "when is the soonest I can retire?" She looked at me and laughed. I should mention that I'm 37 with two young kids. Nonetheless, I'm already itching to make my weekend traveling more permanent... Congratulations on your accomplishment!
michaeliack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I retired the first time from the Air Force at age 42, then was in private practice for a short while, went to work for the Veteran's Administration in Hospital Primary Care. I retired from that at age 62, just as my wife was reaching her career goals in Hospital management. We sold our Louisiana holdings, moved to Michigan, downsized somewhat and thought we'd be doing part time work to stay afloat.

I can say that retirement is much less expensive than I imagined (so far) and my wife begins collecting her social security this year. We've been very VERY fortunate along life's journey, but both of us are truly enjoying our retirement much more than we ever imagined.

It's really nice to watch the RV's leaving on Sunday afternoon and taking ours to the "choice campsite" on Monday...... <wink>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
BetterLife

Have you considered retiring outside the US? There's a great series of seminars coming up for folks who want to leave the rat race behind and live in Thailand permanently.

Thailand is one of the few places in the world that combines hot weather, a variety of delicious food, friendly (and loving) people, excellent (and inexpensive) medical care and the possibility of living a Western lifestyle for about half or a third of the cost of any typical American or British city. And it's safe. There's no graffiti or vandalism or hooliganism and hardly any violence.

Let us tell you exactly how you can live a better life by moving to Thailand and also how to generate an extra modest income from home so that you can live in luxury.

Please click here for more details. We're coming to meet potential retirees (or long-term 'winter' visitors) in London October 6-7, Seattle October 20-21 and Los Angeles November 3-4.

Please contact me by PM if you have questions.
Gary Orman
A Better Life, Inc.
BetterLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterLife View Post
Have you considered retiring outside the US? There's a great series of seminars coming up for folks who want to leave the rat race behind and live in Thailand permanently.

Thailand is one of the few places in the world that combines hot weather, a variety of delicious food, friendly (and loving) people, excellent (and inexpensive) medical care and the possibility of living a Western lifestyle for about half or a third of the cost of any typical American or British city. And it's safe. There's no graffiti or vandalism or hooliganism and hardly any violence.

Let us tell you exactly how you can live a better life by moving to Thailand and also how to generate an extra modest income from home so that you can live in luxury.

Please click here for more details. We're coming to meet potential retirees (or long-term 'winter' visitors) in London October 6-7, Seattle October 20-21 and Los Angeles November 3-4.

Please contact me if you have questions.
Gary Orman
A Better Life, Inc.
[email protected]

Not sure if this is SPAM or just an innocent ad from a travel company. Either way, most of the people on this forum have family, travel in North America as a way to see our continent, but stay close to home and kids/grand kids. Staying in touch is important and few (if any) of us would want to give up our RV'ing lifestyle for a bungalow in Thailand.

--- Just sayin'

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote